•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How long did scopes stay in the store before they're sold (pre-covid)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 starcruiser

starcruiser

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 September 2021 - 04:03 PM

I know times are different now but before COVID, how long did scopes sit in the store (on average) before they got sold?

When I bought my C8 online from Woodland Hills in 2002, I've often wondered how long it sat in the store. Weeks? Months?...Years? 

• teashea likes this

#2 ShaulaB

ShaulaB

Gemini

• Loc: Missouri

Posted 05 September 2021 - 04:07 PM

Store?
  • Astrola72 likes this

#3 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Voyager 1

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 05 September 2021 - 05:25 PM

Inventory now-a-days is almost entirely at (one of the) warehouses owned or rented by the manufacturer. Dealers will stock some popular, hot, or fast-moving items, especially if they have a walk-in store. In the business sense... inventory itself is an expense. Some products degrade, depreciate, with time. And some products are just too arcane or expensive for a dealer to pre-buy. When I ordered my Nikon WX 10x50 bino --- it took several weeks to arrive! The dealer waited for my payment to entirely clear and probably then had the factory (Nikon Japan?) ship my unit. Can't blame them. The bino arrived in perfect condition and I've been enjoying ever since.  Tom

• Castor, dave253 and teashea like this

#4 Cpk133

Cpk133

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 05 September 2021 - 05:27 PM

Why dont you just ask them?  In many cases, they drop ship from the mfg.  

#5 teashea

teashea

Gemini

• Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA

Posted 05 September 2021 - 07:33 PM

Inventory now-a-days is almost entirely at (one of the) warehouses owned or rented by the manufacturer. Dealers will stock some popular, hot, or fast-moving items, especially if they have a walk-in store. In the business sense... inventory itself is an expense. Some products degrade, depreciate, with time. And some products are just too arcane or expensive for a dealer to pre-buy. When I ordered my Nikon WX 10x50 bino --- it took several weeks to arrive! The dealer waited for my payment to entirely clear and probably then had the factory (Nikon Japan?) ship my unit. Can't blame them. The bino arrived in perfect condition and I've been enjoying ever since.  Tom

That is very true for Takahashi.  

#6 junomike

junomike

ISS

• Administrators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 06 September 2021 - 08:29 AM

IME pre-covid had many high priced OTA's/Set ups lingering around for some time before being sold.

#7 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Gemini

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 06 September 2021 - 11:04 AM

Depending on the vendor practices the time varies.  In the modern era there are only a few brick and mortar store operations and they tend to move stock through and keep only base order numbers for much stock unless it's a volume seller.   When I bought my first  serious telescope the store had to order it drop shipped and I picked it up at the store after we inspected it and that was more than 20 years ago.  Many small vendors 'sell' in drop ship form online so they never touch the telescope.   Companies like Highpoint Scientific and OPT have actual warehouse operations but have to order months in advance so they have to project expected sales and order based on that projection.   What usually hangs around vendor's storage are low-end equipment and cheap items that they can order in quantity for a better volume price. 

There's not a huge margin for most vendors so keeping a large inventory isn't profitable.   Years ago you might find the long time vendor who would bring old stock to the multi-day star parties and sell it discounted once the found out it wasn't a quick seller.  

• Castor and teashea like this

#8 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 07 September 2021 - 02:40 PM

Every new scope that I have bought  (over  several decades) was not from store inventory, but rather drop shipped. I'm not sure if that was a common experience, but it might suggest that selling from store inventory was not as commonplace as one might think.

• ShaulaB and teashea like this

#9 rhaskins

rhaskins

Ranger 4

• Loc: Minnesota

Posted 07 September 2021 - 04:29 PM

The only scope I ever bought from stock was a Stellarvue, but that was years ago . . .

Rick

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics