•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

8se ota vs c8-A xlt ota

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Airbrush

Airbrush

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 September 2021 - 05:53 PM

One is Orange. The other a dark blue/black. The specs look to be similar.
What difference is there to make one scope cost $200 more than the other? All I can see is that one is orange.
James

#2 Bean614

Bean614

Vanguard

• Loc: Mass.

Posted 02 September 2021 - 06:34 PM

Except for Paint, and the location of the Dovetail Bar, they are 100% Identical.  For the OTA itself, some vendors have different prices. For example,  some get "Complete" Systems (OTA,  Mount, Tripod) from the Factory, and sell the components separately.   You didn't say if the $200 was for just the OTA.

On the complete system, prices vary quite a bit, depending on vendors. 

• ShaulaB and Stopforths like this

#3 Don W

Don W

Founding Member

• Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 02 September 2021 - 08:17 PM

Are they both Hyperstar or Fastar compatible?

#4 Choncho

Choncho

Sputnik

Posted 02 September 2021 - 09:28 PM

Yes, both the current 8 SE and the C8-XLT are HyperStar compatible. Optically they are identical. The same is true of the non-EdgeHD Evolution OTA's. The optics are identical and the tubes. The only difference is the rail position, as Bean pointed out.

Edited by Choncho, 02 September 2021 - 09:44 PM.

#5 MrJones

MrJones

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 02 September 2021 - 09:47 PM

There's also the Evolution gray version. Highpoint are the only people that sell (or did sell) this as an OTA I believe.

https://www.highpoin...-tube-12091-ota

I also think the XLT has a different dovetail. It's the dual CGE (Vixen)/Losmandy one whereas the SE and Evolution have the Vixen style only dovetail.

#6 Bean614

Bean614

Vanguard

• Loc: Mass.

Posted 03 September 2021 - 08:05 AM

There's also the Evolution gray version. Highpoint are the only people that sell (or did sell) this as an OTA I believe.

https://www.highpoin...-tube-12091-ota

I also think the XLT has a different dovetail. It's the dual CGE (Vixen)/Losmandy one whereas the SE and Evolution have the Vixen style only dovetail.

"I also think the XLT has a different dovetail."....????

'XLT' is the Coating, and they all have it!  Has nothing to do with the Dovetail Bar.  The C8-A uses a Vixen Style Dovetail Bar, same as the SE, Evolution.

#7 MrJones

MrJones

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 03 September 2021 - 08:28 AM

People refer to the dark gray OTA as the 'XLT' model because that's what Celestron calls it. The model number is 91024-XLT.

As per many years of posts here people are sure they are all the same OTA with same optics although I've never heard that Celestron has actually confirmed this.

The SE and Evolution models come with the black CG5/Vixen dovetail while the 'XLT' model comes with an orange CGE dovetail.

#8 skyjim

skyjim

Vanguard

• Loc: North Port, Florida

Posted 03 September 2021 - 09:47 AM

The C8 with the CGE dovetail is not compatible with any Vixen mount, it does have a 6X30 finder, a 1.25" Prism diagonal and visual back for 1.25", the ota is 12.5 pounds wet. The other one on Hi Points site is the Nexstar 8SE which is an orange OTA which is also a fastar scope as the XLT model, vixen dovetail rail, cheaper mirror diagonal, cheap start pointer finder and its $200 less. If you already have accessories and have a mount that accepts a vixen dovetail the two ota's will do the same job  but one is a black color OTA and one is orange, orange is easier to see at a dark sight. 

#9 Airbrush

Airbrush

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 September 2021 - 10:26 AM

Will the orientation of the dovetail on the SE model cause trouble on a eq mount?
James

#10 PJBilotta

PJBilotta

Mariner 2

• Loc: Portland, Oregon

Posted 03 September 2021 - 09:25 PM

Will the orientation of the dovetail on the SE model cause trouble on a eq mount?
James

The orientation of the dovetail and mount type really doesn't cause any problem for the OTA itself, as you can connect any OTA with a V or D-style dovetail rail to a V or D saddle. What it may cause is the "Celestron" name to be on the top and bottom of the scope, instead of on the sides, and also reposition the focus knob and finder mounting holes if you have rotated the tube. As long as you don't mind things changing position a bit, any C8 can be mounted on any mount with the proper rail and saddle.

Case in point - I have both an old classic C8 with its rail on the bottom, and a newer C8 XLT with its rail on the side. Both fit on both of my equatorial mounts, my alt-az mount, and my Evolution mount. The only difference is that the focus knob and finder move 90 degrees.

#11 Echolight

Echolight

Gemini

• Loc: Texas

Posted 04 September 2021 - 07:40 AM

Can’t you move the rail?

My old Nexstar C8 appears to have mounting holes on both the bottom and on one side, 90 degrees apart. I believe some others have mounting holes opposite or 180 degrees apart though.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics