•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First Light With Tak Mewlon 210

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Reef58

Reef58

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 August 2021 - 11:21 PM

I have been looking to get back into observing after an extended break.  My plan was to buy a used TEC Mak, but the owners of those don't seem to want to get rid of them.  I don't blame them.  I saw an ad for a TAK Mewlon 210 in stock and after some research decided to proceed.  UPS dropped it off about 6:30 this evening.  I got it unboxed and set up in the driveway by 7:30.  I was really struck by the appearance.  I wasn't sure if I would like the cosmetic, but in person I really like it.  Not that it impacts the views, but it does add a bit to the experience.

The scope is cooling off with a high velocity fan blowing on it.  About 8:30 it is ready for first light.  Even with the fan I am having some thermal issues, but still the first light on Saturn is encouraging.  I pick off a few Globulars and the Saturn Nebula.  All nice, but now for the real test.  Let's check out Jupiter.  The first views are nice.  I am still having some thermals, but it is getting better.  The one negative with the scope is some mirror flop during focusing.  Not as bad as some fo the SCT's I have owned, but annoying none the less.

I spend the next several hours going back and forth between Jupiter and Saturn.  The eyepieces being used are a 16mm Nagler Type 5 and a Tak 12.5mm Abbe Ortho.  The 16mm is rock solid on both planets.  The last 30 minutes or so of observing I got a taste of what the scope could do.  Intermittent moments of a rock solid image with the 12.5 Ortho.  I am impressed.  Enough so where I think I have a scope I plan on keeping until the end.  Of course I haven't given this a full shakedown, but the views seem to be about as good on Jupiter as the custom 8" Newtonian I owned about 15 years ago.

My observing skills have taken a bit of a hit from not being used, but I was still able to pick out incredible detail on Jupiter.  No GRS tonight, but saw a few knots making their way across the globe.  I am pretty tired so observing details are sparse, but wanted to share.  

More to come

Clear skies,

Richard

• Dennis_Oz, alnitak22, Brollen and 8 others like this

#2 Stellar1

Stellar1

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Juuuust outside Toronto

Posted 28 August 2021 - 12:50 AM

Congratulations! Judging by your initial report I’d say your awesome new scope just gave you an appetizer this night. Can’t wait to hear reports about DSO’s, imagine what M42 Will look like once that thing is well climatized.

• Reef58 and teashea like this

#3 aneeg

aneeg

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Nesodden, Norway

Posted 28 August 2021 - 01:02 AM

Congrats! I will pick up a 210 today and the weather forecast says no clouds for the week end.

Arne

• Reef58 likes this

#4 bobhen

bobhen

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 28 August 2021 - 05:56 AM

If you haven't seen this review, I encourage you to have a look. Everything in the review is "right on the money". HERE is a link.

I own a Mewlon 210 and…

To get the best from your Mewlon (or if the focus shift starts to bother you) consider an after-market focuser. Some get them some do not.

As it is with all folded designs, and depending on where you live, thermals will be an issue. Plan accordingly or come up with an acclimation strategy like the author in the review. 

Like most folded designs, A Mewlon 210 is not a quick-look scope. And at a tad over 8”, the seeing will impact high power viewing more than a smaller scope. The seeing has to be a tick above average for the Mewlon to take advantage of its 8" aperture resolving potential.

Deep sky viewing requires much less fuss and the smooth, high contrast optics will pay dividends, again, compared to scopes with lesser contrast, like SCTs.

On a good night check out the moon. In the Mewlon 210 the knife-like sharpness of crater rims and the micro details and the 3-D immersive views will impress when compared to many other 8” telescopes.

Bob

• Reef58, aneeg and teashea like this

#5 Reef58

Reef58

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 August 2021 - 11:20 AM

If you haven't seen this review, I encourage you to have a look. Everything in the review is "right on the money". HERE is a link.

I own a Mewlon 210 and…

To get the best from your Mewlon (or if the focus shift starts to bother you) consider an after-market focuser. Some get them some do not.

As it is with all folded designs, and depending on where you live, thermals will be an issue. Plan accordingly or come up with an acclimation strategy like the author in the review. 

Like most folded designs, A Mewlon 210 is not a quick-look scope. And at a tad over 8”, the seeing will impact high power viewing more than a smaller scope. The seeing has to be a tick above average for the Mewlon to take advantage of its 8" aperture resolving potential.

Deep sky viewing requires much less fuss and the smooth, high contrast optics will pay dividends, again, compared to scopes with lesser contrast, like SCTs.

On a good night check out the moon. In the Mewlon 210 the knife-like sharpness of crater rims and the micro details and the 3-D immersive views will impress when compared to many other 8” telescopes.

Bob

I will check out the review.  I bought the Mewlon with the thoughts of replacing it when I could find a TEC Mak.  One night and I think I am good.  I would love a TEC and if Yuri starts building new models again I will certainly sign up, but for now I am good.  It really did exceed my expectations.  

• aneeg and teashea like this

#6 Mattimac

Mattimac

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: The Stars at Night - are Big and Bright - Deep in the Heart of Texas

Posted 28 August 2021 - 11:49 AM

“On a good night check out the moon. In the Mewlon 210 the knife-like sharpness of crater rims and the micro details and the 3-D immersive views will impress when compared to many other 8” telescopes.”

So true … I’ve enjoyed the moon at 400x with a 6mm Delos. You can go higher on nights of exceptional seeing - the image dims but does not collapse. I was originally planning to purchase a Starlight Feathertouch focuser, but my 210 sample has minimal image shift. Solid mounting is a prerequisite of course. Enjoy the views!

• Reef58 and payner like this

#7 teashea

teashea

Gemini

• Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA

Posted 28 August 2021 - 07:26 PM

I have been looking to get back into observing after an extended break.  My plan was to buy a used TEC Mak, but the owners of those don't seem to want to get rid of them.  I don't blame them.  I saw an ad for a TAK Mewlon 210 in stock and after some research decided to proceed.  UPS dropped it off about 6:30 this evening.  I got it unboxed and set up in the driveway by 7:30.  I was really struck by the appearance.  I wasn't sure if I would like the cosmetic, but in person I really like it.  Not that it impacts the views, but it does add a bit to the experience.

The scope is cooling off with a high velocity fan blowing on it.  About 8:30 it is ready for first light.  Even with the fan I am having some thermal issues, but still the first light on Saturn is encouraging.  I pick off a few Globulars and the Saturn Nebula.  All nice, but now for the real test.  Let's check out Jupiter.  The first views are nice.  I am still having some thermals, but it is getting better.  The one negative with the scope is some mirror flop during focusing.  Not as bad as some fo the SCT's I have owned, but annoying none the less.

I spend the next several hours going back and forth between Jupiter and Saturn.  The eyepieces being used are a 16mm Nagler Type 5 and a Tak 12.5mm Abbe Ortho.  The 16mm is rock solid on both planets.  The last 30 minutes or so of observing I got a taste of what the scope could do.  Intermittent moments of a rock solid image with the 12.5 Ortho.  I am impressed.  Enough so where I think I have a scope I plan on keeping until the end.  Of course I haven't given this a full shakedown, but the views seem to be about as good on Jupiter as the custom 8" Newtonian I owned about 15 years ago.

My observing skills have taken a bit of a hit from not being used, but I was still able to pick out incredible detail on Jupiter.  No GRS tonight, but saw a few knots making their way across the globe.  I am pretty tired so observing details are sparse, but wanted to share.  

More to come

Clear skies,

Richard

very cool ---- have fun

amazing ----- in stock

#8 Reef58

Reef58

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 August 2021 - 07:13 AM

Last night was very good.  I may have had my best ever single eye view of Jupiter including the GRS.  I sold the Mewlon short.  I was looking for a planetary workhorse eyepiece in the 15-16mm range.  Turns out the Mewlon handles my 12.5mm Tak Ortho without any penalty  I tried the 9mm Nagler type 6.  The image held up pretty well, but contrast did take a bit of a hit.  I am thinking I need something in the 10mm to 11mm range.  Seeing was rock steady for seconds at a time last night though, so I can't alway count on that.

M-27 was the only DSO I checked out last night.  Once again I could ask nothing more from an 8" scope.  Nice black background and subtle hints of color in the nebula. 

Clear skies

Richard

• Nippon, aneeg and teashea like this

#9 ckwastro

ckwastro

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tempe, AZ

Posted 29 August 2021 - 08:26 AM

Glad you are enjoying the 210. I had one for about 12 years, and it was one of the best lunar scopes I’ve ever owned or used. 

• Reef58, SkyRanger and teashea like this

#10 Nippon

Nippon

Aurora

• Loc: Central Florida

Posted 29 August 2021 - 02:00 PM

Last night was very good.  I may have had my best ever single eye view of Jupiter including the GRS.  I sold the Mewlon short.  I was looking for a planetary workhorse eyepiece in the 15-16mm range.  Turns out the Mewlon handles my 12.5mm Tak Ortho without any penalty  I tried the 9mm Nagler type 6.  The image held up pretty well, but contrast did take a bit of a hit.  I am thinking I need something in the 10mm to 11mm range.  Seeing was rock steady for seconds at a time last night though, so I can't alway count on that.

M-27 was the only DSO I checked out last night.  Once again I could ask nothing more from an 8" scope.  Nice black background and subtle hints of color in the nebula. 

Clear skies

Richard

My Mewlon 180 works very well on planets with a 12mm RKE (x180) or 10mm Baader Classic Ortho (x216). On really exceptional nights an 8mm RKE (x270) provides good views but it really has to be above average seeing.

• Reef58, rkelley8493 and teashea like this

#11 helpwanted

helpwanted

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 29 August 2021 - 04:14 PM

amazing ----- in stock

that’s what I was surprised to hear as well !

• teashea likes this

#12 Reef58

Reef58

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 August 2021 - 04:35 PM

amazing ----- in stock

that’s what I was surprised to hear as well !

Fortunate indeed.  

• teashea likes this

#13 Reid W

Reid W

Apollo

• Loc: Shreveport, LA

Posted 29 August 2021 - 05:16 PM

When you're binoviewing, try using a corrector.  

I have a couple of setups, and the best performance comes with a 2" denk powerX diagonal, with the 2" Denk corrector on the telescope side of the diagonal, and a direct connect of binoviewer to diagonal.

TV 32s pair nicely with the powerX switch.

• Reef58 likes this

#14 Reef58

Reef58

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 September 2021 - 07:26 PM

Finally got to a dark site.  Faced a whole host of issues including some does who wanted me gone.  ASAP.  Nothing like a group of snorting does at midnight to get your attention.

Clear skies

Richard

Attached Thumbnails

• Scopewoods-1.jpg

Edited by Reef58, 04 September 2021 - 07:31 PM.

• 3 i Guy, Dennis_Oz, Cpk133 and 2 others like this

#15 teashea

teashea

Gemini

• Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA

Posted 04 September 2021 - 08:05 PM

Clear skies

Richard

most excellent

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics