•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Writing an ACOM ObservingConditions driver for Personal Weather Stations (PWSs)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jgmoxness

jgmoxness

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Tucson

Posted 26 August 2021 - 05:25 PM

I had left a comment on another thread ( https://www.cloudyni.../#entry11303301 ), but got no takers so I decided to jump in and do this myself.

This post is just an FYI in case anyone is interested in my efforts:
It's been quite a few years since slinging code using MS Visual Studio, but was able to install VS 2019, the ASCOM dev platform for C# and get my $110 AcuRite PWS data into SGP smile.gif .

My research into this showed that Weather Underground (wunderground.com) now uses "The WeatherChannel"s IBM cloud to host the data set from AcuRite PWSs. The older MS VS (VB & XML based web call methods) changed when Wunderground transitioned to weather.com. So that ASCOM Wunderground driver (WUAPI-ObsCon) doesn't work (EOL), but has some helpful routines in VB.

It turns out the OpenWeatherMap.org ASCOM driver uses C# and JSON based calls, which are similar to what weather.com uses, so I decided to use that as a basis for getting my PWS data into SGP (and my FITS headers). OpenWeatherMap is a nice site for curated weather station data calls (v2.5) with AI to interpolate weather conditions near your GPS location. But it won't read PWS stations with the default ASCOM driver.

But all was not lost for doing PWS links. They also have a newer set of (v3.0) methods that are completely different, but accept PWS data using the same ApiKey for v2.5. Anyway, in playing around with all this I decided to take the best of what was in both of these two ASCOM drivers and add a third option to link to OpenWeatherMap v3.0 PWSs. I will post results as they come in.

Greg

Edited by jgmoxness, 26 August 2021 - 05:30 PM.

• drake and smartc like this

#2 SDTopensied

SDTopensied

Viking 1

• Loc: Atlanta

Posted 26 August 2021 - 07:18 PM

I’d definitely be interested in this.  Do you have your code checked in to GitHub or another source control?

#3 jgmoxness

jgmoxness

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 August 2021 - 09:33 AM

I’d definitely be interested in this.  Do you have your code checked in to GitHub or another source control?

I will check it into github when it's ready. I've got my station working, but need to add some capability and clean up the code, etc.

#4 my-spot

my-spot

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: South East Michigan

Posted 27 August 2021 - 08:44 PM

Nearly ten years ago I wrote custom WX station software and over the years built three DIY custom WX stations. They are still going today. None of my automation software uses ASCOM ObservingConditions, but I did add an ASCOM interface that can close the shutter if bad weather is detected. It also generates a Boltwood file that my automation software does use.

As for the Weather Underground, Are you looking to send data to WU or read data from WU?

#5 jgmoxness

jgmoxness

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 August 2021 - 11:11 PM

As for the Weather Underground, Are you looking to send data to WU or read data from WU?

I bought a station (AcuRite 5 in 1 WiFi) that uploads data natively to WU (which is now hosted by The Weather Channel (weatherchannel.com). So I modified the ASCOM OpenWeatherMap ObsCon driver to read that data and update my SGP observatory control (and FITS headers). It seems to be working well. 

#6 jgmoxness

jgmoxness

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 August 2021 - 11:15 PM

Before posting to gitHub, I thought I would post the installer .exe for anyone who wants to be a beta tester. 

Try it and let me know how it goes...

https://theoryofever...annel Setup.exe

The ReadMe.htm will give you an overview of the setup.

Cheers.

• drake likes this

#7 drake

drake

Messenger

• Loc: Naples, Italy

Posted 30 August 2021 - 03:54 AM

Greg

a very nice and useful ascom ad, my Voyager software are now reading the data coming from my weather station though WU ICICCI6.

an endless thanks Greg

Geremia
  • jgmoxness likes this

#8 jgmoxness

jgmoxness

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 September 2021 - 10:11 AM

Ok, I added a potential capability to link to Davis Instruments WeatherLink Live PWSs (but that remains largely untested due to my lack of that station and their security includes a hashing algorithm with secret key).

So I renamed the driver to be more generic: ASCOM.MyCloudPWS

The ObservingConditions driver in MS Visual Studio 2019 solution and source was uploaded to gitHub here: https://github.com/j...SCOM.MyCloudPWS

Comments / questions / advice on how to proceed appreciated.

Greg

• smartc likes this

#9 smartc

smartc

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 08 October 2021 - 11:36 PM

Awesome.  I've been looking for exactly this solution.  I've got an Acurite hooked up to a pi that sends to Weather Underground. I have local sensors at the scope too but would be great to tap into my wind sensors, etc.

• archer1960 likes this

#10 Capt404

Capt404

Lift Off

• Loc: North Cakalaky

Posted 12 October 2021 - 09:27 AM

Greg,

How is the weather station doing? Run into any issues so far?

#11 archer1960

archer1960

Viking 1

• Loc: Southern New England

Posted 12 October 2021 - 11:08 AM

Awesome.  I've been looking for exactly this solution.  I've got an Acurite hooked up to a pi that sends to Weather Underground. I have local sensors at the scope too but would be great to tap into my wind sensors, etc.

I wrote one as well, for pulling from WU for my home weather station. I'll try to get it posted too. It's not really polished since I just wrote it for myself, but it might be useful.

• smartc likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics