•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Add Dovetail to 12” GSO Truss RC?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 fyrfytr310

fyrfytr310

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 September 2021 - 10:10 PM

I am acquiring the subject scope but am wondering if anyone has added dovetails to the sides of the truss system? It comes with the 2 factory dovetails but I can see use for 1-2 more.

#2 MCinAZ

MCinAZ

Mariner 2

• Loc: Northern Arizona

Posted 05 September 2021 - 12:59 PM

Looking at the images on the High Point Scientific site, it appears that the factory dovetails are mounted via tapped holes in the front and rear octagonal bulkheads. I don't see any reason that additional dovetail plates couldn't be placed on the flats at 90 degrees, however in the pictures no holes are shown at those locations. Drilling and tapping new holes could be something of a challenge.

Depending upon your needs and the capacity or your mount, you may be better off with multiple accessories on the top rail.

#3 fyrfytr310

fyrfytr310

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 05 September 2021 - 06:04 PM

That aligns with what I see as well.

I want to run two small refractor on this as well as some elements of my power management system.  I’ll probably just drill and tap the rings myself.  

I’m using a CEM120.  Just FYI.

Looking at the images on the High Point Scientific site, it appears that the factory dovetails are mounted via tapped holes in the front and rear octagonal bulkheads. I don't see any reason that additional dovetail plates couldn't be placed on the flats at 90 degrees, however in the pictures no holes are shown at those locations. Drilling and tapping new holes could be something of a challenge.

Depending upon your needs and the capacity or your mount, you may be better off with multiple accessories on the top rail.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics