•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Can you pour the mount part last?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sheepofblue

sheepofblue

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 August 2021 - 10:02 PM

So I am in process of building a new home.  The start is a getting my drive and a metal building setup.  Among other things I need to pour a apron for the building and a pad out front (likely on the side also)   So while the cement guys are there I though of pouring a pad with squares cut out for a pier or piers.  I can decide whether I want a ROR or something like a NexDome but otherwise I am not that far on planning.

So is it crazy or to pour with squares.  Or even just pour a pad and mount a pier to the concrete later.  Still trying to figure the observatory thing out and with COVID it is hard to get insight from the local club.

Thanks looking forward to the new place for a lot of reasons but it should drop me to a Bottle 4 area with no street lights anywhere near.

#2 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• Loc: near Elkins and Pettigrew, Arkansas

Posted 15 August 2021 - 10:09 PM

You can successfully bolt a pier to a pad if the pad is massive and deep enough.  We have a pier carrying a C14, bolted to our 16x16 foot roll off's concrete floor.  It averages about nine inches thick.  No vibration noted at high power even when someone walks around near the pier.

• archer1960, petert913 and Stevegeo like this

#3 archer1960

archer1960

Viking 1

• Loc: Southern New England

Posted 16 August 2021 - 07:22 AM

If you left squares, I'd be a little worried about possibly undermining the edges of the pad when you got around to auguring out the hole for your pier, unless you left pretty big squares that you filled in with more concrete at the time you were pouring the pier.

#4 Phil Sherman

Phil Sherman

Soyuz

• Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Posted 16 August 2021 - 12:49 PM

When my observatory was built, the floor was poured with square cutouts for piers. The pier holes were dug out by hand because there's no frost line in Southern New Mexico and a 2' deep hole was adequate. The hole was vacuumed out so only undisturbed soil remained to support the underground part of the pier. The same foam that's used between a wood baseplate and concrete was used to separate the pier from the floor.

• archer1960, OldManSky and sheepofblue like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics