•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sh2-155 Cave nebula

Astrophotography CCD DSO Observatory Refractor Imaging
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 syxbach

syxbach

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: West Texas

Posted 19 August 2021 - 01:25 AM

Third project from our observatory. I never thought the progress was that fast. We finished it before the new moon. This time, I tried bin 2 mode in RGB subs. This boosted the signal-to-noise ratio significantly, resulting in a noiseless, clean and sharp RGB data. The disadvantage is the star size was larger than what I obtained in bin 1 L subs. Therefore, I need to go for a star shrink process before LRGB combination. For this image, I did not do any noise reduction and sharpening in the linear format. 

Imaging details

Mount: Astro-Physics 1100GTO
Telescope: Takahashi TOA-130NS
Camera: QHY16200A

Focuser: 3.5 inch Feather touch focuser with HSM35 motor
Guide camera: Lodestar X2
Filter: Chorma LRGB, Astrodon 5 nm Ha and O3
Exposure time:
L: 36*15 min, bin1
R: 25*7.5 min, bin2
G: 27*7.5 min, bin2
B: 27*7.5 min, bin2

Ha: 19*30 min, bin1

Post-processing: Pixinsight 1.8.6+Photoshop
C&C are welcomes

Yuexiao

High-resolution image link

https://www.flickr.c...eposted-public/

51389043909_d6c7ffd35d_h.jpg

Edited by syxbach, 19 August 2021 - 08:40 AM.

• Gregory, noodle, psandelle and 20 others like this

#2 Avgvstvs

Avgvstvs

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 19 August 2021 - 03:34 AM

Very nice, makes me miss my TOA130 mad.gif

Lovely colours

• retroman2 and syxbach like this

#3 syxbach

syxbach

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 19 August 2021 - 08:43 AM

Thank you!

Compared to TOA130, looks like people prefer lighter scopes?grin.gif  

Very nice, makes me miss my TOA130 mad.gif

Lovely colours

#4 Ron (Lubbock)

Ron (Lubbock)

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Pittstown, NY

Posted 19 August 2021 - 11:19 AM

Beautiful rendition of this complicated object.  I spent 15 hours on it last year, and it is challenging to merge the H-alpha emission and the the reflection nebula accurately.  Your dark site has given wonderful colors, whereas I had to fight with a lot of green noise and gradients from my Bortle 4-5 backyard. 

Keep the images coming; these results are really inspiring as those of us in the northeast ride out another week of endless rain and high humidity. 

#5 syxbach

syxbach

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 19 August 2021 - 03:08 PM

Thank you Ron. I am still collecting that 100-h datagrin.gif

Actually I did not use my HA data when I processed L. I only added it into red channel. I still need to learn how to fix the blowout around the bright stars.

Yuexiao

Beautiful rendition of this complicated object.  I spent 15 hours on it last year, and it is challenging to merge the H-alpha emission and the the reflection nebula accurately.  Your dark site has given wonderful colors, whereas I had to fight with a lot of green noise and gradients from my Bortle 4-5 backyard. 

Keep the images coming; these results are really inspiring as those of us in the northeast ride out another week of endless rain and high humidity. 

#6 mark in ventura

mark in ventura

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 19 August 2021 - 05:17 PM

Wonderful image ! I hope to have some clear skies soon without a moon to try it myself although you have set the bar quite high with your result.

#7 syxbach

syxbach

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 19 August 2021 - 08:42 PM

Thank you. As long as you have enough exposure, you will find the post-processing is quite easygrin.gif

Yuexiao

Wonderful image ! I hope to have some clear skies soon without a moon to try it myself although you have set the bar quite high with your result.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, CCD, DSO, Observatory, Refractor, Imaging

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics