•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Concrete pier - so cheap & effective

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mark Radice

Mark Radice

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Salisbury, UK

Posted 03 September 2021 - 12:43 AM

I can’t believe how much metal piers cost! Looking online they are several hundreds of pounds.

While I am sure they are robust, I made my bombproof concrete pier for just over £100 in materials. It easily takes a C11 on an EQ6 without breaking a sweat.

That being said, now it is concreted into the ground, I cannot take mine with me if and when we move house. This is the true benefit of a metal pier. When we do move, I shall simply pour a new one, wherever that may be.

Measurements are 1.2m tall x 0.3x0.3m square with M20 bolts supporting the top plate. It took a day to prep the shed and make the wooden framing (with hindsight, I should have bought a length of scrap air conditioning duct) and a morning to pour the cement.

Thank goodness my friend, Ian, who has an observatory in Bath was able to bring his mixer and lead the show as I have never mixed concrete before. Thanks, Ian.

The first few buckets were wet and, with a rebar cage, ensured a good bond to the concrete floor. It isn’t going anywhere!

The bolts for the top plate were put in the cement while it was cured but I added further bonding with the rawl-plug epoxy (whatever it is called!) as belts and braces.

After a week of curing, it is now loaded up waiting for clear skies. Hurrah!

Full build - including using cup of tea to check the level is here: https://youtu.be/zUSMDIDESlQ
  • elpajare, OldManSky and DSOGabe like this

#2 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 September 2021 - 08:36 AM

I don't know how to weld, so I also am thankful for concrete.  I was also able to easily put conduit in my pier so my cables run under my observatory floor and through my pier.  No cables on the floor.

You guys did a good job minimizing honeycomb (those "holes" in the side of the concrete).  I was going to suggest using mortar to point the holes, but I saw later you'd filled them with resin.

Edited by macdonjh, 03 September 2021 - 08:43 AM.

#3 OldManSky

OldManSky

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 03 September 2021 - 06:37 PM

"...including using cup of tea to check the level..."

So British :)

And nicely done!

My concrete pier was significantly less costly than £100.  $32 in concrete, $6 in rebar, $8 for sonotube.

If I move (doubtful!), I'll pour another.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics