•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Where is everyone?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: West Virginia

Posted 10 August 2021 - 05:39 PM

We worked really hard to get our own NV forum, and we had a ton of discussions over on the EAA side. But it seems like now it's quite sparse.

Maybe it's the skies being hazy...but it just seems like people have been very quiet recently. I know Eddgie took a break for a bit, but did other NV folks move on to something else?

#2 Scottz4897

Scottz4897

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 10 August 2021 - 05:51 PM

I agree. I just assumed since through the late spring/
early-mid summer, it doesn’t get dark till late, so not many people stay up to break out their night vision. Last month, for myself, it was 11PM and the sun is still setting so the sky glow recked the enjoyment. With it getting darker earlier, any chance I get now, assuming sky conditions are good to go, I bring out the PVS 7 and brings back that excitement.

Hope to see more engagement!
  • ShaulaB likes this

#3 GeezerGazer

GeezerGazer

Apollo

• Loc: Modesto, CA

Posted 11 August 2021 - 01:15 AM

In 2020, I observed less than any year since 2001... this year, I've had even fewer opportunities for observing.  Sky conditions have become worse.  In winter, we have fog; in summer (for the past 5 years) we have smoke from wildfires.  Right now, conditions here are untenable in the Central Valley of Northern California.  My most productive observing seasons are Spring and Fall.  So when observing is a no go, I concentrate on other interests.  

CN provides a platform for our social network to share information, ideas, and opinions.  If you allow, you can spend inordinate amounts of time in this forum, until one day you decide that too much of your time is spent here.  This has happened to many members.  From 2017 to 2020, there was hardly a day that I did not check in to read new posts about NV.  Today, I check the NV forum about every 3-4 days.  

A couple of months ago, I emailed Eddgie.  He is fine, is still observing with NV, but decided to step back from CN as he was spending far too much time here, answering questions and giving advice.  He said that what he enjoyed most about the NV forum was reading observing reports, but that observing reports had become fewer and farther between.  Having just scanned the first page of our NV threads, I only saw one that dealt with observing... all of the others are about equipment.  Ed did say hello to everyone and if you have a specific question for him, you can PM him.  

There is a slow turnover in our forum participation.  When I started actively reading NV posts in early 2016, the members who posted regularly were very nearly all different than those who post today.  In 2005, when I bought a Collins i3 NVD, there was very little information available that dealt with its application to astronomy and few NV posts actually existed in the Eyepiece Forum or the Observing Forum.  Today, almost any question a new user might have can be answered with a search here or with a Google search, which usually leads back to this forum.  There is a wealth of information already written about NV, and many of the questions that are asked have been answered many times.

Most NV users are pretty active observers.  We use NV to see more and it does present the means by which we achieve that goal.  But the total number of NV users has always been small, compared to glass eyepiece observers.  This means that when a few NV users take a holiday from posting, it's pretty obvious.  

There are two more reasons why posting sometimes falls off.  One is when a violation of forum rules occurs and posting privileges are revoked.  We never know when this happens because the rules also prevent disclosure.  But it happened in 2019 to several EAA and NV users who violated a new image posting rule that was later rescinded.  NV posts fell like a rock for about a month.  The other reason is when people who post are put down by someone with a different opinion.  This happens occasionally, and when it does, it makes people wonder why they should spend their time here.  It's OK to post a different opinion, but "attacking" someone's opinion has always been prohibited by the rules for good reason.  

Those are my thoughts... but the current low volume of new posts might be due to the smoke from California that currently covers more than half of the US.  That would be the simplest answer.  lol.gif

• Joko and longbond like this

#4 Joko

Joko

Vendor - OVNI

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: FRANCE, EUROPE

Posted 11 August 2021 - 01:52 AM

In my opinion, there are 3 main reasons :

- I know several people who left the NV forum and decided not to post anymore, all for a similar reason i won't explain here.

- Many NV users are not on Cloudynights. Because many NV users are not from the USA and/or don't speak english.

- There are Astronomy NV groups outside Cloudynights with great NV discussions, pics and observations reports.

But i hope this NV subforum will remain active too.

Edited by Joko, 11 August 2021 - 04:33 AM.

• GeezerGazer and careysub like this

#5 Trentend

Trentend

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 11 August 2021 - 03:18 AM

Still here and keeping the NV faith! Just waiting for those dark and clear nights to return here in Scotland (the latter though increasingly a challenge).

Personally just need to ensure I don’t become a kit collector rather than observer. Lockdown hasn’t helped, but I can’t wait to share some of my viewing experiences with the local astronomy club when rules allow. 

• GeezerGazer and Joko like this

#6 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 11 August 2021 - 06:18 AM

Great insights guys. That all makes sense. I have to admit it's been a long time since I have been able to use my scope with night vision. Sky conditions have been crazy. When I do I'll try to give more observing reports.

#7 bobhen

bobhen

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 11 August 2021 - 06:40 AM

Increasing age has me going to bed earlier but here in PA the sky has been getting worse for the last 10 years and that has been the biggest issue. Around 6 years ago I even mentioned the worsening sky conditions in my observing log. And with NV I’m "not considering" the ever-increasing light pollution. There seems to be more water in the atmosphere, which means more cloudy nights.

And the weather has become more violent as well. Last month, just 20-40 miles from my house, we had a 9-tornado day! One was an EF3. This is an “extremely rare” event in PA. But these days, these more violent storms seem to be happening more during the summer.

We even get smoke from the CA fires and that really hurts the sky. So spring and summer, which were never the best, are now really terrible.

NV is really fantastic and it is a techno-miracle what NV can show in light pollution. But NV can’t cut through clouds, more water vapor, high humidity, smoke, etc.

Bob

Edited by bobhen, 11 August 2021 - 06:41 AM.

• GeezerGazer and ShaulaB like this

#8 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 11 August 2021 - 06:50 AM

Increasing age has me going to bed earlier but here in PA the sky has been getting worse for the last 10 years and that has been the biggest issue. Around 6 years ago I even mentioned the worsening sky conditions in my observing log. And with NV I’m "not considering" the ever-increasing light pollution. There seems to be more water in the atmosphere, which means more cloudy nights.

And the weather has become more violent as well. Last month, just 20-40 miles from my house, we had a 9-tornado day! One was an EF3. This is an “extremely rare” event in PA. But these days, these more violent storms seem to be happening more during the summer.

We even get smoke from the CA fires and that really hurts the sky. So spring and summer, which were never the best, are now really terrible.

NV is really fantastic and it is a techno-miracle what NV can show in light pollution. But NV can’t cut through clouds, more water vapor, high humidity, smoke, etc.

Bob

Yeah. Those tornadoes were surprising. I had one night it was perfectly clear, but I could only see Arcturus and Vega.

I lived in St. Louis before moving here to WV and I lost quite a few clear nights here. And in St Louis the violent weather would really clear out the sky and the next day would be great.

That said I like living here quite a bit more.
  • GeezerGazer and ShaulaB like this

#9 highfnum

highfnum

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NE USA

Posted 11 August 2021 - 11:04 AM

just took a NV break for a while

as the famous line goes

"I'll be back"

I recently picked up a AT115

this is my most recent

tried my L3 on it -  m27

at115nv27.jpg

Edited by highfnum, 11 August 2021 - 11:10 AM.

• GeezerGazer, GOLGO13, ShaulaB and 1 other like this

#10 Trentend

Trentend

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 11 August 2021 - 03:16 PM

I’m up in the Scottish Highlands tomorrow with the family. Unfortunately no space for the C11 but clear skies and the Persiads are due so we’re taking deck chairs for some viewing. Looks like Bortle 1 skies where we are and no moon so should be great. Wonder if it’s worth me taking the mak127 (not the best for NV) and NV goggles? Hoping to finally get Gavster level Milky Way views hand held. Will report back.

Edited by Trentend, 11 August 2021 - 03:19 PM.

• ShaulaB likes this

#11 Dale Eason

Dale Eason

Vanguard

• Loc: Roseville,Mn.

Posted 11 August 2021 - 11:25 PM

Smoke cleared tonight.   So went out to play with NV hand held and to try out several of my Nikon lenses now that I 3D printed 2 inch filter adapters for them.   I had played with them a few years ago by hand holding filters to them.   My main interest was the Nikkor 135mm.   That gave my 6x and I was way to wiggly with it.   The other issue was North America is almost straight over head.   My neck hurts.  I think the transparency was not great as I never found the Veil with either the 3nm or 7nm HA.   Did see Pac man was a fuzzy blob.   Overall I have had better nights.   It did not help that I'm still recovering from hip replacement.

I also played with a 35 to 70mm F3.5-F4.5 zoom.   It was too slow for my enjoyment except with the 685 long pass in my Bortle 8 ish skies.

Dale

#12 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 11 August 2021 - 11:29 PM

Smoke cleared tonight. So went out to play with NV hand held and to try out several of my Nikon lenses now that I 3D printed 2 inch filter adapters for them. I had played with them a few years ago by hand holding filters to them. My main interest was the Nikkor 135mm. That gave my 6x and I was way to wiggly with it. The other issue was North America is almost straight over head. My neck hurts. I think the transparency was not great as I never found the Veil with either the 3nm or 7nm HA. Did see Pac man was a fuzzy blob. Overall I have had better nights. It did not help that I'm still recovering from hip replacement.

I also played with a 35 to 70mm F3.5-F4.5 zoom. It was too slow for my enjoyment except with the 685 long pass in my Bortle 8 ish skies.

Dale

I picked up a old 135mm f2.8 lens and while it is nice, I find it's too heavy to hand hold. So back to my 50mm guide scope.

Glad you got out. Was stormy here.

#13 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 11 August 2021 - 11:39 PM

Of course I look outside and it's beautiful out. Though the deck is wet. But I had a long day and am going to sleep instead.

#14 Mazerski

Mazerski

Viking 1

Posted 12 August 2021 - 08:19 AM

The other issue was North America is almost straight over head.   My neck hurts. 

Dale

Dale,

To eliminate the neck issue, a simple solution is a patio chair. I can look overhead with no problem.

Attached Thumbnails

• PC.JPG

#15 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 12 August 2021 - 09:30 AM

I usually lay on the ground. I do have a sunbathing chair I use sometimes also. More comfortable than the ground.

#16 Dale Eason

Dale Eason

Vanguard

Posted 12 August 2021 - 03:54 PM

Dale,

To eliminate the neck issue, a simple solution is a patio chair. I can look overhead with no problem.

To most people that would sound like a simple idea.   However I can only use my drive way and chairs can not stay out there.  Since I broke my hip in January there is no way I can move any of my camping lounge chairs to there.   Let alone get in and out of one.  There will come a time when that will be possible.  Right now all I can get is me and the NV out on the drive way at night.  Sky looks really good for tonight however.  Currently the most powder blue I have seen in months.

• ShaulaB likes this

#17 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 12 August 2021 - 04:02 PM

To most people that would sound like a simple idea. However I can only use my drive way and chairs can not stay out there. Since I broke my hip in January there is no way I can move any of my camping lounge chairs to there. Let alone get in and out of one. There will come a time when that will be possible. Right now all I can get is me and the NV out on the drive way at night. Sky looks really good for tonight however. Currently the most powder blue I have seen in months.

Wishing you great luck with the sky tonight. Mine is looking a bit promising also.

#18 Jim4321

Jim4321

Skylab

• -----
  • Loc: Asheville

Posted 12 August 2021 - 04:30 PM

I haven't given up, but also haven't been out observing for over a year.  My only practical spot this time year is too public, with lots of looky lou's dropping by.  I'm fully vaccinated, but at 72 with a prior history of long-term smoking and pneumonia, I ain't taking no chances.  But I still check by more or less daily.

Jim H.

#19 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 12 August 2021 - 09:53 PM

Well, when you get equipment delivered we shouldn't be surprised that big thunderstorms are overhead. More stuff coming tomorrow.

#20 Dale Eason

Dale Eason

Vanguard

Posted 13 August 2021 - 01:20 AM

Ok,  What a night with Night Vision.  I have to confess that it was so good and I"m so munch more healed. I had my son dig the reclining lawn chair out and we both used it to good advantage to just look up with the NV hand held at about 4x.   Tonight was as good as I ever remember it getting.  No smoke and moon set by midnight.

Instead of playing with my seldom used lenses I settled on the Nikkor 85mm F1.8 the 3nm HA and 685 long pass as my kit for the night.

All the Nebulae were out and visible.   To start with North America and all those surrounding it nearby.  The Veil was almost in the same field of veiw  Pickerings triangle as well as stuff  between the eastern and western sections.  That complex of wifts and blobs that are above Gamma Cygni were all shinning.  I could see the blob that the propeller is in but not the propeller itself.   Choose your favorite NV summer nebula and each was visible.  Moved over to Cass to see Heart and Soul then scan straight up to catch sh2-171 and ced 214.  Scan over to Cas to see PacMan.  Then head east toward Elephant trunk and see Neb after Neb that I don't really know the names of but the Bubble, Cave and Wizard are amount them.

Looking south with the Long Pass.  I scanned down from Antares to find the Sagittarius star cloud and the clouds of the Milky way picking up M22 along the way.   Followed the Milky way clouds back up into Cygnus.  What fun to see them in my light pollution.

For the finale I put the 3nm back on and looked south between the trees to see Lagoon, Trified and Eagle.

Showed it all to my son.   We had a blast.

Oh yes and I got in and out of the chair unassisted.   Yea. 

All of this from Bortle 8 to Bortle 7 skies.

• GeezerGazer, bobhen, GOLGO13 and 6 others like this

#21 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 13 August 2021 - 06:14 AM

Great report Dale!

#22 bobhen

bobhen

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 13 August 2021 - 06:22 AM

Ok,  What a night with Night Vision.  I have to confess that it was so good and I"m so munch more healed. I had my son dig the reclining lawn chair out and we both used it to good advantage to just look up with the NV hand held at about 4x.   Tonight was as good as I ever remember it getting.  No smoke and moon set by midnight.

Instead of playing with my seldom used lenses I settled on the Nikkor 85mm F1.8 the 3nm HA and 685 long pass as my kit for the night.

All the Nebulae were out and visible.   To start with North America and all those surrounding it nearby.  The Veil was almost in the same field of veiw  Pickerings triangle as well as stuff  between the eastern and western sections.  That complex of wifts and blobs that are above Gamma Cygni were all shinning.  I could see the blob that the propeller is in but not the propeller itself.   Choose your favorite NV summer nebula and each was visible.  Moved over to Cass to see Heart and Soul then scan straight up to catch sh2-171 and ced 214.  Scan over to Cas to see PacMan.  Then head east toward Elephant trunk and see Neb after Neb that I don't really know the names of but the Bubble, Cave and Wizard are amount them.

Looking south with the Long Pass.  I scanned down from Antares to find the Sagittarius star cloud and the clouds of the Milky way picking up M22 along the way.   Followed the Milky way clouds back up into Cygnus.  What fun to see them in my light pollution.

For the finale I put the 3nm back on and looked south between the trees to see Lagoon, Trified and Eagle.

Showed it all to my son.   We had a blast.

Oh yes and I got in and out of the chair unassisted.   Yea. 

All of this from Bortle 8 to Bortle 7 skies.

That's what it's all about!

Maybe you should post this over in the refractor (should we admit aperture is limited) thread to show what is possible with an 85mm camera lens!

Bob

• AllStarez likes this

#23 PEterW

PEterW

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: SW London, UK

Posted 13 August 2021 - 02:24 PM

Lockdown has stopped me getting to club dark sessions and so I’ve been spending some time on other subforum. Still about, still puts a smile on my face when I point the system at my urban skies and they light up with stars. As has been noted, we’ve pretty much answered all the NV questions that exist… waiting for a new widget to change things… come on Televue/joko!

Peter
  • Joko likes this

#24 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 13 August 2021 - 02:46 PM

Yeah. We'll have to start doing more observing reports.

#25 Joko

Joko

Vendor - OVNI

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: FRANCE, EUROPE

Posted 13 August 2021 - 03:36 PM

waiting for a new widget to change things… come on Televue/joko!

Peter

I'm alreading working on new accessories.

So let me know the widget you want and i will check if i can make it. smile.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics