•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

6" Mak or Classical Cassegrain?

Beginner Cassegrain Maksutov
  • Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#26 2112_Mike

2112_Mike

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kuna Idaho

Posted 05 September 2021 - 09:13 PM

The GSO 6" Classical Cassagrain is a bargain for $500.  I did have to tweak the collimation once it arrived but since then I have been very happy with the views of the planets, double stars and even some DSO's although I have other scopes for that purpose.  Below is my 2nd try at imaging.  Basically the scope will put up a better image than I am yet capable of rendering...learning curve.  I did own a 6" Mak for a couple of months but I could never get it to acclimate so I sold it and bought the GSO 6" CC and have not had any cool down issues with it.

The 6" CC is definitely a unique instrument and fills a niche in my modest collection with its focal length and design.

Saturn Stack 20 of 10000.jpg

• eros312 and Terra Nova like this

#27 Bob W4

Bob W4

Sputnik

• Loc: Waterloo, iowa

Posted 09 September 2021 - 07:58 PM

Hi Maks343.  I’m no expert, but my vote is for a 6” Mak.  I own the Ioptron 150mm Mak and it is my favorite, most used scope. It puts up jaw dropping lunar and planetary views while “cruising” at 300X.  Maks are built like a tank, and mine has never needed collimation.  The previous owner shipped it to me from Delaware and it arrived in perfect collimation.  My Celestron C8 SCT on the other hand, needs collimation before every observing session.  Collimating a scope before every use is no real big deal, but it just plain gets old.  I set my Mak outdoors in the shade hours before use, so long cool down times are no problem.  However, I doubt a CG4 mount will support the heavy Ioptron, but maybe the lighter weight Synta models will ride OK.   Just my 2 cents.  Let us know what you decide.

Bob

• Maks343 likes this

#28 Maks343

Maks343

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Nebraska

Posted 09 September 2021 - 08:30 PM

Bob,

Thanks for the input.  After much consideration and input from CNers (one in particular has been extremely helpful) and even the guy who's store sells the CC, I decided that the MCT is far more newbie-friendly and forgiving.  So I have picked up a Meade M6 from someone here on CN, and the LX70 mount from another astro seller mart.  I look forward to getting everything in my hands and up and running.

Mike

• RAKing, eros312, 72Nova and 1 other like this

#29 RajG

RajG

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: NJ

Posted 10 September 2021 - 08:20 AM

Congratulations. Wish you many clear, sleepless nights and happy stargazing. wink.gif   

#30 photoracer18

photoracer18

Skylab

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 10 September 2021 - 12:01 PM

I stick my heavier Intes MK-67 on an Orion Star Seeker IV for travel sometimes even though its near the limit of the mount. Works better on my AP400QMD or my SV M2D. MK-67 is a fixed optics Mak, which I prefer and added a Starlight focuser sometime ago.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Beginner, Cassegrain, Maksutov

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics