•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Start of C27 - Crescent Nebula

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 lakeorion

lakeorion

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Lake Orion MI

Posted 08 August 2021 - 11:35 AM

1st hour of Ha on Caldwell 27 the Crescent Nebula.  WO Star 71, QHY 183M, Astronomik 6 nm Ha.  Red zone suburban driveway with neighbors porch lights on and cars driving by.

Just calibration, stack, and STF stretch in PI.

2021-08-07_Ha_integrations.jpg

Follow up will include lots of OIII also.  I tried two frames of SII, and there is some, even some in the clouds to the left, but I'm going to apply the 80/20 rule and skip SII.

• mikewayne3, BinoGuy, kathyastro and 5 others like this

#2 mborland

mborland

Mariner 2

• Loc: Chicago

Posted 08 August 2021 - 12:35 PM

It's a good start. Lots of nice detail, particularly in the surrounding clouds. The only significant SII I found in the Crescent itself was near the top right and bottom left (in the orientation of your image). It doesn't change the image much, so ignoring it is not a bad choice.

I ended doing nearly equal amounts with each filter (2.5h Ha, 2.7h O3, 2.8h S2) to try to get some color differences. You can kind of see a hint of it in my final image

https://flic.kr/p/2mdEAqZ

I sympathize with your issues with porch lights and cars. Sometimes my neighbors sit in their cars with the lights on, lighting up my telescope. I don't think they're malicious, just indifferent. An extra-long dew shield helps.

--Michael

• BinoGuy likes this

#3 ChiTownXring

ChiTownXring

Viking 1

• Loc: Sugar Grove, IL

Posted 08 August 2021 - 01:31 PM

I agree this is a great start, now go out and grab many, many more hours on this target and really make it pop.. Oh and that goes for any other targets in the future..

#4 lakeorion

lakeorion

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 August 2021 - 01:56 PM

It's a good start. Lots of nice detail, particularly in the surrounding clouds. The only significant SII I found in the Crescent itself was near the top right and bottom left (in the orientation of your image). It doesn't change the image much, so ignoring it is not a bad choice.

I ended doing nearly equal amounts with each filter (2.5h Ha, 2.7h O3, 2.8h S2) to try to get some color differences. You can kind of see a hint of it in my final image

https://flic.kr/p/2mdEAqZ

I sympathize with your issues with porch lights and cars. Sometimes my neighbors sit in their cars with the lights on, lighting up my telescope. I don't think they're malicious, just indifferent. An extra-long dew shield helps.

--Michael

Thanks - good to see your example, shows me I'll have to go deep on OIII.  In light pollution, OIII is a little tougher.  I took 5 frames last night and nothing similar to that is showing.

• mborland likes this

#5 matt_astro_tx

matt_astro_tx

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 08 August 2021 - 05:39 PM

Great start. Keep at it!

#6 lakeorion

lakeorion

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 September 2021 - 11:24 AM

I think I'm getting to the point of diminishing returns and I'm calling it on this target.  On to others.

52 x 5 min Ha, 125 x 5 min OIII.  WO Star 71, QHY 183M, Astronomik filters.  Red zone suburban driveway with neighbors porch lights on and cars driving by.

2021-09-55 C27 post.jpg

About 5:00 position from the main attraction at the edge of the picture look for the bonus object.  Once I knew he was in the FOV it was go big or go home - I had to 'pop the bubble.'  The Soap Bubble Nebula was only confirmed as an object in 2008, and I couldn't find a listed magnitude, but can certify it is 'faint.'

• John Gauvreau, mikewayne3, BinoGuy and 4 others like this

#7 Oort Cloud

Oort Cloud

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Jersey, USA

Posted 26 September 2021 - 11:40 AM

--Michael

As does tall fencing and/or tall shrubs or trees. I've been letting my shrubs go and not trimming them at all because doing so created a nice large space where I can put my scope so it is shaded from most of the lights that all my neighbors on all sides insist on running all over their back yards all night, every night. Eventually I plan to install 6' privacy fence around my entire yard so I can have more options for where to place my imaging rig.
  • jonnybravo0311 likes this

#8 ChiTownXring

ChiTownXring

Viking 1

• Loc: Sugar Grove, IL

Posted 26 September 2021 - 03:32 PM

I like it.. and remember Art is never finished only abandoned. ... Leonardo Da Vinci

#9 Rightmid08

Rightmid08

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: DFW, Texas

Posted 30 September 2021 - 06:05 PM

Your end result is terrific.  Well done.

I'm still learning and turns out was aiming for C27 this month, too.

Somehow the nebula ended up looking blue.  While this might be pretty, I just couldn't find any red tones no matter how I processed it.

I am using an ASI183MC Pro, an L-Enhance filter, and DSS for stacking.  Stacked ~90 mins of lights, and I used flats and darks (same gain value, etc.).

Any ideas?  A setting in DSS, maybe?  My DSS output has a strong, greenish hue, more than what I've seen w the L-Enhance filter before when I got good color results for the Veil and Orion.

Thanks.

Mike

#10 Oort Cloud

Oort Cloud

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Jersey, USA

Posted 30 September 2021 - 06:34 PM

Your end result is terrific. Well done.
I'm still learning and turns out was aiming for C27 this month, too.
Somehow the nebula ended up looking blue. While this might be pretty, I just couldn't find any red tones no matter how I processed it.
I am using an ASI183MC Pro, an L-Enhance filter, and DSS for stacking. Stacked ~90 mins of lights, and I used flats and darks (same gain value, etc.).

Any ideas? A setting in DSS, maybe? My DSS output has a strong, greenish hue, more than what I've seen w the L-Enhance filter before when I got good color results for the Veil and Orion.

Thanks.

Mike

Sounds like maybe your debayer pattern is set with BGGR instead of RGGB. Check the FITS tab under settings. Pretty sure the 183 is RGGB, but maybe someone who owns one can confirm. Greenish hue is normal due to the extra green pixel, and higher sensitivity to green light. Needs to be removed through color calibration in post.

Edited by Oort Cloud, 30 September 2021 - 06:34 PM.

#11 Lindeqp

Lindeqp

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 14 October 2021 - 02:32 AM

Great result, and well done on the Soap Bubble nebula!

Could you post your OIII stacked and calibrated image, if you don't mind?

I have just finished an Ha RGB combination of C27 and would like to see the additional contrast that the OIII images would bring.

Thanks.

#12 lakeorion

lakeorion

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 October 2021 - 05:39 AM

The problem with Cygnus is there really is no black 'background.'  It's all full of gas and stars.  This is my OIII integration with just a PixInsight ScreenTransferFunction applied.  As you see there's Oxygen everywhere.  Targets like this eventually reach a point of diminishing returns, 10 hours of OIII is pushing my patience because I can only image a few hours a month.  My goal was to highlight the OIII shell around the Crescent and be able to distinguish the Soap Bubble.

gallery_133907_17968_14142192.jpg

#13 Lindeqp

Lindeqp

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 14 October 2021 - 06:35 AM

Great, thanks very much.

Really appreciate you posting the OIII integration as it clearly shows the shell around the Crescent. Well worth doing then, I shall perservere with getting the OIII images.

Living in the UK, I share your pain of limited opportunity to image. I now have 68 Ha and 92 RGB images, but started this project on 27 August!

Pieter

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics