•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Gregory Maksutov-Cassegrain vs Rutten Maksutov-Cassegrain designs

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#26 skyjim

skyjim

Vanguard

• Loc: North Port, Florida

Posted 08 September 2021 - 08:48 AM

Wow that was my worst nightmare and I will apologize for my above statement but I assumed wrong but when I removed my front cell it really looked like an aluminized spot then they glued the secondary baffle onto the front lens surface and it was not glued very cleanly IMO. That sucks that what glued the secondary didn't hold but my concern is more if it is NOT GLUED in exactly the right spot your sample to sample consistency goes out the window.

After having owned one of the pre production samples which was on out of five if I remember right of the Astro Tech AT6 from Astronomics which was an outstanding example of that scope which almost kept up with the Imtes scopes like the MK66 but not quite the Intes Micro M603 I should have NEVER sold that scope and it was what I would call Best Quality from a China based company. Then I wanted the dual focuser which was a clear mistake cause the optics in the Ioptron sample were no were near as good and that got sold then I came across the the Very Hard To Find IM M6511 but as we all know we get that fever for bigger is better and the list goes on.

I would feel more confident since there are no more New Intes/Intes Micro scopes to be had that todays Gregorian scopes today seem to have better consistency from sample to sample, Synta seems to have there tooling down pat and they are in production for soo many samples under different names like Skywatcher, Orion, Meade and who knows what other re brand ones we may not see here in the states. Now a days if Yuri from TEC decided to come out with his scopes again that would be the best Rumak design today, his scopes were not only with the best optics but the mechanicals of his scopes were at the top rated in which the Intes and Intes Micro mechanics were always a bit quirky, there focusing system although had no image shift it was never what most would call smooth but those TEC scopes were a work of art. 

Hey at almost 70 my memory is not as sharp as it should be "Too Many MAK's and not Enough Time" !  

Edited by skyjim, 08 September 2021 - 08:54 AM.

#27 vahe

vahe

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Houston, Texas

Posted 08 September 2021 - 09:13 AM

Now a days if Yuri from TEC decided to come out with his scopes again that would be the best Rumak design today, his scopes were not only with the best optics but the mechanicals of his scopes were at the top rated in which the Intes and Intes Micro mechanics were always a bit quirky, there focusing system although had no image shift it was never what most would call smooth but those TEC scopes were a work of art. 

Someone did ask the question recently and got the following reply from Yuri;

"we will not be back to MAKs, we are overloaded with APOs forever..."

Vahe

#28 figurate

figurate

Apollo

• Loc: Metro North Texas

Posted 08 September 2021 - 08:45 PM

I noticed from the photo that it looks like a bit of adjustment of the triangular base at top was required to adapt the equatorial mounting, designed for Cleveland, to the very different latitude at McDonald (though I do see some provision for adjusting that angle on the blueprint). And it is good to see it wind up in a place more suitable for productive use as well as having the personal connection. If it hasn't been done already, might I suggest an additional plaque on the other side of the base explaining the provenance and details of the instrument? That way it will serve as a memorial to both. Thanks for the update.       

Edited by figurate, 08 September 2021 - 08:49 PM.

#29 jwheel

jwheel

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Fort Davis TX

Posted 09 September 2021 - 09:21 AM

I noticed from the photo that it looks like a bit of adjustment of the triangular base at top was required to adapt the equatorial mounting, designed for Cleveland, to the very different latitude at McDonald (though I do see some provision for adjusting that angle on the blueprint). And it is good to see it wind up in a place more suitable for productive use as well as having the personal connection. If it hasn't been done already, might I suggest an additional plaque on the other side of the base explaining the provenance and details of the instrument? That way it will serve as a memorial to both. Thanks for the update.       

It tracks pretty good, and I like your idea about adding another plaque.

#30 figurate

figurate

Apollo

• Loc: Metro North Texas

Posted 09 September 2021 - 12:45 PM

Probably I was fooled by the perspective in that first photo, made it look slightly tilted.  

#31 photoracer18

photoracer18

Skylab

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 10 September 2021 - 12:15 PM

I hate to blow the bubble on the Bosma made mac's but I have owned both the Astro Tech AT6 and the Ioptron mac six inch, if you remove the front cell the secondary baffle is glued onto the aluminized spot on the front corrector lens, it is not like the Intes or Intes Micro scopes that I have owned a few which were Rumak designs that had a separate secondary that was able to be collimated. I know Basma wants everyone to think that and since Ioptron basically orders the scopes from them with a few tweaks and re writes there add copy nothing gets changed. If you wonder why you see the same aluminumized spot on the front as you have on the Gregorian style macs that is why. The cost of making a separate secondary and then placing it in a adjustable cell would make that scope go way up in price but it doesn't make it a bad scope either cause there are allot of great views from the whole lot of Gregorian scopes being made today.

If by chance they did use a separate secondary it would have to be glued in place so just think about this for a minute cause if its not glued in the exact spot it needed to be in the scopes optics would never achieve an alignment that would be any good, this is why the aluminumized spot is soo much easier to manufacture today plus better consistency between samples.

Jim

I have a LOMO Astele 95 that is a cemented Rumak at F12.6. Also had a similar LOMO 133.5mm which was also a cemented Rumak at F10. LOMO liked that design because it kept permanent collimation unless the cement delaminated from the back of the corrector. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics