•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Best rolling solution for C11" EdgeHD on a CGX mount?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Borodog

Borodog

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 September 2021 - 02:49 PM

Title says it all. With any luck a CGX 1100 EdgeHD is about to fall into my lap tomorrow morning. This is more scope than I was going to get for now, but the opportunity is too good to pass up. I will need a rolling solution for the mounted scope and tripod. What would you recommend?

#2 Sky King

Sky King

Viking 1

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 02 September 2021 - 03:02 PM

If you have a garage then you can get a ScopeBuggy type thing and set up and roll it out when you want, assembled. But if you are bringing it from indoors, then this is what I use for the mount. The scope is easy to carry and you may need a hand when you put it on the mount, to make sure it doesn't slip. The hand truck and ratching tie downs work well. A metal piece was bolted to the base of the hand truck to hold the legs and still fit through the door. Good luck! 

hand truck.jpg

• Borodog likes this

#3 Notdarkenough

Notdarkenough

Ranger 4

• Loc: 4700' ft elevation at 41°

Posted 02 September 2021 - 06:23 PM

The main off-the-shelf choices are ScopeBuggy, Wheely Bars and ScopeRollers. The diy solutions here on CN range from spartan to very impressive fabrications. The biggest concern in my mind for adding rollers is the increased threat of tipping the entire unit over. Bigger casters can make it possible to roll over grass, dirt, etc, but transversing grades, even slight, can be a real sphincter test. The best options, in my opinion, include some form of adjustment near each caster to create a level foundation.

• Borodog likes this

#4 Borodog

Borodog

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 September 2021 - 03:16 PM

Thanks. I like all those options, maybe the Wheely Bars the best, although of course they are the highest cost. Will probably go with the ScopeRollers because of cost. Would never, ever use any of these on anything but concrete. Anything else and you are just asking for trouble it seems.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics