•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Parking position for scope in observatory

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• topic starter
  • Loc: near Elkins and Pettigrew, Arkansas

Posted 17 August 2021 - 11:13 AM

For those who keep scopes mounted in observatories long term:  Do you park the ota horizontally,  vertically, or pointed at the pole, with the cwt at the bottom?   Mine  is parked pointed towards the pole in the ExploraDome, as the dust cover fits better that way, and there's plenty of head space.  Just curious.

#2 OldManSky

OldManSky

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 17 August 2021 - 11:18 AM

Horizontal.  Counterweight bar parallel to ground, scope pointing north also parallel to ground.

I can't close my ROR unless it's in that position.  Not enough clearance in my tiny observatory.  If I could I'd do "zero position" towards pole like yours... :)

#3 njrusty

njrusty

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 17 August 2021 - 11:23 AM

Depends on height of roof above the scope.  Fortunately I can park mine vertically (pointing at Polaris) and still close the roof.  I also have my scope on a Pier-Tech 3 (original) and can raise/lower pier electronically.  

Attached Thumbnails

• 213191828_10221376186134428_542920031205948586_n.jpg

• OldManSky likes this

#4 HansD

HansD

Explorer 1

Posted 17 August 2021 - 11:37 AM

I park my 11 SCT counterweights down and tube horizontal pointing east to clear my ROR. I used to park my refractor counterweights down and tube pointing north, but I noticed that the adhesive holding the felt onto the mounting rings started to creep, so I keep that one horizontal and pointing east as well. It gets pretty hot here during the day and I’m sure that’s what let the adhesive creep.

Hans

• OldManSky likes this

#5 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• topic starter

Posted 17 August 2021 - 11:50 AM

Wow. I never experienced adhesive creep on rings on a 150mm refractor I parked that way for almost 10 years.  I'll need to check my present refractor, now in its third summer, in the cwt down, pole pointing position. It gets hot here, too.

#6 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 17 August 2021 - 11:53 AM

I park mine pointing slightly down to avoid dust getting on the mirror/objective. I've been doing that for severall years now without issues. Since the scopes are well balanced, and the mounts are robust, there's really not much load on the bearings. 

FWIW, the more important thing is to make sure that you cannot accidentally close the roof and hit the scope. I use low piers which is the best solution, others will use switches to prevent the roof closing until the OTA is parked. 

Rgrds-Ross

• lee14 likes this

#7 kpem

kpem

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 17 August 2021 - 12:34 PM

My C-14 and my 12.5 D-K Cass. are both parked dec axis level and tubes level and  pointing north to clear my ROR roof structure on opening. Another reason: if the roof leaks, the gravity vector is straight down, and water will tend to drip off a level tube and not run down the tube, looking for an opening. An acquaintance with a C-11 in a dome preferred to park the tube pointing vertically. After a heavy rain one night, he found his tube assy. had collected a lot of water internally. The dome had leaked, and the rain had run down the tube and wicked through the cell-to-tube seam. Fortunately, he was religious about keeping the corrector cap on while the scope was not in use, so a real disaster was avoided. He did, however, blame the onset of his hair going gray on that event.

#8 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• topic starter

Posted 17 August 2021 - 12:45 PM

I keep a water resistant dust cover on my scope in the dome, in addition to the regular lens caps.

#9 Christopher Erickson

Christopher Erickson

Skylab

• Loc: Waikoloa Village, Hawaii

Posted 17 August 2021 - 02:20 PM

I would suggest always do OTA horizontal whenever possible. Risks from settling dust, dripping water, sliding adhesives, running lubricants...

#10 kathyastro

kathyastro

Soyuz

• Loc: Nova Scotia

Posted 17 August 2021 - 02:38 PM

I probably should park it horizontally to avoid dust settling.  Of the standard park positions available on my mount (CEM-60), the two horizontal positions put either the scope or the counterweight at *exactly* head-bonking height above my 4'-high door!  So, for safety, I park it pointing at the pole.

One of these days, I'll figure out how to select a custom parking position from a script.  Then, I'll try to find a horizontal position that doesn't put my noggin at risk.

• dmdouglass and OldManSky like this

#11 VinceV

VinceV

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Eastern PA

Posted 17 August 2021 - 02:42 PM

CPC110 SCT is locked horizontally facing Northeast. This direction allows easy access (opening and closing) to the lower shutter of an 8' ExploraDome. I also use an older bedsheet as a dust cover.

#12 R Botero

R Botero

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, England

Posted 18 August 2021 - 03:02 AM

I have two piers in my small RoR. The northernmost one holds two refractors for imaging. Both parked horizontally pointing East with counterweight bar pointing North. The southernmost pier has two scopes for visual use, both are parked pointing to the zenith with the counterweight bar pointing East. 
picture from the observatory monitor webcam just now below.

Roberto

Attached Thumbnails

• 01CD5D76-53E8-4E0A-A65E-E0D87F5023DD.png

#13 Stevegeo

Stevegeo

Apollo

• Loc: Otisco lake. Marietta NY 13110

Posted 18 August 2021 - 06:07 AM

I park my Meade  12 horizontal,   eyepiece  on north side , as most viewing is south  anyhow . Dome shutters the same , south. 

This works nice as with limited space , the door faces east  ( swing in) allowing plenty of room to move around .

Stevegeo 

#14 Phil Sherman

Phil Sherman

Soyuz

• Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Posted 18 August 2021 - 01:59 PM

I use two remote observatories, built at different times. The first has two scopes in it that must be parked horizontally to open and close the roof. Mine is close enough that the rubber flap seal on the far end of the roof wipes the dust off of the top of my scope when the roof opens. (The pier attachment would allow lowering the scope a little over an inch.) Both use optical sensors that prevent roof movement if the scopes are not parked properly. There's also an override to  move the roof if the optical sensors fail. Backup for the sensors is a webcam that can be used to determine that the scopes are parked. Building operations are controlled by a Raspberry Pi running a custom built Java client-server program. This program automatically distributes all building functionality changes made by one user to all active clients.

The second building has one scope in it that is low enough to clear the roof when parked in the normal EQ mount's home position. That scope is still parked horizontally to help prevent dust collection on its objective.

#15 *skyguy*

*skyguy*

Skylab

• Loc: Western New York

Posted 18 August 2021 - 02:12 PM

I would suggest always do OTA horizontal whenever possible. Risks from settling dust, dripping water, sliding adhesives, running lubricants...

I have always parked my 12" LX200 scope in the vertical position (zenith) in my observatory over the past 20 years. No problems at all. However, this is just one data point.

#16 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• topic starter

Posted 18 August 2021 - 02:16 PM

When mine is parked in the pole pointing position with the cwts at the bottom, the angle is only 36 degrees, so nearer horizontal than vertical.

#17 my-spot

my-spot

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: South East Michigan

Posted 18 August 2021 - 04:23 PM

I have a dome so the scope really doesn't need to be in any particular orientation. However, The dome's park position matches the shutter charging azimuth. So, I have scope's park position set to match the dome's park position as if the two were synced. That way the dome does not slew off the charge contacts if synced to the scope while the automation is waiting to slew to the first target of the night. Why? Well, when setting everything up back in the day, it was easier to set the park position of the scope than it was to change the location of the charge contacts.

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot 2021-08-18 172021.jpg

#18 MJB87

MJB87

Gemini

• Moderators
  • Loc: Talbot County, MD & Washington, DC

Posted 18 August 2021 - 04:39 PM

Dome is in Park 3 (aimed at NCP).

ROR is in Park 4 because otherwise the roof won't clear it when it opens.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics