•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Correct Way to Mount a C6 Tube

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jim T Smith

Jim T Smith

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: Allison Park ,PA

Posted 05 September 2021 - 10:38 PM

IMG_1993.JPG I recently purchased a Celestron C6 Tube Assembly and a Sky-Watcher AZ5 mount, all is fine except I keep going back and forth on how to mate the tube with the Mount!  The 'scope seems to be most comfortable to use with the focus knob on the bottom, as one doesn't need  reach over the eyepiece to focus! However, mounted like this, the controls for the Sky-Watcher seem " wrong" with the attachment rail on left side looking "down range"!  If I place the tube with the rail on the "right' side, focus knob at top, the Sky-Watcher controls are well placed , however, I now have to reach over the diagonal and eyepiece to focus! Is this just matter of personal preference, or is there a correct way? Note, I've never seen a Schmidt Cas. on a factory mount with the knob on top, always right side or bottom! Hence my question!IMG_1993.JPG IMG_1994.JPG

Edited by Jim T Smith, 05 September 2021 - 10:46 PM.

• Castor likes this

#2 Jethro7

Jethro7

Vanguard

• Loc: N.W. Florida

Posted 05 September 2021 - 10:45 PM

Hello Jim,

You may mount the scope how ever you wish. The good thing is you dont have to constantly fiddle with the focuser. 

HAPPY SKIES AND KEEP LOOKING UP Jethro

Edited by Jethro7, 05 September 2021 - 10:49 PM.

#3 Reid W

Reid W

Apollo

• Loc: Shreveport, LA

Posted 06 September 2021 - 06:39 AM

With my C6, I removed the oem dovetail bar and use a pair of rings and compatible bar from Agena.

With this setup, I can keep the finder/focuser knob  in the "correct" position regardless of the mount I'm using.

• KerryR and Jim T Smith like this

#4 KerryR

KerryR

Skylab

• Loc: West Michigan

Posted 06 September 2021 - 09:28 AM

With my C6, I removed the oem dovetail bar and use a pair of rings and compatible bar from Agena.

With this setup, I can keep the finder/focuser knob  in the "correct" position regardless of the mount I'm using.

This is what I did with my C6 (SE, deforked), too. I like having the focus knob on the lower right, and the finder on the upper left. Oddly, most of my alt az mounts need the rail on the opposite side from the stock bolted on bar.

• Jim T Smith likes this

#5 RAKing

RAKing

Cosmos

• Loc: Northern VA - West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 06 September 2021 - 11:51 AM

My TEC Maks used a micrometer head as a focuser that was mounted on top (12 o'clock) with the dovetail on the bottom. The usual place for commercial SCTs is at 3 o'clock with the dovetail on the bottom.

With a fork mount or alt-az mount, the focuser will stay in the same place.  With an EQ mount, the focuser will roll around to different places as the mount moves.  It doesn't matter where the focuser is as long as you are comfortable working it.

I use an EQ mount and got used to the "moving" focuser many years ago.

Cheers,

Ron

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics