•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Plans for a Roll-off roof observatory

Observatory
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ChuckM

ChuckM

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 02 September 2021 - 10:56 AM

I was planning to install a Nexdome observatory in my backyard, but the HOA is restricting the height of the observatory. It cannot be seen from any street. So I plan to construct my own observatory below the height of my fence (74"). This requires me to submit a plan.  To that end, Im looking for information on a couple different solutions. One is to have someone draw me up a plan. The second is for me to create my own plan. Are there any recommendations out there for either some to draw me up a plan, or suggestions on very simple CAD software for me to design my own plan. Thanks.

#2 speedster

speedster

Viking 1

• Loc: Abilene, Texas

Posted 02 September 2021 - 08:03 PM

https://skyshedpod.c...?v=e4b09f3f8402

$60.  Edit the height to whatever you need.

#3 ChuckM

ChuckM

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 02 September 2021 - 08:40 PM

AWESOME! This may fit my needs. Thanks a bunch!

#4 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 02 September 2021 - 08:46 PM

ChuckM, as for making plans for a roll-off: you can likely do that yourself.  With a height restriction of only 74", you'd be building a big box.  The only tricky part is the rolling roof.  You can learn what you need by looking at photos of personal observatories posted here, or by performing an internet search for "personal observatory".  

Which ever way you decide to go, good luck with your project.  You will love having an observatory.

#5 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• Loc: near Elkins and Pettigrew, Arkansas

Posted 02 September 2021 - 08:54 PM

That's a pretty low observatory, but probably suitable for a Dob mounted reflector.  I think I would pour a slab, otherwise, a wooden floor would be way too close to the ground.  A slab only a couple of inches above the ground level will give you six feet of usable height.  Your roof will need to be nearly flat, or you will be crawling around in there.

#6 ChuckM

ChuckM

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 02 September 2021 - 10:12 PM

Thanks for all the posts. I original wanted a Nexdome, but my HOA, (don’t get me started) didn’t approve it. It was 21” over the fence top, which would be “obnoxious to the eye” and “There will be no noise, vibration, odor or other undesirable effect to emanate from a Lot”. I owed a rolled of roof and love the design. Let’s hope they approve it!

#7 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

Posted 02 September 2021 - 11:04 PM

Could you build your fence higher?

• stargzr66207 likes this

#8 ChuckM

ChuckM

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 03 September 2021 - 12:27 AM

That is not an option, but get this, I could build the Nexdome as long as I “install tall arborvitaes” around the parameter of the backyard. Thank for the suggestion.

#9 N1ghtSc0p3

N1ghtSc0p3

Viking 1

• Loc: Texas

Posted 09 September 2021 - 12:20 PM

Sorry to hear about the HOA struggles. I live in an HOA, that I'm not happy with, but...the one good thing is they don't care about a "playhouse"....like those found on swingsets. So my plan is to build a "doghouse" looking ROR, like many that have been posted here, and call it a "playhouse". It also won't be visible from any of the 4 sides of my yard. Good luck with your install ChuckM.

#10 ChuckM

ChuckM

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 12 September 2021 - 09:22 PM

Thanks. I’m waiting for a reply for my application on the plans for a Sky Shed. I have to wait another month for a reply. 

#11 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

Posted 13 September 2021 - 09:00 AM

Thanks. I’m waiting for a reply for my application on the plans for a Sky Shed. I have to wait another month for a reply. 

That seems unreasonable. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Observatory

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics