•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

NV results under horrible sky conditions

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#26 Joko

Joko

Vendor - OVNI

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: FRANCE, EUROPE

Posted 16 September 2021 - 12:58 PM

Where/how do U attach yr filters on yr 135mm handheld setup and what adapter between yr NVM and the camera lens?  

PVS-14 doesn't have c-mount also you can't remove easily the front lens so you can't change it by any other lens like the 135mm.

For handheld use you will observe at 1x with filter in front of the lens which is the best position.

Edited by Joko, 16 September 2021 - 02:55 PM.

#27 a__l

a__l

Gemini

• -----

Posted 16 September 2021 - 03:49 PM

A used TV plossl is $100 + a TV adapter for the NVM for $50 +shipping.     The baader microstage 2 adapter is only$50 to position the NVM above the EP I already have.    A $100 savings.      Where/how do U attach yr filters on yr 135mm handheld setup and what adapter between yr NVM and the camera lens?   Later:   from Mike lockwood's testing:    So, for afocal viewing, the best place to put a narrowband filter is not in front of the NV unit, it is on the bottom of the eyepiece, the bottom of the Paracorr, or on a filter slide that sits below the Paracorr or eyepiece.  The cone of light from the primary mirror or objective lens covers less angle than the cone entering the nightvision unit.  BUT he says it doesn't matter in a fast scope [as much] and I have an F/4 SN8.    That's from Mike lockwood custom optics website  "adventures in night vision"  I found to be a BIG help esp in how to connect pieces.   

PVS-14 requires an adapter 1.2"x32Tpi (male) on the one hand, on the other, the thread is compatible with your eyepiece (if available).

The cheapest option is to made it yourself. This is what I did.

Example https://www.cloudyni...ens/?p=11268537

The TV 55 plossl has a thread when the cone is removed. Look for threaded eyepieces and made adapters for them.

There is a big NO .... The PVS-14 will require more than one eyepiece for afocal use. You may need different adapters for this. Therefore, if you buy an adapter, you have one way - a TV adapter and TV eyepieces. Again, if you want maximum field, you will need a 2 "eyepiece and a 2" H-alfa filter.

Let it be AliExpress, but again you will come to point 1 of my # 18.

#28 a__l

a__l

Gemini

• -----

Posted 16 September 2021 - 03:59 PM

Also I read several posts explaining that the UWA EPs are not productive and will give edge of field darkening but I don't care about that. (The TV website says U can even use a 31mm 82* Nagler but it "won't give any advantage" over a narrow FOV plossl)   

You have read the wrong information or misinterpreted it. Vignetting will not come from these eyepieces. The PVS-14 will only use the 40th degree angle afocally, cutting off anything larger.
Vignetting will be from the secondary and from paracorr-2 if you have a reflector.

#29 Gustoresto

Gustoresto

Explorer 1

• Loc: Ottsville PA

Posted 17 September 2021 - 08:36 AM

You could get the TeleVue 40mm Plossl and the 1.25 inch filters. And the TNVC adapter. That would be the easiest option I think. Maybe check for a used TeleVue 40mm.

Thx Go;   I'm definitely looking for a TV 40mm to work w the TVNC.   U didn't mention if U have something in particular against using the baader microstage adapter which unlike the TV can be used w different [non TV] EPs.    Also How do U attach yr 135mm lens to the NVM for handheld use??     I couldn't find either that or even what NVM you have (?)      I bought a hi quality Olympus 135 F/1.8 on ebay for $16.    Thx Gus         

#30 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 17 September 2021 - 10:41 AM

Thx Go; I'm definitely looking for a TV 40mm to work w the TVNC. U didn't mention if U have something in particular against using the baader microstage adapter which unlike the TV can be used w different [non TV] EPs. Also How do U attach yr 135mm lens to the NVM for handheld use?? I couldn't find either that or even what NVM you have (?) I bought a hi quality Olympus 135 F/1.8 on ebay for $16. Thx Gus

I use a c mount adapter for my lens. I don't believe you will be able to with a pvs14. Not sure what options you have in that scenario. Maybe a very small refractor?

I have no knowledge of the baader microstage adapter. I just know the tnvc is simple and works. But maybe someone else knows.

I have a mod3 which is c mount capable. So I can do prime focus and afocal with the Envis lens. I understand the PVS14 is basically like my mod3 but a permanent lens attached, so you can't do prime focus. That's OK, just limited to afocal and 1x.

#31 bobo99

bobo99

Explorer 1

• Loc: Ontario

Posted 17 September 2021 - 11:35 AM

I use a c mount adapter for my lens. I don't believe you will be able to with a pvs14. Not sure what options you have in that scenario. Maybe a very small refractor?

I have no knowledge of the baader microstage adapter. I just know the tnvc is simple and works. But maybe someone else knows.

I have a mod3 which is c mount capable. So I can do prime focus and afocal with the Envis lens. I understand the PVS14 is basically like my mod3 but a permanent lens attached, so you can't do prime focus. That's OK, just limited to afocal and 1x.

For PVS14's there is an option for more handheld magnification. There is a 3x and 5x afocal lens that slips over the front. Performance isn't as great with some aberrations around the edge of the field of view, but you still can use it with filters, either 2" at the front, or sandwiching a 1.25" filter between the afocal 3/5x lens and the PVS14 objective.

Something like this:

https://www.nightvis...4bnvddtnvg.aspx

Edited by bobo99, 17 September 2021 - 11:36 AM.

#32 Gustoresto

Gustoresto

Explorer 1

• Loc: Ottsville PA

Posted 17 September 2021 - 12:07 PM

For PVS14's there is an option for more handheld magnification. There is a 3x and 5x afocal lens that slips over the front. Performance isn't as great with some aberrations around the edge of the field of view, but you still can use it with filters, either 2" at the front, or sandwiching a 1.25" filter between the afocal 3/5x lens and the PVS14 objective.

Something like this:

https://www.nightvis...4bnvddtnvg.aspx

VERY helpful thx.    That 3X lens lists for $250+  online.   I just bought one on ebay for $100! but no one told me U can use filters as U suggest!    So it takes care of ALL of that;  adapters, camera lenses and filter Qs all here;  KISS rules.  CN too!    How does a 1.25" filter "sandwich" in F of the NVM?? Just a slip fit?    I'm not above using a narrow tape wrap around a filter if needed.    I'm going to have an xtra 135mm F/1.8  Olympus lens left over now.   No tears only spent $16 on fleabay.   Now to find a cheap 1.25 7nm HA filter and I have the rig.   Thx again Gus        

#33 ButterFly

ButterFly

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 17 September 2021 - 04:10 PM

Don't go down the 1.25" rabbithole with a PVS14.  It is a waste of money.  The front lens does not come off without voiding the warranty.  Attaching a camera lens can be done, if you can attach an eyepiece to the camera lens first (that's what afocal means - no focus).  Unless you know what you are doing, and don't mind spending money on things that may not work, it is a waste of moeny.

Save up for two inch filters.  Wasting money on others things will just delay the inevitable.  A good quality 6nm range H-alpha filter, two inch, is where you should start.  In the meantime, use you 8" SCT for other things, like fasteroids, outer moons of Jupiter and Saturn, and stellar objects like globs and open clusters.

Look out on the classifieds for TV plossls, putting out want ads if nothing comes up soon enough.  Compliment your 8" SCT with a run of the mill used 80mm telescope, and use your eyepiece and filter collection in that for wide field views.

I understand; there is no way I could have afforded any of this if Don Don hadn't cancelled my student loan payments.  Frugality is NOT cheapness.  Wait rather than skimping, or waste a lot of time and money along the way.

#34 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 17 September 2021 - 04:14 PM

I used the 40mm Plossl and it worked fine. I think it can be done, but eventually you will probably go the 2 inch route. Of course you can then resell the 1.25 items.

I used a Raf camera lens adapter for 1x.

If money is super tight it's certainly an option.

#35 a__l

a__l

Gemini

• -----

Posted 17 September 2021 - 07:45 PM

The user spent at least $ 2.5k for a used PVS-14 in order to further save on filter. Hmm ... the meaning of this action?
What is baader microstage adapter?
This (photo)? Alignment problems are possible here. It remains only to find out if the photo is compatible with the standard screw with the PVS-14 thread. But you can try using it. I wouldn't do that.

If the thread is compatible, TV 40 plossl + 1.25" chinese h-alfa will work on this.

Or find a PVS-14 compatible screw. In the photo, the foreground is on the right.

Attached Thumbnails

• baader.jpg

Edited by a__l, 17 September 2021 - 08:09 PM.

#36 bobo99

bobo99

Explorer 1

• Loc: Ontario

Posted 23 September 2021 - 04:30 PM

VERY helpful thx. That 3X lens lists for $250+ online. I just bought one on ebay for $100! but no one told me U can use filters as U suggest! So it takes care of ALL of that; adapters, camera lenses and filter Qs all here; KISS rules. CN too! How does a 1.25" filter "sandwich" in F of the NVM?? Just a slip fit? I'm not above using a narrow tape wrap around a filter if needed. I'm going to have an xtra 135mm F/1.8 Olympus lens left over now. No tears only spent $16 on fleabay. Now to find a cheap 1.25 7nm HA filter and I have the rig. Thx again Gus

The 3x afocal lens slips over the pvs14 objective.

Between the pvs14 objective and the 3x afocal is a gap where your 1.25 inch filter can be sandwiched. It wasn't designed to do this but does work, and won't damage the filter.

As mentioned there will be a lot of vignetting due to how that 3x afocal works but since you are on a budget you can decide whether that's an issue.

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

Edited by bobo99, 23 September 2021 - 04:31 PM.

#37 a__l

a__l

Gemini

• -----

Posted 23 September 2021 - 06:09 PM

For 3x I am using Fujinon-CF75HA-1-75mm f/1.8

https://www.bhphotov...5_mm_f_1_4.html
Works really well smile.gif

But it won't work for PVS-14 ...

Edited by a__l, 23 September 2021 - 06:10 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics