•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Repurposing compound or stereoscopic microscope parts

Classic DIY Eyepieces Equipment Optics
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Brianm14

Brianm14

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 05 September 2021 - 10:16 PM

Help!

As a professional microscopist who has gratefully rejoined the ranks of amateur astronomers after a brief hiatus of some . . . . 54 years (cough, cough), I am curious as to which, if any, parts of compound or stereoscopic microscopes can be fruitfully repurposed and used with telescopes.  

While I should be able to puzzle a lot of this out on my own by pondering the relevant optics involved, I’d much rather defer and listen to the highly expert opinion I see exhibited in every thread here on Cloudy Nights.

(It is so nice to be back:  I was getting a crick in my neck bending over my lovely Wilds, Nikons, Zeiss’, Olympus, and Meiji instruments (plus a few fine Baker, Beck’s, B&L, and AO examples).  Even my old Edmund 3” Newtonian “white tube” reflector never occasioned any visits to the chiropractor’s table.)

What, if anything, can I scavenge and recycle?

(By way of returning the favor of the warmly sincere welcome I’ve been so generously afforded on this forum, if anyone is interested please start some threads on microscopes and microscopy in the appropriate places, or PM me.  I’ve got a good-sized collection of fine microscopes of many vintages in various states of dress, undress, or repair, plus many individual objectives, oculars, and misc. items.  My ever-tolerant wife has “suggested” it might be nice to “thin the herd” a bit to make room for the astronomy gear.  😳)

Thanks!

• LU1AR and javad like this

#2 LU1AR

LU1AR

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 06 September 2021 - 11:46 AM

Brian: I appreciate your collaorative attitude. I have taken advantage of microscopes and found offers for excellent equipment on internet sales sites.
I currently use microscope eyepieces, adapted to 1.25 ".
I have many eyepieces and I constantly find others.
I have also obtained an X / Y table that I am going to convert into the movements of a Foucault apparatus.

Attached Thumbnails

• Oculares EM 04.jpg
  • X-Y.jpg

#3 Brianm14

Brianm14

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 07 September 2021 - 08:37 AM

LU1AR,

Yes, yes, yes!

Wow!  Lovely, just lovely!  You inspire me to dig more deeply!  The”eyes” have it!  Large or small.

I love your resourcefulness concerning the Foucault.  Please post on this as you move forward.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Classic, DIY, Eyepieces, Equipment, Optics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics