•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Romance of SCT's!!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 werewolf6977

werewolf6977

Lord High Smasher

• topic starter

Posted 15 May 2004 - 10:06 AM

Sygzy! You gone and made me do it!! I love my SCT. I get the mags available to a slow refractor with the light gathering power of an 8" Newt! It's very portsble, and comes in a small package! Like I said, I can get killer mags without having to invest LARGE sums of money in ultrashort f/l eps, and there is no CA that I can observe! Now some of the nay-sayers are screaming CO! CO! At the top of their lungs, but so what? I ran the math, and my Nexstar 8, allowing for CO has the area of a 6.75" refractor. Now, how much would a 6.75 inch APO cost? $10,000.00? $15,000? If it costs $15,000.00, well bleep, I can go ahead and get a Mead 16" SCT for that price! Let's see the refractor boys top that! :dabomb: I hope that's not a troll, if it is, PM me, and let me know. I will reiterate though that the best scope is the one that gets used. Clear Dark Skies to everyone!! Pete

#2 Blueshark928

Blueshark928

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 15 May 2004 - 10:21 AM

I was on the fence until i got a view of M13 with mine thru a 19mm axiom and Jupiter after a good star test collimation. Collimation is a PITA, but its worth it for the views. I love both my scopes. It would be hard to choose between the two if i had too.

#3 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 15 May 2004 - 11:52 AM

I can get killer mags without having to invest LARGE sums of money in ultrashort f/l eps,

Hi, Pete.

At the other extreme, I can get away with simple, less-expensive longer FL eyepieces for widefield use. Such EP's tend to perform poorly in fast scopes, but at F/10 nearly anything does well. :jump:

#4 conus

conus

Gemini

Posted 15 May 2004 - 12:56 PM

I ran the math, and my Nexstar 8, allowing for CO has the area of a 6.75" refractor. Now, how much would a 6.75 inch APO cost? $10,000.00? $15,000?

Yeah, the cost has to be the biggest plus. After six months of research I chose a 9.25 sct for my first scope. The only 9" APO I've seen offered is TMB's for $30,000. With $30,000 you could buy land, build an observatory to house a 14" sct and still have enough left over for a big dob.

#5 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 15 May 2004 - 02:04 PM

Oh so true...I am on a tight budget as i'm a college student, but i managed to weasel my way into an 11" Celestron, and depite the fact that i've only had one chance to use it (poor weather :flame:) I was still amazed by the views. My only scope for the last 8 years or so was my 4.5" newt, so i'm stepping up quite a bit. On top of that though, i was able to see much fainter objects with the 11" and the funny part was...i had dew forming on my corrector lens and didn't even know it! Next outing is going to include a dew shield and a hair dryer lol!

Clear Skies!

#6 werewolf6977

werewolf6977

Lord High Smasher

• topic starter

Posted 15 May 2004 - 05:29 PM

Red, that there dewshield is a **** necessity! Pete

#7 matt

matt

Vendor (Scopemania)

Posted 17 May 2004 - 12:33 PM

C'm'on, you guys were driven into this by Norvin's post on the romance of reflectors. At first I resisted answering but it has gone too far! As the owner of one dob and one SCT right now (not to mention the previous romantically-attached ones), I can tell you there is no romance in a reflector, and even less in an SCT. Especially if you define "romantic" as "bang for your buck".

Some classics (meade Research 8" f/6, Questar 3 1/2, old Vixen 4" f/10 newtonians) can qualify as romantic, but only because they are somehow outdated (I can hear the fans of those scopes popping arteries - I mean that in 2004 they seem a litle anachronistic on the marketplace). The Orange C8 might qualify as romantic if it did not have that stubby fork mount (which I consider the best type of mount for amateur use, another disclaimer to fork mount fans).

Other "almost romantic" scopes
- classic French newtonians with 27mm eyepiece holders
- bausch&lomb 4" sct - at least for the look of it!
- that big C14 on the fork mount with 20"-long fork arms
- Criterion RV6

#8 werewolf6977

werewolf6977

Lord High Smasher

• topic starter

Posted 17 May 2004 - 04:25 PM

Matt: Did someone spray your vineyard with Paraquat? We were just havin' fun! Clear Dark Skies!! Pete

#9 Don W

Don W

demi-god

• Administrators

Posted 17 May 2004 - 04:47 PM

Hey, there's a guy that frequents the Telescopes and SCT-User Yahoo groups that managed to get hold of a late 60's Celestron 10" SCT. That's a gorgeous older scope.

To me, I can find "romance" in just about any type of scope, if it's well made and gives me pleasure when using it. Yeah, I think these "Romance" threads have gotten a bit out of hand, but it's all in fun.

#10 matt

matt

Vendor (Scopemania)

Posted 18 May 2004 - 01:18 AM

Matt: Did someone spray your vineyard with Paraquat? We were just havin' fun! Clear Dark Skies!! Pete

Hey, I'm having fun too!

#11 Norvin

Norvin

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 22 May 2004 - 04:38 PM

C'm'on, you guys were driven into this by Norvin's post on the romance of reflectors. At first I resisted answering but it has gone too far! As the owner of one dob and one SCT right now (not to mention the previous romantically-attached ones), I can tell you there is no romance in a reflector, and even less in an SCT. Especially if you define "romantic" as "bang for your buck".

Sorry to hear you don't see the 'romance' of reflectors or cats. Some people (with more money than brains) just like telescopes that are like 8 feet long and cost too much and perform like c-r-a-p.

Norvin
Post #521

#12 Don W

Don W

demi-god

• Administrators

Posted 22 May 2004 - 05:06 PM

I'm in love with them all. Although I'm reflector challenged at the moment. Each type has its strengths and weaknesses and I enjoy each within their limitations. I don't try to view 15th magnitude galaxies with my 70mm semi-apo refractor, but it gives lovely views of bright clusters and double stars. By and large, I'm an SCT user and the NX11GPS is my preferred instrument of choice, but it doesn't prevent me from using and enjoying the others in my stable.

#13 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 22 May 2004 - 05:24 PM

Some people (with more money than brains) just like telescopes that are like 8 feet long and cost too much and perform like c-r-a-p.

Norvin
Post #521

Hi, Norvin.

First, let's make an effort to keep discussions in this forum focused on telescopes, rather than people.

Maybe I'm one of the "more money than brains" folks to whom you refer; I do own an 8 foot long telescope. :question:Maybe I'm not, as mine performs extremely well. :question:Either way, I'd rather not have negative personal comments directed at me or at other Forum participants. :rules:

I like SCT's in general and most of my observing is done through one. They are at an intersection of price, portability, aperture, and performance that fits my needs most of the time. On the other hand, there are jobs my APO refractor and reflectors can do better. I still consider my SCT to be a Jack of all trades and master of none. :cool:

#14 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 22 May 2004 - 10:01 PM

I don't think that was aimed at you (or any other CNer) - note he added the phrase "and performs like c-r-a-p"; I interpreted that to mean the dilettantes with the big scopes who have them just because they're BIG. I would guess Dobbest is not a disappointment, or you wouldn't have kept it. In any event, Dobbest is kewl. :yay:

#15 Norvin

Norvin

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 23 May 2004 - 03:20 AM

I don't think that was aimed at you (or any other CNer) - note he added the phrase "and performs like c-r-a-p"; I interpreted that to mean the dilettantes with the big scopes who have them just because they're BIG. I would guess Dobbest is not a disappointment, or you wouldn't have kept it. In any event, Dobbest is kewl. :yay:

That is exactly what I meant. :)

Norvin
Post #522

#16 David Knisely

David Knisely

Hubble

Posted 24 May 2004 - 01:42 AM

Some classics (meade Research 8" f/6, Questar 3 1/2, old Vixen 4" f/10 newtonians) can qualify as romantic, but only because they are somehow outdated (I can hear the fans of those scopes popping arteries - I mean that in 2004 they seem a litle anachronistic on the marketplace). The Orange C8 might qualify as romantic if it did not have that stubby fork mount (which I consider the best type of mount for amateur use, another disclaimer to fork mount fans).

- bausch&lomb 4" sct - at least for the look of it!
- that big C14 on the fork mount with 20"-long fork arms
- Criterion RV6

Well, I thought the original C14 on the fork mount was fairly good, but to get things really working well, we had to replace the drive with a Byers system. The RV-6 was on of my favorites, as in the "vintage" years (ie: before Baush & Lomb let things slide), it was a fine performer for a bargan price. However, the B&L 4 inch SCT was a lousy optical performer, plain and simple. A friend of mine who was desperate to get the thing collimated brought one to me. The best I could do was triangular star images, and I told him that the only way to get better performance was to buy a better telescope. That 4 inch SCT is one instrument which is best left forgotten. Clear skies to you.

#17 matt

matt

Vendor (Scopemania)

Posted 24 May 2004 - 02:51 PM

the C14 is "almost romantic" to me, but it's definetely my dream scope!

#18 Rhadamantys

Rhadamantys

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 24 May 2004 - 02:56 PM

At least, you are sure that you are not going to make a faux pas: you are forced to use mythical eyepieces with this nice mirror figured under the supervision of the Master of all glass pushers, amateurs or professionals... :waytogo:

#19 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 27 May 2004 - 03:56 PM

I'll tell you about a romantic scope, the 80mm refractor I got at Kmart 26 years ago. It's the most romantic piece of garbage I ever owned. After having that its amazing I stayed in astronomy for all these years.

#20 kwkee

kwkee

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 04 June 2004 - 03:26 AM

I'll tell you about a romantic scope, the 80mm refractor I got at Kmart 26 years ago. It's the most romantic piece of garbage I ever owned. After having that its amazing I stayed in astronomy for all these years.

haha..i think a lot of us started our "romance" the same way like you too.

#21 Victor Kennedy

Victor Kennedy

Pooh-Bear

Posted 04 June 2004 - 08:54 AM

Maybe we appreciate things more we got the hard way.

What do you mean by "romantic"? Pining away for the unattainable? I don't think there's much that is romantic about hardware.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics