•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Skyshed Pod pad creation

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 andynowlen

andynowlen

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 August 2021 - 12:56 PM

I have my new to me Skyshed Pod XL5 in hand.  

My near-term installation will be influenced by two items.  Budget and the fact that it cannot be permanently installed. 

So I plan to create a level crushed rock pad framed by 4x4s and will run a conduit underneath for electricity.  I imagine using deck support concrete blocks set into the crushed rock for the tripod.  I think I will put 12x12 concrete pavers over the crushed rock and some old carpet over the pavers all shaped around the tripod blocks.  But maybe there is a better way you might know of.

What advice do you have? I would like to avoid unnecessary mistakes and errors if possible.  Maybe there is a link to such an installation or another person's experience.  I wish budget wasn't so influential but it is what it is.

Thanks for any help.  

#2 ButterSmooth

ButterSmooth

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Central Oregon

Posted 22 August 2021 - 02:32 PM

I just finished grading my gravel pad and plan to compact it tomorrow.  I've also been looking at the SkyShed Pod as well as the NexDome.  So, it sounds like we are at about the same point.  I'm thrashing about trying to decide if I should pier or not.  My neighbor has a ROR observatory and after 6 months of experience with that, I find it better to be out in the driveway in my 'observatory'.  I'll be watching this thread with interest.

#3 mmalik

mmalik

DSLR camera modifications

• Vendors
  • Loc: USA

Posted 23 August 2021 - 07:31 AM

Budget and the fact that it cannot be permanently installed.

Some decking ideas for the POD here.... I started where you are in terms of semi-permanence, but had to do piers after lot of contemplating. Regards

Note: Piers can be terminated at the ground level (+ bolted on metal) for semi-permanence goals

Edited by mmalik, 23 August 2021 - 07:37 AM.

#4 wjbanjo

wjbanjo

Explorer 1

Posted 23 August 2021 - 04:45 PM

I set my pod up on rail road ties with a cap of MDO ply to create the circle .I do have a pier but the concrete is below grade level. Elevating the sides raises the horizon 9 or 10 inches but it also raises the height of the door transom so I don't have to bend so low.I do have to step through a taller entry. Bill

#5 andynowlen

andynowlen

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 August 2021 - 04:54 PM

Thanks for that idea. I like the idea of the door frame being higher !  I think I will try the below grade concrete. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics