•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

classic 60mm refractors

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#26 Kasmos

Kasmos

Skylab

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 06 September 2021 - 03:02 AM

Kasmos   love your    line up pic

"She's a Rainbow"   comes in colors

Comes-in-Colours.jpg

Edited by Kasmos, 06 September 2021 - 03:03 AM.

• Terra Nova and Defenderslideguitar like this

#27 GreyDay

GreyDay

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southport UK

Posted 06 September 2021 - 03:39 AM

Just counting the old classics from the past, how many 60mm refractors do you own, and are you looking for more?

Down to 8 classic 60mm's if you include the Zeiss at 63mm, plus 3 modern 60mm's. Would i buy more... i'm not looking for more but if the right one presents itself at the right price that's a yes.

• Star.Monger, kansas skies and Defenderslideguitar like this

#28 Senex Bibax

Senex Bibax

Viking 1

• Loc: Ottawa, ON

Posted 06 September 2021 - 07:02 AM

Did you get the Carl Wetzlar that I bought and paid for in Ottawa and then couldn't pick up becauae Covid happened right then  The seller said he would hold it for me but didn't but then again it was his grandfathers and only $30  It was a 50-60mm refractor, maybe yellow in color, I really can't remember, lol 

It was not quite yellow (processed cheese orange, actually), which was a common colour for Carl Wetzlar. I bought it two years ago in Gatineau, paid maybe $30 for it, can't remember exactly. Sold it later in 2019, pre Covid in any case.

• LDW47 and Defenderslideguitar like this

#29 LDW47

LDW47

Cosmos

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 06 September 2021 - 07:06 AM

It was not quite yellow (processed cheese orange, actually), which was a common colour for Carl Wetzlar. I bought it two years ago in Gatineau, paid maybe $30 for it, can't remember exactly. Sold it later in 2019, pre Covid in any case.

Thats the one, lol

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

#30 Tenacious

Tenacious

Viking 1

• Loc: Northern KY

Posted 06 September 2021 - 09:14 AM

Just counting the old classics from the past, how many 60mm refractors do you own, and are you looking for more?

I have two, a vintage Japan made black tube Celestron C-60, and a Unitron 114 60mm. I have thought about getting one or two more, but am debating why.

Having started with a 1980s Tasco 11TE-5 reflector (gave it away) and then moving to larger apertures, I originally discounted these as toy-like and too small.  Much later, I picked up a modern Tasco 60 x 900 OTA at a swap table to try as a quick grab-n-go.  I put it on an EQ-2, what a great combo after using a Dob for so long.  I couldn't believe how good the views were of Jupiter, Saturn, and the moon.  Later still, I went to a Carton objective, which was another leap in image fidelity.  It is a lot of fun to be under the stars with a small refractor.

I also have a Sky Chief II OTA to try out.

I'm no longer actively looking for telescopes.  If something outstanding crosses my path, I'll jump.

Edited by Tenacious, 06 September 2021 - 09:15 AM.

• kansas skies, Bomber Bob, oldmanastro and 1 other like this

#31 oldmanastro

oldmanastro

Viking 1

• Loc: San Juan, Puerto Rico-US

Posted 06 September 2021 - 09:59 AM

I still have my very first telescope. The Sears 60mm f/11 altazimuth mounted refractor from 1965. The original focuser broke down years ago and I replaced it with one from an old Meade. Then I found a twin telescope for $29, bought it as a parts scope only to find out that it was in pristine condition. Now I have two. I also have two 6305s equatorially mounted 60mm f/15 scopes. One of them is now sporting a 62mm f/15 Unitron lens. The other is completely original. Then there's that optical tube assembly that I built to mount a Carton 60mm f/17. The Unitron and Carton lenses are the best but the telescope that first showed me the rings of Saturn is that 60mm f/11. Here are the twins. The one up front was supposed to be the parts scope.

Attached Thumbnails

• 60mmtwins.JPG

• Terra Nova, kansas skies, PawPaw and 8 others like this

#32 grif 678

grif 678

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: NC

Posted 06 September 2021 - 10:39 AM

All these pictures really bring back memories of years ago, when these scopes were the going thing.

• Bomber Bob, oldmanastro, Lappe Lad and 1 other like this

#33 JoeInMN

JoeInMN

Messenger

• Loc: Minneapolis, MN, USA

Posted 06 September 2021 - 11:00 AM

I would always want to have one 60mm, but have no desire to own more than one. I'm not a collector, and I know that if I had a dozen 60 mms, I would only ever use whichever one of them was the best one anyway. Whenever I find one that's a little better than the one I already have, I adopt it and pass its predecessor along to someone else. I also have a small pile of derelict OTAs with broken or missing focusers or other parts, which I suppose will eventually go into a giveaway bag. My desire to de-clutter all areas of my life is gradually approaching a level that hopefully will spur me to actually start doing it.

• Terra Nova, oldmanastro, GreyDay and 3 others like this

#34 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

ISS

• Loc: The Swamp, LA (Lower Alabama)

Posted 06 September 2021 - 11:49 AM

All these pictures really bring back memories of years ago, when these scopes were the going thing.

50 years ago... I was thrilled to "move up" from my Sears 60x700 AZ to a Sears 60x900 EQ...  it was a REAL telescope, after all.  Besides the added FL, the accessories were higher quality -- heavier eyepieces with better chrome barrels (my very 1st Kellners!); and, The Mount!  Smooth tracking at high power started training my brain, and I would read articles about Objects for Small Telescopes, and compare my views to the sample drawings...

• mdowns, Star.Monger, kansas skies and 5 others like this

#35 Tenacious

Tenacious

Viking 1

• Loc: Northern KY

Posted 06 September 2021 - 07:52 PM

50 years ago... I was thrilled to "move up" from my Sears 60x700 AZ to a Sears 60x900 EQ...  it was a REAL telescope, after all.  Besides the added FL, the accessories were higher quality -- heavier eyepieces with better chrome barrels (my very 1st Kellners!); and, The Mount!  Smooth tracking at high power started training my brain, and I would read articles about Objects for Small Telescopes, and compare my views to the sample drawings...

I can't look back at a cherished 60mm when I was a kid,  But, its not hard to imagine a (distant!) future when my larger scopes have been passed on to younger family members and my humble Frankenscope is my only remaining access to the night sky.

• Vesper818 likes this

#36 LukaszLu

LukaszLu

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Poland

Posted 07 September 2021 - 06:31 AM

I currently have 8 and am waiting for the next one. It has left Germany and the latest news shows that has just arrived in Vienna, from where there is a straight way to my place - the vicinity of Krakow :-)

Some of these refractors are purely decorative, but most have good or great optics. Recently I got rid of my basic modern SW 120ED refractor and I am in the process of searching for a replacement. It gave me the opportunity to reach for these 60 mm antiquities more often.

Testing them, comparing them, trying to take pictures - all this gives me great joy. Even daytime observations of nature, admiring a beautiful, precise image and searching for small details on the surrounding branches and leaves ... It is a bit like the modern way of spending time by staring at the screen of a smartphone or computer - but here you have contact with reality - volatile, unique, unprocessed. This "analogue" experience harmonizes very well with the vintage character of these instruments. It gives me a sense of peace and fills me with new energy ... When I return to my daily activities, I feel a bit like I came back from a trip.

A trip back in time. In a way. Besides, I love to look at them and I feel good living among them - simply!

Attached Thumbnails

• 20210907_132237.jpg

• jsiska, 4Texans, clamchip and 13 others like this

#37 Bonco2

Bonco2

Viking 1

Posted 07 September 2021 - 03:37 PM

It's amazing what joys can be had with such a small telescope. They are lightweight, don't take up much space, nice to look at, and very functional. All this in a small not so expensive package 

• clamchip, grif 678, Star.Monger and 6 others like this

#38 Star.Monger

Star.Monger

Mariner 2

• Loc: Maine

Posted 08 September 2021 - 07:03 PM

I have 2 that are used fairly often.

A custom OTA housing the venerable Edmunds 63 f/8 on an Atco mount

IMG 0731

Another custom build around a Carton 60/1000 lens on a Carton Aerolite eq

Carton 60/1000

I have another Edmunds 63 and Carton 60/1000 lens waiting for around for divine inspiration... smile.gif

Edited by Bill Friend, 08 September 2021 - 07:23 PM.

• mdowns, Terra Nova, PawPaw and 5 others like this

#39 PawPaw

PawPaw

Viking 1

• Loc: West Central Missouri

Posted 08 September 2021 - 07:28 PM

These two are in the viewing que.    A Goto model 105  60mm F/20  and a Unitron model 128 60mm f/15.

Cheers

Don

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200613_092601a.jpg
  • 20200624_170620a.jpg

• clamchip, mdowns, Star.Monger and 8 others like this

#40 Bowlerhat

Bowlerhat

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 09 September 2021 - 02:43 AM

I just think they're perfect size, not too big, not too small.

Goto Telepac, Asahi 60/800, Vixen Custom, Astro R61.

• mdowns, Star.Monger, Terra Nova and 2 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics