•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Will the Celestron EdgeHD 9.25 fit into and EQ6-R Pro mount?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mearnest

mearnest

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 02 September 2021 - 07:49 PM

...and stay put?  I'm a little worried the dovetail on the Celestron won't exactly fit the dovetail in my mount.  Is anyone doing this?

#2 astro rocketeer

astro rocketeer

Viking 1

• Loc: Valencia, CA (Los Angeles)

Posted 02 September 2021 - 08:01 PM

Yes, easily! Can even hold a C11 EdgeHD. Just make sure you have enough counter weight for your 9.25

• OldManSky likes this

#3 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 02 September 2021 - 08:49 PM

...and stay put?  I'm a little worried the dovetail on the Celestron won't exactly fit the dovetail in my mount.  Is anyone doing this?

There are two common dove tail standards, the Vixen ("V") and the Losmandy ("D").  Any mount with a saddle for a V-style dovetail will fit any V-style dove tail.  You don't have to worry.

Celestron also has (or had?) a "CGX dove tail".  I believe this will fit in saddles designed to accept the Losmandy D-style dove tail.

#4 mearnest

mearnest

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 02 September 2021 - 09:32 PM

thanks guys

#5 RAKing

RAKing

Cosmos

• Loc: Northern VA - West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 06 September 2021 - 12:17 PM

In Celestron speak:

"CGE" = Losmandy 3" width

"CG5" = Vixen width

The CGE and CG5 are older Celestron mounts that they don't make any more, but the extruded dovetails are still using this terminology.

Cheers,

Ron

#6 Nippon

Nippon

Aurora

• Loc: Central Florida

Posted 06 September 2021 - 01:44 PM

Yes the CGE dovetail will hold secure in a Losmandy type D saddle but it is not exactly the same as a D dovetail. Celestron upgraded their AVX mount to use both CG5 and CGE dovetails. But while most common universal V type dovetails work with the AVX universal type D type dovetails will not work with the AVX only the Celestron CGE will.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics