•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Another Plea for Suggestions

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Dynan

Dynan

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: NOLA

Posted 18 August 2021 - 07:06 AM

First post in this thread, so please be forbearing.

What I need is suggestions for the best scope to fit the following criteria:

My grandson is turning eight years old in one month...I might say a brilliant eight years old despite being related to me in any way.

A stereo microscope that he can use to see microscopic life/detail but also view the details of his rock collection.

Not afraid of very high power. I see things advertised from 40x to 2500x.

Need a recordable video output, yet be able to use it without it.

Price range up to ≈$400.

Something that would be useful in future educational levels, possibly up to college level.

He will take great care of anything he gets as has been observed by his treatment of his aquarium, toys, etc. His mom is a Doctorate in Entomology and Papa is a Math/Physics teacher with degree in Electrical Engineering, so he has a good home base.

Your experience is priceless, as I've learned from the 'macroscope' side of this website. I don't want to make the same mistakes that I made in my evolution of AP. Start right. Start smart.

Please, Have At Me!

Edited by Dynan, 18 August 2021 - 07:07 AM.

#2 gatorengineer

gatorengineer

Gemini

• Loc: Hellertown, PA

Posted 18 August 2021 - 01:33 PM

Well first thing I would suggest is something that would give him easy successes.  That to me would be a Bausch and Lomb Stereo Zoom used, this is typically in the 10-40x range with a good ring light....... Used they can be had for under $50, plus another 50 for the light.  Alot of neat things to see in this range.

Second suggestion would be a USB microscope millions on amazon, I wouldnt do this as it takes away the at the EP experience, its like watching TV

Lastly I would get him something with some magnification.  Used off of Ebay, so some reasearch you can get a quality professional microscope from the 80s for under $200 shipped.

I would avoid new chinese stuff its frustrating, and doesnt have the feel.  If you do decide to buy new I would use AMSCOPE and talk to them on the phone good folks and they would steer you right.

(this is from someone with Zeiss, Leica, Meiji and Olympus scopes........  Not an expert but not speaking from at least some experience.

• Dynan and vertex2100 like this

#3 Chilihead

Chilihead

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Central Oklahoma

Posted 19 August 2021 - 08:06 AM

I have the AmScope T490B and it's pretty awesome. It has a camera port and is quite easy to use. It's $339 on Amazon right now so within your budget. Even leaves enough to buy a set of prepared slides. 

• Dynan likes this

#4 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

• Loc: Land of clouds and LP

Posted 19 August 2021 - 11:11 AM

How about something like this?

https://amscope.com/...ts/se305r-az-e1

I have an AM Scope without the camera and it works great. I mostly use it for meteorites and coins so I don't need much power (no more than 40) but the above one goes to 60X.

The below one goes to 80X

https://amscope.com/...&pr_seq=uniform

With the savings you can get him some slides:

https://amscope.com/...croscope-slides

Good luck and let us know what you get.

• Dynan likes this

#5 vertex2100

vertex2100

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Magic kingdom

Posted 17 October 2021 - 02:52 PM

Check listings from this eBay seller. A very reputable plant pathologist that sells excellent microscopes. I bought several, including this one and binocular ones,  for under 100$ from him that were in  like new condition. I bought many  vintage microscopes for myself, son, daughter, her boyfriend and children of several of my assistants. You can get excellent quality and performance for a very low price and spend the rest on accessories. image.jpeg

#6 vertex2100

vertex2100

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 17 October 2021 - 03:02 PM

Here is another amazingly cheap deal on an excellent scope I bought. These were very expensive in the day. I could only dream about having one as a kid but had to settle on a toy scope then. AO like these are modular and have plenty of parts available for them including dual head teaching attachments so he can look with you or a parent. image.jpg

This one cost a total of 33$ including shipping and was complete with an easy to use gliding stage. image.jpeg

Edited by vertex2100, 17 October 2021 - 03:15 PM.

#7 vertex2100

vertex2100

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 17 October 2021 - 03:04 PM

I've been giving away telescopes and microscopes to every deserving kid I know in my and my employees families. The only thing this second binocular AO scope needed was one objective which are cheap and in abundance for sale. 

This one has the teaching head I mentioned and came with 5 dark phase objectives. It cost a whole 192$ and was around 2000$ new when money was worth about ten times as much as now.

image.jpeg

Edited by vertex2100, 17 October 2021 - 03:29 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics