•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

(Help?) - found Tasco 7te-5 (?) disassembled. Can beginner fix?

Beginner Classic DIY Equipment Refractor
  • Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#26 reverse_syzygy

reverse_syzygy

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Posted 11 September 2021 - 12:42 PM

From what I can tell the glass looks useable.

&

Yes, the objective is hazy but that should clean up nicely with some careful cleaning. Hopefully it is just on the front and back...

Objective's condition is well beyond what I'd hoped.

InkedP1230794 LI

It's missing that one screw.  Of the three pairs, each has a short-flush screw and tall-raised screw.

I'm guessing the shorts are the locking sets, and the tall (and missing) are collimation sets?

#27 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 11 September 2021 - 01:01 PM

&

Objective's condition is well beyond what I'd hoped.

It's missing that one screw.  Of the three pairs, each has a short-flush screw and tall-raised screw.

I'm guessing the shorts are the locking sets, and the tall (and missing) are collimation sets?

The longs are what hold the cell down. The shorts are the ones that establish the spacing at three points to change the plane of the cell with respect to the optical axis. A missing long screw is harder to deal with than a missing short, because changing the spacing of the other two points can lift the short screw away from the underlying ring. With missing short screw, you can put a thin spacer under the long one and tighten it down, then use the other two for collimation. 

Chip W. 

• Marc-Andre and reverse_syzygy like this

#28 reverse_syzygy

reverse_syzygy

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Posted 11 September 2021 - 01:37 PM

The longs are what hold the cell down. The shorts are the ones that establish the spacing at three points to change the plane of the cell with respect to the optical axis. A missing long screw is harder to deal with than a missing short, because changing the spacing of the other two points can lift the short screw away from the underlying ring. With missing short screw, you can put a thin spacer under the long one and tighten it down, then use the other two for collimation. 

Chip W. 

Great info!  I've not done any research on them, and the original manual just talks about the "squaring on" and if incorrect to "adjust the screws," but no details.   I've not yet gotten to look for Airy disk patterns, so I'm trying to touch as little as possible.

(and, IIRC, these screws are some Japanese special thread that hasn't been machined in 50 years or something. ?)

Thanks, Chip!  Much appreciated

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Beginner, Classic, DIY, Equipment, Refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics