•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

It's A Fire Sale! You Know, Everything Must Go!

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 RalphMeisterTigerMan

RalphMeisterTigerMan

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 September 2021 - 05:14 PM

For those of you that remember Die Hard 4, Live Free or Die Hard, where the character Matthew Farrel (Computer hacker extrodinare) is trying to explain to Bruce Willis's character, detectective John McClain why all the computer systems are going Lo-co, what a "Fire Sale" is.

Trying to make light of what happened to me, I have been using that term a lot lately. "It's a Fire Sale". Sorry, but it's one of the few ways of keeping what's left of my Sanity.

Approx. 2 weeks ago, early morning Sunday August 22, someone decided to have themselves a "wiennie roast" and set fire to the house where I and 3 other tennants were living. Fortunately, I heard the fire and saw the flames outside of my window just in time so that everyone was able to evacute. No casualties and no injuries except for the symptoms of the terrible P.T.S.D. When I say we got out just in time, I mean just in time.

Luckily my landlord had another house where I could move into with what precious belongings I was able to save; a pair of shorts, t-shirt, socks (one for each foot) and my Cell-phone...which has come in really handy...oh, and of course myself.

Unfortunately, all of my personel items including all of my Astro-gear was consumed in the "Fire-sale". Since then, thanks to family and friends, I have been able to replace many much needed items, including this ASUS Chromebook on which I am currently posting this thread.

Yes, my Nikon 12 X 50 AE binos as well as my vinatge Celestron C5+ complete package with many accessories are also gone. But at least myself and the other 3 made it out okay. Made it out to start over again.

So this is why you haven't heard from the RalphMeisterTigerMan.

I am very greatful to the Big-guy that I am alive and well and to my family and friends who have helped me immensely with all kinds of support including morale and emotional.

Clear skies and keep looking up!

RalphMeisterTigerMan

• tim53, deepwoods1, andycknight and 14 others like this

#2 shredder1656

shredder1656

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 04 September 2021 - 05:16 PM

Very sorry to hear about this horrible event.  Thankful to hear you made it out safely!  Wow!

#3 Van Do9:3

Van Do9:3

Viking 1

• Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 04 September 2021 - 06:47 PM

Prayers of thanks that everyone escaped the fire and in good health. Very traumatic event. Thank you for letting us know you are safe. 

#4 Rick-T137

Rick-T137

Apollo

• Loc: Canada

Posted 04 September 2021 - 07:08 PM

Wow! What an event! I’m glad you were cognizant enough to get yourself and your roommates out safely. It really drives home what is really important. Take care of yourself!

Rick

#5 pbealo

pbealo

Apollo

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 04 September 2021 - 07:23 PM

What astro gear are you looking to replace?? How can we help?

Peter

• Michael Covington, Rick-T137, Bowlerhat and 1 other like this

#6 Russell Smith

Russell Smith

Vanguard

• Loc: 76707

Posted 04 September 2021 - 07:41 PM

So glad this terrible event had no loss of life.
Happy you're still kicking Tigerman
Russ

#7 Piaget

Piaget

Viking 1

• Loc: Eastern Missouri

Posted 04 September 2021 - 08:48 PM

Ralph , I have a brand new Orion Apex 102mm Mak you can have for free. If interested PM me.  Piaget

Edited by Piaget, 05 September 2021 - 12:28 AM.

• godelescher, mdowns, andycknight and 5 others like this

#8 Marcus Roman

Marcus Roman

Messenger

Posted 05 September 2021 - 06:17 AM

For those of you that remember Die Hard 4, Live Free or Die Hard, where the character Matthew Farrel (Computer hacker extrodinare) is trying to explain to Bruce Willis's character, detectective John McClain why all the computer systems are going Lo-co, what a "Fire Sale" is.

Trying to make light of what happened to me, I have been using that term a lot lately. "It's a Fire Sale". Sorry, but it's one of the few ways of keeping what's left of my Sanity.

Approx. 2 weeks ago, early morning Sunday August 22, someone decided to have themselves a "wiennie roast" and set fire to the house where I and 3 other tennants were living. Fortunately, I heard the fire and saw the flames outside of my window just in time so that everyone was able to evacute. No casualties and no injuries except for the symptoms of the terrible P.T.S.D. When I say we got out just in time, I mean just in time.

Luckily my landlord had another house where I could move into with what precious belongings I was able to save; a pair of shorts, t-shirt, socks (one for each foot) and my Cell-phone...which has come in really handy...oh, and of course myself.

Unfortunately, all of my personel items including all of my Astro-gear was consumed in the "Fire-sale". Since then, thanks to family and friends, I have been able to replace many much needed items, including this ASUS Chromebook on which I am currently posting this thread.

Yes, my Nikon 12 X 50 AE binos as well as my vinatge Celestron C5+ complete package with many accessories are also gone. But at least myself and the other 3 made it out okay. Made it out to start over again.

So this is why you haven't heard from the RalphMeisterTigerMan.

I am very greatful to the Big-guy that I am alive and well and to my family and friends who have helped me immensely with all kinds of support including morale and emotional.

RalphMeisterTigerMan

Good Luck, my friend,  look the stars upon you!

Edited by Marcus Roman, 05 September 2021 - 06:18 AM.

#9 shredder1656

shredder1656

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 05 September 2021 - 06:22 AM

I have an older 80mm/900 (I believe) Meade 3xx refractor.  I do not remember the exact model, but it is a 312 or one of the variants.  I think it is Towa made.  Definitely from that era.  Not the top-notch optics, but I kept it because I thought I would eventually mount it and use it for awhile. 

You are WELCOME to that as well, if it is of interest.  I will get some pics, if you would like to have an idea before I send it to you.  No pressure at all.  PM me.  Might have some other stuff too.  Problem is I thinned waaay down not too long ago.

• mdowns, andycknight, Rick-T137 and 1 other like this

#10 Senex Bibax

Senex Bibax

Viking 1

• Loc: Ottawa, ON

Posted 05 September 2021 - 06:50 AM

Ralph, I wanted to "Like" your post but that really sucks. At least you are safe, which is important.

An early morning wiener roast.. sounds like large quantities of alcohol or other substances were involved. Has the person(s) responsible been charged? Were any of your losses covered by insurance - though it would be hard to put an appraisal value on older astro gear.

I assume you are in North America? I have a pair of Admiral (Swiss brand, Japanese mfg) 7x50 roof prism binoculars that you are welcome to if you like, send me a PM if so. Might have more stuff too.

• Michael Covington and LU1AR like this

#11 RalphMeisterTigerMan

RalphMeisterTigerMan

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 05 September 2021 - 07:17 AM

From what I understand, it was definitely a case of arson. I'm not sure if anyone has been charged yet but the Abbotsford P.D. are investigating. 

I remember turning off my TV at about 1:15 A.M. and must have dozed off. Then I remember what sounded like heavy rain which quickly turned to the sound of a campfire VERY close. Something told me to sit up and when I did I saw an orange glow out of the corner of my left eye. Looking all the way left, I saw it. My room was on the second floor and the flames had already reached the ROOF! I'll never forget that sound and that orange/yellow/red glow. Luckily my 61 year old brain statrted screaming at me to grab what I could (shorts, t-shirt, socks and cell phone) and run to the stairs leading down to the basement and I started yelling, I could not believe NO ONE else heard or saw the fire except for the neighbours across the street who come busting down the down yelling to get out.

Sorry, I can't write anymore. I just can't get the sound of the "campfire" and the very near glow of the flames out of my head. Also, the effects of the concussion from doing the "face-plant" has made it hard to concentrate and think. Also, for anyone who has ever felt the nightmare effects of P.T.S.D., well, you understand.

Thanks to all who have graciously offered to donate equipment, not sure if I'll ever be able to replace the C5+ or any of the other equipment which was destroyed in the conflagration. One thing is for sure, this is one "Fire-Sale" where nothing could possibly be sold!

Enjoy life and be thankful for what you have. As I and my roomates found out, things can change very quickly!

RalphMeisterTigerMan

• tim53, pbealo, mdowns and 9 others like this

#12 spacemunkee

spacemunkee

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio

Posted 05 September 2021 - 07:40 AM

Wow, sorry to hear of this. Hope whoever is responsible, whether on purpose or through neglect, is nailed to the wall. 

Perhaps you should start a Go Fund Me with a link here(if allowed in this case) for folks to throw a couple bucks your way if so inclined. 

Wishing you well and back to some normalcy asap.

#13 Marc-Andre

Marc-Andre

Apollo

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 05 September 2021 - 08:51 AM

I'm sorry this happened to you and your fellow tenants, but so grateful your lives were spared.  Praying for peace to return.

#14 RalphMeisterTigerMan

RalphMeisterTigerMan

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 05 September 2021 - 05:18 PM

Thank-you to all that have responded with kind well wishes. I knew that CNer's were kind hearted people but I am overwhelmed by the positive response. 

Thanks to all of you!

RalphMeisterTigerMan

• davidc135 and Rick-T137 like this

#15 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 05 September 2021 - 06:40 PM

What an awful tragedy and arson on top of it! It’s a miracle no one was killed. I’m glad that you got out alive and without physical injury, but so sorry for all the trauma you and other have to suffer. Hopefully the culprit will be caught. Did you have renter’s insurance? For the building to have gone up in flames so fast and so completely one has to wonder if it was up to code? Perhaps some settlement can be reached with the building owner.

#16 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Loc: Athens, Georgia, USA

Posted 05 September 2021 - 08:41 PM

Yikes!  There might be people with equipment or accessories to spare that closely resemble what you lost.  If you'll post a complete list of what you lost, maybe we can start helping you get a working configuration again.

#17 Kasmos

Kasmos

Skylab

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 06 September 2021 - 03:18 AM

Sorry to hear of this horrible event. Words fail me.

#18 DouglasPaul

DouglasPaul

Viking 1

• Loc: Monroe Washington

Posted 06 September 2021 - 02:55 PM

Yikes. I hope you recover quickly, in all aspects. What a shock this had to be. 

• Piaget likes this

#19 deepwoods1

deepwoods1

Vanguard

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 06 September 2021 - 05:32 PM

Holy Bleep! You and everyone else got out, stuff is replaceable. Be well……

#20 LU1AR

LU1AR

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 06 September 2021 - 06:41 PM

Dear Ralph: From my Panglossian optimism, I propose that you see these aspects:
You and your family have survived.
You have had the rare opportunity to see the level of solidarity; of the people with whom we crossed in this forum.
I hope you have a prompt recovery.
Edgardo

• Michael Covington and MikeBY like this

#21 Lentini

Lentini

Mariner 2

Posted 07 September 2021 - 12:24 AM

Dr. Pangloss…

Nice reference. Appropriate.

#22 RalphMeisterTigerMan

RalphMeisterTigerMan

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 07 September 2021 - 08:16 AM

Dear EdGardo, thank-you. I totally agree. Things can replaced over time, lives cannot. I would like to say more about the Arson aspect to this vicious crime but at this time it is still under investigation. I will update when the culprit has been caught, charged and had terrible things done to them...LOL!

RalphMeisterTigerMan

P.S. I have been gifted and blessed with Family and Friends who have helped out. I must give a big thanks and Kudos to my oldest Son Kyle. Both he and his American GF have helped out alot and been there for me. You never know what you have "till it's gone". Remember the old 1960's song, "paved paradise, put up a parking lot".

• Terra Nova and Bowlerhat like this

#23 epee

epee

Aurora

• Loc: Suh-van-nuh, Jaw-juh

Posted 07 September 2021 - 01:50 PM

So sorry undecided.gif

#24 Paul Sweeney

Paul Sweeney

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Heidelberg, Germany

Posted 08 September 2021 - 01:33 AM

What a terrible thing to have happen to you. It's bad enough that people lose their homes to forest fires, floods, tornadoes, etc. But to lose everything because some brainless bozos want to play with fire. Unbelievable.

Glad to know you got out safe. That is all that really counts.

Edited by Paul Sweeney, 08 September 2021 - 01:34 AM.

#25 Bowlerhat

Bowlerhat

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 09 September 2021 - 02:48 AM

Jeez, bunch of dirtbags, the worst. Good thing to hear that you're safe.

Edited by mdowns, 09 September 2021 - 06:57 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics