•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

FIELD TEST: THE NOH CT-20 ALT-AZ MOUNT

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 BillP

BillP

ISS

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Spotsylvania, VA

Posted 01 September 2021 - 05:02 AM

After several weeks of field use of the NoH CT-20 mount for general astronomical observing with both my TSA-102 and APM-152 refractors, I found the operation and use of this mount to be highly intuitive in the field. The axis friction knobs are conveniently located and are tactile-distinctive from the saddle plate knobs that hold the telescope on the mount, so there was never any question in the dark as to which knob-type I was operating. Operation of the mount was also smooth and precise throughout the testing and general field observing sessions. At no time did I ever find that the CT-20 mount was anything but superlatively capable to handle even my large 6-inch f/8 refractor.

Click here to view the article
  • Jaimo!, BFaucett, Steve Cox and 3 others like this

#2 eyeoftexas

eyeoftexas

Apollo

Posted 01 September 2021 - 11:56 AM

Thanks for the very in-depth and informative review.  I apologize if I missed this, but could you tell us your experiences with other Alt-Az mounts, and maybe briefly how they compare?

• warddl likes this

#3 Francobar

Francobar

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Pelham NY

Posted 01 September 2021 - 12:19 PM

Thanks for the accurate review.

Look like a good and very strong mount, a small improvement could be a 2" knobs like the M002C of Stellarvue instead of the 1" installed.

I'll keep it in consideration since I'm looking for a mount with similar specs.

#4 Deadlake

Deadlake

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 02 September 2021 - 03:04 PM

The one missing feature of this mount is the slow mo. How well does following Jupiter or Saturn work with this mount?  

#5 DeanD

DeanD

Viking 1

• Loc: South Australia

Posted 03 September 2021 - 07:17 PM

Thanks for this article Bill! Great report (in your tradition of course), and makes me very tempted to get in touch with Mr NoH!

Keep up the good work. :)

- Dean

• CollinofAlabama likes this

#6 BillP

BillP

ISS

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Spotsylvania, VA

Posted 04 September 2021 - 03:06 PM

Reminder - as stated in the review, please address any questions you might have specifically for me regarding this review to my personal email. Appreciated.

#7 Starman81

Starman81

Soyuz

• Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA

Posted 08 September 2021 - 02:11 PM

Reminder - as stated in the review, please address any questions you might have specifically for me regarding this review to my personal email. Appreciated.

Is this to comply with some CN rule because you are a vendor, Bill? Havin the discussion here where everyone can learn and benefit rather than having it relegated to 1 on 1 email correspondence seems like a better option. But perhaps you are bound by some rules (?)...

#8 rboe

rboe

ISS

• Loc: Phx, AZ

Posted 10 September 2021 - 10:50 PM

If a review is posted on CN then it's only good form to keep the discussion on CN for the benefit of all. Otherwise; post the review elsewhere.

• Doug Culbertson, cbwerner, Starman81 and 1 other like this

#9 Francobar

Francobar

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Pelham NY

Posted 12 September 2021 - 12:14 PM

Hey Folks,

someone has already bought this set up and has an idea of customs + tax + shipping costs in addition to the $ 750 needed for the extension and head.

Thanks

#10 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Posted 12 September 2021 - 08:08 PM

If a review is posted on CN then it's only good form to keep the discussion on CN for the benefit of all.

Agreed.  We’d like to encourage active discussions about all review articles in the open forum so that all of our members have a chance to benefit from the questions and answers, rather than just the member asking the question.

• CollinofAlabama and nicknacknock like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics