•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ZWO Canon/Nikon Filter Drawers

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 stnagy

stnagy

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 08 September 2021 - 05:54 AM

Does anyone have an opinion on whether the ZWO EOS / F-mount filter drawer + M42 to C-mount adapter would add too much optical path for an image to come to focus when using a Mod 3?

https://optcorp.com/...er-for-eos-lens

I am thinking of grabbing a 85mm f1.8 Nikon or Canon lens but wanted to check this forum first.

#2 AllStarez

AllStarez

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 13 September 2021 - 08:22 AM

I couldn’t make work the TS filter drawer (thicker than the one you posted) with my previous Nikkor and Canon lenses

#3 AllStarez

AllStarez

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 13 September 2021 - 08:31 AM

something else to consider with the Ovni M device : the ON / OFF button is quite long and prevents from gaining some precious millimeters. For example, it cant be directly screwed to a filter wheel, you need a spacer so that the on/off button does not rub over the wheel

#4 stnagy

stnagy

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 September 2021 - 09:56 AM

something else to consider with the Ovni M device : the ON / OFF button is quite long and prevents from gaining some precious millimeters. For example, it cant be directly screwed to a filter wheel, you need a spacer so that the on/off button does not rub over the wheel

Thanks! I ended up going with your TS filter changer / M42 lens recommendation. Everything should arrive tomorrow. Hopefully it works :) 

#5 Joko

Joko

Vendor - OVNI

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: FRANCE, EUROPE

Posted 13 September 2021 - 10:32 AM

Thanks! I ended up going with your TS filter changer / M42 lens recommendation. Everything should arrive tomorrow. Hopefully it works smile.gif

The OVNI-M has a 1.25" and 2" adapter to attach filter to the front lens for handheld use.

To avoid vignetting when the aperture of the lens is too large (larger than 2" filter), there is a way to add filter between the OVNI-M and the lens.

So it is possible to use filter with any lens and there is no need to use the TS filter / changer M42.

It seems this solution also works with the Mod3c, this was discussed with CN members in an other topic.

One of my favourite lens is Cosmicar 75mm F/1.4. This lens is not made anymore but can be found 2nd hand on ebay at low price (less than $100USD)

Edited by Joko, 13 September 2021 - 10:39 AM.

#6 stnagy

stnagy

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 September 2021 - 10:37 AM

The OVNI-M has a 1.25" and 2" adapter to attach filter to the front lens for handheld use.

To avoid vignetting when the aperture of the lens is too large (larger than 2" filter), there is a way to add filter between the OVNI-M and the lens.

So it is possible to use filter with any lens and there is no need to use the TS filter / changer M42.

One of my favourite lens is Cosmicar 75mm F/1.4.

Hello again, Joko.

Are you talking about unmounting a 1.25" filter and putting it inside the adapter? Or is there another method you prefer? 

#7 Joko

Joko

Vendor - OVNI

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 13 September 2021 - 10:52 AM

Hello again, Joko.

Are you talking about unmounting a 1.25" filter and putting it inside the adapter? Or is there another method you prefer? 

Yes indeed. The best is to unmount a 1.25" filter and to use it between the lens and the housing (OVNI-M or MOD3c).

The MOD3c has battery cap and manul gain knob at the front. Also it seems the tube is well inside the housing.

3.jpg

With the TS filter changer the distance between the tube and lens is shorter on the OVNI-M (vs the MOD3c) and it is not possible to reach focus. 

So i hope i'm wrong but i fear you can't reach focus with the TS filter changer / M42. 

#8 Joko

Joko

Vendor - OVNI

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 13 September 2021 - 11:04 AM

And here are 2 pics showing the unmounted filter between the lens and the tube. Please note with this method the filter is pretty close to the tube but it doesn't touch it. So the distance between the lens and the intensifier tube is very close too. Which is great to reach focus with most lenses.

Of course this is only for handheld use with large lens, otherwise it is possible to thread filter to the housing or to use any filter wheel.

4.jpg

5.jpg

Edited by Joko, 14 September 2021 - 06:57 AM.

#9 stnagy

stnagy

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 September 2021 - 11:10 AM

Okay, I'll make an update thread when I know more. There is an option for returns so no harm if it doesn't work :)

#10 a__l

a__l

Gemini

• -----

Posted 18 September 2021 - 10:04 PM

Pictured above is an f/1.4 lens.
It remains only to find a filter corresponding to this f ratio.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics