•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Anyone using Starry Nights for driving?

Accessories Celestron Charts Equipment Observing Planetarium Software
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Notdarkenough

Notdarkenough

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: 4700' ft elevation at 41°

Posted 06 September 2021 - 11:02 AM

Hello. I, like most of you, received licenses for CPWI, Starry Nights, and a recommendation for SkyPortal when I purchased my Evo 8HD. I use CPWI sometimes, SkySafari Pro almost every session, and the HC-exclusively for "faint fuzzies". My question is this: does anyone use Starry Nights for driving? I know it is the cat's pajamas in an educational setting, but I am only educating a party of one, hands-on style! I've watched the you tube videos and read the documents, and it seems like a solid program. Anyone have experience here?

Thank you-

Mike

#2 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Author of The NexStar Users Guide

• Vendors

Posted 07 September 2021 - 07:48 PM

Hi Mike,

I have used it and it works fine but I almost never take the laptop out with the scopes so SkySafari is my go-to (no pun intended) app.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
https://www.NexStarSite.com

• ShaulaB likes this

#3 Ambart3561

Ambart3561

Sputnik

• Loc: Idaho

Posted 08 September 2021 - 03:35 PM

I used Starry Night from 2003 until SkySafari came out. Starry Night was perfect for me starting out as a visual observer. Had many years of fun with it. I tried SkySafari and WiFi scope control when it arrived and never looked back. I still have the latest version (8) of Starry night but almost never use it. SS6 on my Mac  and iPad are so familiar to me now I think I would have a hard time using anything else. 

Bit off topic: How do you like your Baader M&SG filter?

• ShaulaB likes this

#4 Notdarkenough

Notdarkenough

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: 4700' ft elevation at 41°

Posted 15 September 2021 - 10:44 AM

Bit off topic: How do you like your Baader M&SG filter?

I really enjoy the Baader Neodymium M&SG. It works very well on Solar Sytem objects (except Sun and Jupiter, which is better in the raw). I don't have significant light pollution and I don't have a UHC-labeled filter, so comparisons are tricky. I have 3 non-moon filters: the previously mentioned Baader, a DGM NPB, and Tele Vue Bandmate Type II O-III; they tend to cover almost anything but Ha/Hb.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Accessories, Celestron, Charts, Equipment, Observing, Planetarium, Software

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics