•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How to decloak DeLites?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 TayM57

TayM57

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Vulcan, United Federation of Planets

Posted 23 August 2021 - 11:27 AM

What is the specific process to decloak the Delites? Untighten the pupil guide and keep untightening until the guide comes off?

#2 CrazyPanda

CrazyPanda

Soyuz

Posted 23 August 2021 - 11:49 AM

The pupil guide is two pieces screwed together (one is the guide, the other is lock ring). Unscrew the two pieces and they will just slip right off.

#3 Starman1

Starman1

Stargeezer

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 23 August 2021 - 12:03 PM

The eyeguard is two pieces threaded together over a collet.

Unscrew the two outer pieces and remove the collet ring and you will have de-cloaked the eyepiece.

Careful!  After doing so, there will be no protection for either your glasses or the eye lens in the eyepiece.

https://www.cloudyni...lite-decloaked/

#4 TayM57

TayM57

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 August 2021 - 12:10 PM

Got it. Easy peasy. A pretty simple process. Wish I did this for the 22NT4 before giving up on it. A re-purchase is in my future after I round out my Delite collection.

I use the Morpheus with the eye guards removed so I'm fairly familiar with the floating style of observing. Scratching my glasses isn't really a concern, but the eye lens of the EP, yeah I do protect that by not getting too close.

• Rick-T137 likes this

#5 MarMax

MarMax

Vanguard

• Loc: SoCal

Posted 23 August 2021 - 12:32 PM

I just use some rubber angled eyeguards from Amazon and they work fine on the de-cloaked DeLite's.

This is a pair of 18.2mm and I don't wear glasses and like the full contact viewing vs. floating.

gallery_332504_16119_26515.jpg

Edited by MarMax, 23 August 2021 - 12:33 PM.

• ewave, Rick-T137, fate187 and 1 other like this

#6 R.Kelley

R.Kelley

Gemini

• Loc: The Emerald Coast

Posted 23 August 2021 - 12:40 PM

For storing decloaked DeLite's, I used the end caps that came with my Takahashi LE's. They're 38mm in diameter, perfect fit.

Agena Astro has some vinyl end caps that are 38mm. I ordered a few recently as I think they will be easier on the felt lining just below the eye lens [less friction when removing].

deli18.2 cap.jpg

deli18.2.jpg

Edited by rkelley8493, 23 August 2021 - 12:41 PM.

• Rick-T137, MarMax and Voyager 3 like this

#7 Highburymark

Highburymark

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 23 August 2021 - 01:21 PM

I just use some rubber angled eyeguards from Amazon and they work fine on the de-cloaked DeLite's.
This is a pair of 18.2mm and I don't wear glasses and like the full contact viewing vs. floating.

gallery_332504_16119_26515.jpg

I’ve just bought a pair of very similar eyeguards myself for use with Zeiss microscope eyepieces, particularly for solar binoviewing, and they are without doubt the best eyeguards I’ve ever used - superb for blocking out light, though not designed for those who wear glasses. Good to know they fit decloaked Delites too.
  • R.Kelley likes this

#8 Miranda2525

Miranda2525

Soyuz

Posted 24 August 2021 - 12:02 AM

Got it. Easy peasy. A pretty simple process. Wish I did this for the 22NT4 before giving up on it. A re-purchase is in my future after I round out my Delite collection.

I use the Morpheus with the eye guards removed so I'm fairly familiar with the floating style of observing. Scratching my glasses isn't really a concern, but the eye lens of the EP, yeah I do protect that by not getting too close.

You don't need to do it to the 22mm Nagler T4. I also wanted mine to STAY in the down position, so I tightened up the ring inside the top part of the EP, (which comes right off), and then I cut a piece of long tape, (6mm wide I believe), and I wrapped it around the OUTSIDE of the eyepiece after I removed the top cover. I kept on wrapping until the top cover fit nice and snug.

Now it stays there and doesn't move at all. I leave the rubber eye cup folded down, but I fold it up when using 2 inch filters.

I would get seriously bad reflections in the 22mm T4 when I screwed my 2 " Lumicon OIII to the bottom of the eyepiece, which is why I fold the rubber eyecup upwards when using filters.

Don Pensack said a while back that if you screw your 2" filter to the coma corrector instead of your eyepiece, that reflections will go away. He was right!  I always use the filter screwed to the bottom of my GSO coma corrector and it's way better that way.

Edited by Miranda2525, 24 August 2021 - 12:03 AM.

• 25585 likes this

#9 TayM57

TayM57

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 August 2021 - 07:25 PM

You don't need to do it to the 22mm Nagler T4. I also wanted mine to STAY in the down position, so I tightened up the ring inside the top part of the EP, (which comes right off), and then I cut a piece of long tape, (6mm wide I believe), and I wrapped it around the OUTSIDE of the eyepiece after I removed the top cover. I kept on wrapping until the top cover fit nice and snug.

It wasn't the position of the instajust that bothered me. It was the fact that in the down position, the ER still wasn't enough for me to see the entire FOV. Now that I've used the A11 extensively, I'll give the N22T4 another try. Although to be fair, when I had the N22T4, I had different glasses and a different PX. My current glasses and PX are much better now.

I tried the Delites decloaked last night. While they are more comfortable to use decloaked, I did notice that the perceived contrast decreased. I'm not entirely sure I will use the Delites de-cloaked. I like the contrasty views with the Delites cloaked in their barrels. I need more observing sessions with them de-cloaked to make a determination either way.

I still can't see the K'vort, B'rel, or D12 classes of the Klingon Bird of Preys with the Delites decloaked. I'm very disappointed in that performance aspect of the Delites. I expected better from Al Nagler to be honest.

• Miranda2525 likes this

#10 25585

James Webb Space Telescope

• Loc: In a valley, in the SW UK. 51°N

Posted 25 August 2021 - 12:57 PM

Decloaked a 22T4 has more eye relief I find (every millimeter counts), and loses a bit of weight too.

• russell23 likes this

#11 Miranda2525

Miranda2525

Soyuz

Posted 26 August 2021 - 12:40 AM

It wasn't the position of the instajust that bothered me. It was the fact that in the down position, the ER still wasn't enough for me to see the entire FOV. Now that I've used the A11 extensively, I'll give the N22T4 another try. Although to be fair, when I had the N22T4, I had different glasses and a different PX. My current glasses and PX are much better now.

I tried the Delites decloaked last night. While they are more comfortable to use decloaked, I did notice that the perceived contrast decreased. I'm not entirely sure I will use the Delites de-cloaked. I like the contrasty views with the Delites cloaked in their barrels. I need more observing sessions with them de-cloaked to make a determination either way.

I still can't see the K'vort, B'rel, or D12 classes of the Klingon Bird of Preys with the Delites decloaked. I'm very disappointed in that performance aspect of the Delites. I expected better from Al Nagler to be honest.

Sometimes I use glasses. With the top still on and at the lowest setting I can easily see the entire FOV. I only use glasses when I have to read the controller on my Orion XTi, and sometimes I will leave them on. I only use cheater glasses and when I buy them, I make sure they are flat and not "convex" in shape. When they are convex, eye relief is at a loss.

Edited by Miranda2525, 26 August 2021 - 12:42 AM.

#12 Miranda2525

Miranda2525

Soyuz

Posted 26 August 2021 - 12:44 AM

Decloaked a 22T4 has more eye relief I find (every millimeter counts), and loses a bit of weight too.

Read the above. As for weihght loss, it's not significant, so I leave mine on.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics