•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First efforts with SLV

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Eor312

Eor312

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 06 September 2021 - 05:23 PM

Finally got some free time, clear skies, and interesting solar features to all line up today, giving me a chance to take my first running bash at descott12's Solar Live View (SLV) software.

Really digging it so far!  Took a bit of trial and error for me to begin to think the way the workflow expects.  User guide was pretty helpful here!

Spent a fair bit of time playing around on the different tabs, seeing what I could make work, and what will need more effort on my part (tried a couple of composites...they came out "ok" but not what I was hoping for...need more practice getting the alignment right!)

Still don't think I quiiiiiiiiiiiite have a feel for how alignment happens in timelapses, or the best way to configure things...nothing that can't be overcome with some effort and practice I'm sure.  In the mean time, manual alignment was pretty simple to grasp, and not difficult.

SO

The end results of my first day with the software, a big gorgeous loop on the NE limb today..  Acquired 2021-09-06 ~ 1630 - 1730 UTC

GAQOj4d.png

1 hour timelapse : https://i.imgur.com/xFneNjn.mp4

Edited by Eor312, 06 September 2021 - 05:35 PM.

• Lost in Space, rigel123, hopskipson and 3 others like this

#2 descott12

descott12

Gemini

• Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 06 September 2021 - 05:29 PM

Beautiful! Very nice shot and I am glad it worked for you. Please let me know if you have any question about creating an animation.

• AlwaysHungry likes this

#3 Eor312

Eor312

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 06 September 2021 - 05:30 PM

Beautiful! Very nice shot and I am glad it worked for you. Please let me know if you have any question about creating an animation.

Thanks Dave!

The only animation question I have currently is how the heck to upload one here.  *lol*

I managed to get the post to agree to a link to the MP4...but several threads seem to include the animations. 

#4 descott12

descott12

Gemini

Posted 06 September 2021 - 06:30 PM

Thanks Dave!

The only animation question I have currently is how the heck to upload one here.  *lol*

I managed to get the post to agree to a link to the MP4...but several threads seem to include the animations. 

Ah well, the files are often too big so you have to host them elsewhere and then provide a link just like you did.  Is there a better way to do it??

#5 descott12

descott12

Gemini

Posted 06 September 2021 - 06:58 PM

I missed your video link before and only saw the still..the video looks great!

Really nice fine detail - much better than I can get with my usual seeing conditions. I have been wanting to see what SLV can do with good data!

What scope did you use and what SLV parameters - how many frames, how often, etc.

NICE job!

• Eor312 likes this

#6 Eor312

Eor312

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 06 September 2021 - 08:01 PM

I missed your video link before and only saw the still..the video looks great!

Really nice fine detail - much better than I can get with my usual seeing conditions. I have been wanting to see what SLV can do with good data!

What scope did you use and what SLV parameters - how many frames, how often, etc.

NICE job!

Thanks for the kind words. :)

Lunt LS50Tha 50mm, single stack.  ASI 178MM camera.  Captured via SharpCap 3.2, 100 frame .SER every 30s, SLV stacking best 10%.  Total of 120 stacks, over 1 hour.

• descott12 likes this

#7 rigel123

rigel123

ISS

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 06 September 2021 - 08:07 PM

Nice job, that came out great!

• Eor312 likes this

#8 Tailspin45

Tailspin45

Mariner 2

• Loc: Carlsbad CA, near San Diego (Bortle 8)

Posted 13 October 2021 - 09:46 AM

Well SLV is a dream come true. Literally.

Used SharpCap to capture 200 frames every minute for an hour yesterday—my second session with a new Lunt 40/B600.

And then I spent the rest of the day trying to figure out what do with 12000 frames. Brute force and ignorance sometimes gets the job done but this would be impossible.

Last night I dreamt of a program that would handle all the fiddly steps and produce a nice timelapse. This morning I rummaged around CN and, lo...

You don't have to be psychic to know what I'm going to be doing this morning!

Thank you, Dave!

Edited by Tailspin45, 13 October 2021 - 10:37 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics