•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

My newest member

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 NVDW

NVDW

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 September 2021 - 11:09 AM

It's been a while since I bought a classic and then this little fella popped up.
Picked it up today. It's almost complete! Only the manual (it got lost somewhere in time) and 1 finderscrew seem to be missing.
The elderly gentleman said it belonged to his grandfather who was an astrofreak :)
He probably wrote a date in the box: 17/10/1968.
Focuser says it's a Viking 60mm/910mm circle K. Objective is super clean
Can't wait to assemble it.515e15f0b14d9ac59de1c2f3a7cf8b1a.jpge75e12aef2da03913ebe39a5e7270933.jpg

Verstuurd vanaf mijn M2002J9G met Tapatalk
  • Paul Hyndman, steve t, mdowns and 9 others like this

#2 Kasmos

Kasmos

Skylab

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 04 September 2021 - 02:30 PM

Nice kit.

I've seen that same box somewhere, but I don't think it was branded as a Viking. Might have been a Revue? Note the box is kind of generic (Astronomical Telescope) and doesn't have a brand name. That way they could slap a sticker on them with a brand. That's exactly what was done on my Aerolite /Swift 859. That black what looks like a CK logo might be Kenko.

My guess is it's from the late 70s. I had to laugh in regards to the comment of the ederly gentileman saying it belonged to his grandfather. The approximate date of the scope combined with that comment probably means I'm old enough to have what you would call an ederly son. lol.gif

Found this Revue with the same photo on the box:

https://www.cloudyni...efractor-revue/

Edited by Kasmos, 04 September 2021 - 02:32 PM.

• Bomber Bob likes this

#3 NVDW

NVDW

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 September 2021 - 03:14 PM

Thanks for the link! Going to check it out.
Looking at the date written in the box, I'd say it's late 60's no?
Yeah I was laughing a bit when the gent said it belonged to his grandfather. Maybe he meant his dad :)
Is there a way to find a PDF of the manual?

Edited by NVDW, 04 September 2021 - 03:18 PM.

#4 Kasmos

Kasmos

Skylab

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 05 September 2021 - 04:26 AM

I could be wrong, and some brands or models varied, but I would think it being a more deluxe model it would have wood box if it was from the 60's.

An example of them varying. My '63 Towa Tasco 9TE was in a cardboard box, while the Towa Penncrest (likely about '67-or later) is in wood. My 1976 Mayflower 814 is in a wood box as well, so it's hard to really know without knowing what a particular maker did

#5 LukaszLu

LukaszLu

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Poland

Posted 05 September 2021 - 05:48 AM

This is Kenko TA-910. I have two copies branded as "Revue" and "Apollo" - both have terrible optics, far below any acceptable standards. The advantage of this model is a very good, simple and reliable mount.

More about the optics in this model: https://www.cloudyni...disappointment/ - I wish your copy turned out to be a positive exception :-)

Attached Thumbnails

• 20210905_125426.jpg

Edited by LukaszLu, 05 September 2021 - 05:58 AM.

• Bomber Bob likes this

#6 NVDW

NVDW

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 September 2021 - 06:09 AM

And this one is Viking branded :) When I get back from holiday,this one goes outside for a test.

#7 Senex Bibax

Senex Bibax

Viking 1

• Loc: Ottawa, ON

Posted 05 September 2021 - 06:14 AM

This is Kenko TA-910. I have two copies branded as "Revue" and "Apollo" - both have terrible optics, far below any acceptable standards. The advantage of this model is a very good, simple and reliable mount.

More about the optics in this model: https://www.cloudyni...disappointment/ - I wish your copy turned out to be a positive exception :-)

The box is almost identical to NVDW's, same scope pictured on the lid, just different branding for Germany and slightly different text. They didn't bother translating it into Dutch for NVDW's benefit though smile.gif

Edited by Senex Bibax, 05 September 2021 - 06:16 AM.

#8 NVDW

NVDW

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 September 2021 - 06:18 AM

I also found a picture of the same cover art but with an alt az scope.
14d877a9da758faaa763ef4e956ca9b5.jpg

#9 LukaszLu

LukaszLu

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Poland

Posted 05 September 2021 - 07:56 AM

The standard photo on the box shows the non-existent version painted in black glossy paint. In fact, the details were painted gray, and in earlier versions, sold e.g. in Germany under the Weltblick brand - black, but with a textured paint.

The design of the telescope has also changed somewhat over time. In some models, the finder scope is permanently screwed on, in others, only the holder mount is screwed to the tube, into which the finder holder is inserted, and then locked with a single screw. In this case, it is worth remembering that the screw does not hold the finder as it should, it loosens, and the finder has a tendency to fall out when maneuvering the tube.

The unsuccessful, in my opinion, idea for a clamping ring placed at the end of the eyepiece sleeve is aggravated by the fact that in some versions the metal clamping element was replaced with a plastic one. In this case, the clamp does not work - it is not able to properly press the eyepiece, and at the same time it tends to jam, preventing the clamp from unscrewing and removing the eyepiece or diagonal comfortably. In such a situation, you have to be very careful that the eyepiece or diagonal does not fall out during the observation!

Edited by LukaszLu, 05 September 2021 - 07:58 AM.

#10 NVDW

NVDW

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 September 2021 - 08:00 AM

I agree, I have this clamping on another scope and IMHO this is not a convenient solution.

#11 RalphMeisterTigerMan

RalphMeisterTigerMan

Surveyor 1

Posted 08 September 2021 - 08:51 AM

Did anyone actually use that Solar Projection screen and how did it work? Did the manual warn that when used in this configuration that only eyepieces "without" cemented elements should be used otherwise the heat would cause the cement to "melt" and then you had a ruined eyepiece.

Clear skies and keep looking up!

RalphMeisterTigerMan

#12 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 08 September 2021 - 09:24 AM

Did anyone actually use that Solar Projection screen and how did it work? Did the manual warn that when used in this configuration that only eyepieces "without" cemented elements should be used otherwise the heat would cause the cement to "melt" and then you had a ruined eyepiece.

Clear skies and keep looking up!

RalphMeisterTigerMan

Solar projection screens generally came with scopes that were supplied with Huygenian (H & H.M.) and Ramsden (R. And S.R.) eyepieces made with two singlet elements. Those eyepieces work quite well for solar projection and there is no problem with heating and melting. In fact, with the Huygenian eyepieces, the focal point actually lies outside of the eyepiece.

Edited by Terra Nova, 08 September 2021 - 09:25 AM.

• steve t, mfalls, grif 678 and 4 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics