•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Need Club website help

Clubs
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Bestred1

Bestred1

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Lacombe, Louisiana, USA

Posted 07 September 2021 - 09:13 AM

Looking for recommendations from Club officers or Webmasters for what you are doing with your Astro club's or Star Party's websites ......

I recently took over webmaster duties for our club and don't really like what I've discovered. I do have some html experience but the architecture of our site is just too outdated and difficult to maintain. It looks to be 20-years out of date from a source standpoint. The club's officers would like to change a number of things including how our dues are paid online. I believe we need to abandon the current structure and go to a more modern architecture that's a lot easier to maintain.

A couple of questions and I'm also open to general suggestions:

- Who created or maintains your website? Pro, amateur, club member? Cost?

- If you're a webmaster, what application(s) are you using? Word press, etc..? 

Thanks!

Our current site:

astronola.org

#2 iam1ru12

iam1ru12

Viking 1

• Loc: Raleigh/Durham, NC

Posted 08 September 2021 - 10:56 PM

Club officer here.  We use Wordpress.  We also have our site integrated with Membership Works for tracking dues, members, etc.  I highly recommend Membership Works!

-Mike

• steveastrouk and Bestred1 like this

#3 gwfbmd

gwfbmd

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: DC

Posted 09 September 2021 - 06:28 AM

I can recommend Antenna as a WYSIWYG web editor.  It's not too complicated but it does allow you to do many nice things, like embedded video and custom mobile versions.  The learning curve is not steep but it is there.  I've used the software for fifteen years and continue to be happy.

WordPress is good and I have used it as well, but I didn't feel it was as strong if you are looking to make a site with a lot of graphics, videos, or just generally a modern appearance.

• Bestred1 likes this

#4 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Voyager 1

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 09 September 2021 - 11:18 AM

I can recommend Antenna as a WYSIWYG web editor.  It's not too complicated but it does allow you to do many nice things, like embedded video and custom mobile versions.  The learning curve is not steep but it is there.  I've used the software for fifteen years and continue to be happy.

WordPress is good and I have used it as well, but I didn't feel it was as strong if you are looking to make a site with a lot of graphics, videos, or just generally a modern appearance.

I'm interested in the Antenna thing. Can it edit an existing HTML website?

I have used Dreamweaver for  years. Of course, I am not recommending it because I do not believe you can purchase it any more. It died some years ago. I live in fear that my old  laptop will die. It is the only device that has my Dreamweaver on it. If it dies-----how will I edit my website? 

I am looking for a  replacement for it. 

Alex

#5 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Voyager 1

Posted 09 September 2021 - 11:20 AM

I use Weebly for another of the websites I am in charge of. Can't say I like it, but it does the job. Rather limited in how it does things. Or maybe I just do not know what I am doing!!!

Alex

• Bestred1 likes this

#6 Bestred1

Bestred1

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 10 September 2021 - 08:54 AM

Club officer here.  We use Wordpress.  We also have our site integrated with Membership Works for tracking dues, members, etc.  I highly recommend Membership Works!

-Mike

Thanks for the reply Mike. Can you please share the link to your website? Membership Works sure sounds interesting. I'd like to see how you use it from your site.

Thanks,

Jeff

#7 Bestred1

Bestred1

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 10 September 2021 - 10:05 AM

Thanks for the reply! Can you please share the link to your webpage?

Also, is this the application that you're referring to?

https://www.stormdan...re overview.htm

Edited by Bestred1, 10 September 2021 - 10:07 AM.

#8 gwfbmd

gwfbmd

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 14 September 2021 - 05:20 AM

That is the program I am referring to.  I would say it is not Quite as easy as they make it out to be - the program is surprisingly powerful, and so there are many little features hidden in there.  To get a truly professional looking site, you will need to learn a little bit if you've not done this before.  But, I don't know anything else that will let you do all you can with this program which is so easy, or affordable.  I have been using it since 2007, mostly to make sites for small businesses and some alumni associations.

#9 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Voyager 1

Posted 14 September 2021 - 08:54 AM

Can Antenna work with existing (older, HTML) websites?

That is, can I use it to edit/change/amend my existing website?

Alex

#10 gwfbmd

gwfbmd

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 15 September 2021 - 04:58 PM

Can Antenna work with existing (older, HTML) websites?

That is, can I use it to edit/change/amend my existing website?

Alex

I don't think it has that feature.  You can enter raw HTML into pages, so maybe you could work with it.  The Antenna projects, before they are compiled and uploaded to a server, are saved as proprietary files.  This is usually good, because it makes it easy to back up the whole site.  It can be bad if the media gets large.

#11 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Voyager 1

Posted 15 September 2021 - 05:16 PM

Thanks, I'll look into it. But what I really need is a replacement for if and when my old laptop dies----the only one that still can run Dreamweaver!

Alex

• gwfbmd likes this

#12 Chris K

Chris K

Viking 1

• Loc: Long Island, Earth

Posted 14 January 2022 - 11:04 PM

I just upgraded our club from HTML to a WordPress site.

Looking into Membership Works now! Thanks!

Edited by Chris K, 14 January 2022 - 11:04 PM.

#13 alancraig

alancraig

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Roswell, GA & Bradenton, FL, USA

Posted Yesterday, 12:03 AM

I'm interested in the Antenna thing. Can it edit an existing HTML website?

I have used Dreamweaver for  years. Of course, I am not recommending it because I do not believe you can purchase it any more. It died some years ago. I live in fear that my old  laptop will die. It is the only device that has my Dreamweaver on it. If it dies-----how will I edit my website? 

I am looking for a  replacement for it. 

Alex

I also used and loved Dreamweaver. Then I did some Wordpress.

Now I develop on a Mac and use Rapidweaver/Stacks/Foundry for drag and drop website development. Mac only though.

https://www.realmacs...om/rapidweaver/

https://yourhead.com/stacks/ 

https://foundry.elixirgraphics.com 
One of my websites: https://www.lsche.net 

Edited by alancraig, Yesterday, 12:04 AM.

#14 MawkHawk

MawkHawk

Viking 1

• Loc: SE Michigan, USA

Posted Yesterday, 01:24 PM

We use Wix (wix.com). It's free. It states that you'll have to tolerate ads but we've been on Wix for a coupe years and no ads. It's easy to use being simiar to Powerpoint. I'm not an HTML person but have not had the need to customize: https://spncastronom...onds-astro-club

Edited by MawkHawk, Yesterday, 01:25 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Clubs

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics