•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ALEKO AR1450NOR-M for ROR

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 njrusty

njrusty

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 September 2021 - 03:54 PM

Been using a standard garage door opener in my observatory for 15 years now.  Since I can only hook it up on one side of the ROR, the roof tends to '****' alot and it has been getting more and more frustrating trying to brace it to try to reduce these issues.

Thinking about buying a ALEKO AR1450NOR-M and setup a track system down the middle of the roof line, which should make the roof open/close evenly.  Any thoughts with this system?  Going to put the Amazon links below.

https://www.amazon.c...lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Appreciate any advice.  Wife gave the go-ahead to order but wanted to check here first!!!   :-)

#2 GrandadCast

GrandadCast

Apollo

• Loc: Hill Country, Texas

Posted 07 September 2021 - 10:20 AM

I am using an Aleko 1450 very much like the link you show. It is mounted on the side which is quite different from your need. My friend has the same issue you are facing and I been thinking how his would have to work, so I have given a lot of thought regarding a center rail setup for his needs.

However, one piece of information is need from you to see what would work.

1) The rail goes through the roof, running through the center of the observatory, and the front of the rail is mounted to the roof's front. The Aleko motor can be mounted outside or inside by the back wall. Outside will open the roof all the way.

-OR-

2) The rail needs to be outside due to clearance inside (hitting your head on the rail when the roof is closed). This will require that the motor be mounted outside, center and just past where the roof is when it is totally opened. This will require that another center beam is ran from the rear wall, past the point where the Aleko is mounted with enough beam to hold the rail when the roof is toally opened. For example, a 12x12 ROR would require 20-24 feet of center support beam starting from the outside wall so that the rail which is about 14-16 feet long can ride on top of it. 

I would go with #2 unless you have a very tall wall. Yeah, it complicated but its the best way without compromise. No holes in the wall, everthing mounted outside and the Aleko is water protected as designed.

Mounting the track side way along with the Aleko sideway is possible but I am not a fan of this if mounted outside. It would require more water protection for the Aleko box.

I like the Aleko, it is quite and fast. The keyfob is great to have. A scope park sensor can be used to make sure the mount is not going to be hit if that is needed. I am using a magnetic sensor currently for my scope mount park. If you are able, then the relay on the mother board inside the Aleko that controls the motor can be easily modified. The circuit board pad going to the motor relay, its low voltage, can be cut and two wires soldered on each side. Then run these wire to the magnetic sensor switch mounted on the pier. If the mount is parked, the switch will be closed and the pad is reconnected and the motor will run. If the mount is not parked, the switch is open and the relay will not be able to engage. 

I am still working on my system, the grandkids visited all summer so work sort of stop. I have changed a few things like starting from scatch the Arduino program, however the basic system is in this post. Once I have finsihed version 2 of the Arduino project, I will post that with the new Arduino sketch.

https://www.cloudyni...o-be-motorized/

Jess

#3 njrusty

njrusty

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 September 2021 - 07:17 PM

Thank you for the great info!!!  I really appreciate it.

Do the Alekos have mounting brackets underneath to bolt them in place?  Have not decided whether to have the spoke horizontal or vertical.  Will have to see it before deciding.

#4 GrandadCast

GrandadCast

Apollo

Posted 09 September 2021 - 08:23 AM

Bolt from the bottom. 

#5 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Cosmos

• Loc: Florida

Posted 09 September 2021 - 11:52 AM

Thanks for this! I was contemplating a garage door opener, but I much better like these gate openers and tracks. I'm thinking I will put one in mine and mount it in the center, inside the observatory and simply extend the track a little out on each side to allow it to open completely.

Very best,

#6 wotalota

wotalota

Sputnik

• Loc: SW New Hampshire

Posted 10 September 2021 - 01:47 PM

It is 3 years since my Aleko 1450 was installed and it is working well. Center track mounted inside without extending through the wall. Probably the reason it doesn't go outside is due to building then planning. The door wound up where it would need to extend. Not too bad in my case since the roof peak ends up not much higher than the tree line. I used the Aleko rails and some big wheels since the roof is built heavy for snow. Mounting the motor on its side like I did, it does leak a little oil. If I did have a failure with the motor I would look for another Aleko with similar power but with a slow start/stop feature. I replaced a part on the control board and found their support very helpful. I also use a Arduino to take the role of a push button, it is controlled by the imaging computer running linux/KStars.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1162.JPG
  • IMG_1234.JPG
  • IMG_1164.JPG
  • IMG_1235.JPG

#7 njrusty

njrusty

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 September 2021 - 07:20 AM

I mounted my motor system in place.  Noticed 2 issues:

1)  With the gear/rail locked together, there appears to be no way to manually open the roof (by hand) because it does not appear the cog can be disengaged from the rail 'teeth'.  Is there a way for the cog to spin freely without power to the motor?

2)  When motor engaged to open/close roof, definitely a quick and rough start for teeth engagement.  Noticed in manual you can adjust tolerance (sensativity) but there are 3 potentimeters there, which one does what???  Instruction manual not very well written.

Thanks All!!!!

#8 GrandadCast

GrandadCast

Apollo

Posted 20 September 2021 - 12:21 PM

There should be two keys. They actually look like like a straight socket with a handle. There should be a hole where this key should be able to turn counter or clockwise to release the gear. On my 1450 and roof, once disengage it opens as if the Aleko is even there. 

Jess

#9 GrandadCast

GrandadCast

Apollo

Posted 21 September 2021 - 07:08 AM

Are you controlling by ASCOM or just a manual button? 

I have completed an Arduino project which can allow ASCOM to work. In my case, I added a large manual button, still can use the key fob, and SGPro. 

Jess

#10 njrusty

njrusty

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 September 2021 - 07:23 AM

Thank you gents for this info.  This was driving me nuts and of course the instruction manual was worthless and didn't even mention the keys or the clutch.  I mounted my motor horizontally due to the motor mounting limitations on my observatory but am now going to disassemble the installation and rotate the motor 90 degrees to allow the COG to be vertical and have the rail teeth pointing down.

Right now I'm just using the remote keypad to control the opening/closing but will pursue an ASCOM solution to remotely open the roof.

#11 Broz22

Broz22

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 22 September 2021 - 02:17 PM

I've also been considering one of the Aleko gear-drives, but am having trouble seeing a wayto open the roof about 2' pas the end wall while minimizing holes in the the 2 gable roof walls where they would pass over the motor. Is it possible to mount the motor upside down and outside the wall? I realize that it would require some kind of additional waterproofing. Thanks,

John

#12 Broz22

Broz22

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 22 September 2021 - 02:22 PM

One other think that might work is if there is a chain drive system that uses a continuous loop. So a free-rotating gear would be mounted pn a beam below one end of the roof which would be attached to the top of the chain loop. The motor would be outside and drive the chain, either at the end of the loop with the chain wrapped around the gear, or in between with the gear just driving the top or the bottom of the loop. Anyone know of such a system? This might work for the OP's need as well.

John

#13 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Cosmos

Posted Today, 11:24 AM

Hrm,

Anyone with one of these can answer the following:

Do these have to be hard wired or something? Nothing with just an AC plug to put into an outlet? If that's the case, should I just look at a garage door opener then? I want to mount a motor inside my obs to move the roof. It's light weight, 8 x 12 roof. I just want the convenience at this point.

Very best,

#14 f430

f430

Viking 1

• Loc: La Mesa, CA.

Posted Today, 11:46 AM

MalVeauX,

You'll have to connect a 120V wire with an AC plug on one end to the Aleko unit, but that is simple. Then just plug it in and operate it with the supplied wireless control.

For a small roof like yours, and mine, this unit works well, plus it has a Soft Start/Stop, so it starts off slowly and closes slowly.

The same unit is available at Lowes for about 40 bucks less. 

Edited by f430, Today, 11:47 AM.

• MalVeauX likes this

#15 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Cosmos

Posted Today, 11:52 AM

MalVeauX,

You'll have to connect a 120V wire with an AC plug on one end to the Aleko unit, but that is simple. Then just plug it in and operate it with the supplied wireless control.

For a small roof like yours, and mine, this unit works well, plus it has a Soft Start/Stop, so it starts off slowly and closes slowly.

The same unit is available at Lowes for about 40 bucks less. 

Thanks!

I don't' mind attaching a wire with AC plug if it's just a matter of doing +/- and ground and then sealing it up. I really like how these look rather than a chain and it would work in my current obs build with zero modification, just mount the track on my roof and mount the motor on the wall sideways and it would be ready to go. 900lbs is plenty. I open it manually now and it takes little effort other than it being at the end of my reach lol.

So just something like one of these and wire them together and then good to go?

https://www.amazon.c...B000BQKCJC/ref=

https://www.amazon.c...B078FNZY2H/ref=

If so, I can do that no prob.

I guess the only other issue is the oil leaking thing? Seems odd that oil can leak. Was this just something being loose?

Very best,

Edited by MalVeauX, Today, 11:57 AM.

#16 f430

f430

Viking 1

• Loc: La Mesa, CA.

Posted Today, 12:01 PM

Yes, that's it.

The instructions with the Aleko show you where to connect the wires on the unit. 

You can also just as easily connect a push button to open/close the roof with two more wire connections.

• MalVeauX likes this

#17 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Cosmos

Posted Today, 12:40 PM

Yes, that's it.

The instructions with the Aleko show you where to connect the wires on the unit. 

You can also just as easily connect a push button to open/close the roof with two more wire connections.

Thanks; I think I can do that then! I'd love to have a remote fob to open/close. So I can close from inside and call it a night without walking out. The goal is remote operation from my house over wifi, 100 feet away or so. I already can do this, but I have to walk out and open the obs. Would love to just push a button and open it up. Especially when its super hot or humid (Florida!).

Very best,

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics