•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New 9.25 EdgeHD first time SCT owner question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin G

Kevin G

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 September 2021 - 08:36 PM

I'm having fits balancing this OTA on my SW EQ6-R Pro and hoping you can shed some light on it for me.

The OTA by itself is no problem, BUT, when I add on the stock finder scope, it's impossible to balance. I've moved the Edge front and back, over and over again and will not balance to all angles. It actually seems to be a sideways issue rather than front or back positioning, as it always wants to fall to the left side that the finder scope is on, no matter how far up or down on the saddle the scope is.

I've never had an issue with my ES 127 on this mount. What am I missing? Thanks for enlightening me!

PS, the issue is in DEC, not RA.

#2 Jeffmar

Jeffmar

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: salt lake city, utah

Posted 07 September 2021 - 08:46 PM

I can’t get my SCT’s to balance on declination because my finder scope is mounted off center. It will never perfectly balance unless I remove my finder scope or I find a way to put some kind of counter weight on the other side of the scope. That may be what you are experiencing. I would mount my finder scope on the center of my scopes if I didn’t have a guide scopes there. It usually doesn’t seem to be an issue for me. My off center guide scope doesn’t put much strain on the motors.

• Castor, ewave, Jethro7 and 1 other like this

#3 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Loc: Athens, Georgia, USA

Posted 07 September 2021 - 10:16 PM

Your mount does not require perfect balance.  If you have very smooth, high quality bearings, you will notice imbalance that has no actual effect on tracking.  (To keep from noticing the imbalance, get a mount with stiff bearings, such as an AVX.  I'm kidding of course, but you would not notice the imbalance!)

There was a rash of questions about balancing when iOptron mounts became popular because they have such easy-to-turn bearings that even a gram of imbalance is noticeable when you have the gears unlocked.  It doesn't affect tracking any more than a gram of imbalance would affect it on any other mount.

Several manufacturers recommend running the mount very slightly out of balance in order to take up backlash and get better tracking.

You only have 2 axes to balance on, and real telescopes always have a bit of weight that isn't on either of those axes.

• Castor and Kevin G like this

#4 06AwzIyI

06AwzIyI

Mariner 2

Posted 07 September 2021 - 11:24 PM

I had this issue with my 8" edgehd & guidescope. Once I added the electronic focuser it balanced out.

#5 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Gemini

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 08 September 2021 - 04:13 AM

I'm having fits balancing this OTA on my SW EQ6-R Pro and hoping you can shed some light on it for me.

The OTA by itself is no problem, BUT, when I add on the stock finder scope, it's impossible to balance. I've moved the Edge front and back, over and over again and will not balance to all angles. It actually seems to be a sideways issue rather than front or back positioning, as it always wants to fall to the left side that the finder scope is on, no matter how far up or down on the saddle the scope is.

I've never had an issue with my ES 127 on this mount. What am I missing? Thanks for enlightening me!

PS, the issue is in DEC, not RA.

Are you balancing with everything attached how you normally would have it on the telescope?  If so then you can add a slight amount of weight FORWARD bottom of the OTA to act as a counter balance.  

Are you using a dew shield?  If not, add the dew shield before balancing out. 

#6 Kevin G

Kevin G

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 September 2021 - 08:57 AM

Thanks for the responses so far. I will keep playing with it and see if I can get closer.
  • Castor likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics