•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Criterion Dynascope 6 1970’s telescope...want restored

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Mistystarr9

Mistystarr9

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Ohio

Posted 08 September 2021 - 05:23 PM

I recently inherited this classic Criterion Dynascope 6 1970’s Telescope that belonged to my late brother. It has been sitting in a basement for over 20 years. I know nothing about it other than “viewing” which I did many years ago. I do have the extra lenses also. I would love to have it restored but have no idea where to start! I am afraid to do anything myself as I don’t want to mess it up. Anyone have any ideas of where I could take this to have someone restore it? Are there places that do this? I live in central Ohio. Thank you to anyone that can offer advice. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 3BBA9BAD-FFE9-4E8C-B71F-A63C8158F814.jpeg

• rcwolpert, Bomber Bob, oldmanastro and 3 others like this

#2 B 26354

B 26354

Vanguard

• Loc: Southern California semi-desert (NELM mag 5.3)

Posted 08 September 2021 - 05:39 PM

Do an online search for astronomy clubs in your area. They may have a member who'd be willing to give it a try.  grin.gif

• mdowns, Augustus, Defenderslideguitar and 1 other like this

#3 D_talley

D_talley

Skylab

• Loc: Albuquerque, New Mexico

Posted 08 September 2021 - 05:40 PM

Since this was your brothers, I would restore it yourself.  It is not that hard and there are numerous videos about restoring this scope.  It could be a winter project for you.  

Here is a series of photos of the parts that make up this scope:

http://www.company7....RV-6/index.html

There are a lot of people here who can assist with any question you may have. 

You need to take photos of everything so that you have a starting point that you can get back to after you restore the scope. 

• siriusandthepup, DreamWeaver, mdowns and 5 others like this

#4 1939Dodge

1939Dodge

Vostok 1

• Loc: Pa.

Posted 08 September 2021 - 06:38 PM

Personally, I would leave it as-is. It earned the patina. Just check the clutch disk and replace if necessary, and clean the mirrors and collimate. Maybe replace the power cord with a grounded one. Then enjoy it!

And it’s got the lunar lander feet! A plus!

Edited by 1939Dodge, 08 September 2021 - 06:39 PM.

• orion61, Defenderslideguitar, DouglasPaul and 1 other like this

#5 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Gemini

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 08 September 2021 - 07:00 PM

Plus one for just start to use it first   it may need cleaning   certainly collimation but   seems like it might be all there....love the feet as well

astronomy club is a good idea as well

• Mistystarr9 likes this

#6 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 08 September 2021 - 07:26 PM

I've cleaned the grime off of RV6 tubes using a bath cleaner that has bleach. It'd pretty quick and easy. The column can be touched up with hammer finish silver paint. As people here have noted, there is a lot of information online about restoring these. I'd suggest betting a piece of black car door protective edging to put around the back end of the tube.

Chip W. 

• Mistystarr9 likes this

#7 1939Dodge

1939Dodge

Vostok 1

Posted 08 September 2021 - 07:47 PM

The door edging works great, especially if there a few chips to cover over. And the RV6 optics are superb. Enjoy!

• Mistystarr9 likes this

#8 Mistystarr9

Mistystarr9

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 September 2021 - 08:03 PM

Thanks everyone for all of the helpful advice!

#9 shredder1656

shredder1656

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 08 September 2021 - 08:09 PM

I agree with all of the above. Where are you located, because it's possible that someone on this forum is close by to assist you, or might know of a nearby club that could help. Just my two cents.

They're nice scopes and worth learning to use. Even more importantly, it was a loved one's scope. :) 👍
  • Mistystarr9 likes this

#10 orion61

orion61

Vendor - Clear Edge Optical

• Vendors
  • Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 09 September 2021 - 04:06 AM

The thing that no one mentioned here actually 2 of them, As you know your Brother much more than any of us can even comprehend is; What do you think HE would want you to do? Personally, When my scopes get dispatched to the members of my family, I'd like them to remember, Every scratch, rub mark, ding etc, Is not a Blemish, OR damage. It is a MEMORY, I would in no way touch my loving and precious things my big Brother left for me. The Mirrors will need recoated. That is a fact beyond doubt. That is not altering the scope in any way. Think of it as an oil change on a car he would have left you.
  If you restore it, you would erase any and all traces of the love he put into it in his usage. Polish what you can. Only you can make the decision to change it. If you want a new 6" Newtonian they are cheap. Every time I hold or touch my items, my memories of my Brother
flood through, and I thank god for the Colt Pistol, I thought about a restore. 1/2 way to the gunsmith I thought of the very same things I have stated. His Grandson has it now. He has decided to keep it as is.
Bless you,
Duane

• Gil V and Mistystarr9 like this

#11 1939Dodge

1939Dodge

Vostok 1

Posted 09 September 2021 - 07:03 AM

I have a half dozen RV6s and again as many 4-6” reflectors of that vintage. The mirrors aren’t perfect, but they are VERY good and don’t NEED a recoat. Use it as-is for a while and then decide if a recoat is necessary. Strike while the iron is hot! There’s plenty of summer left, go out and enjoy it!

• mdowns and Mistystarr9 like this

#12 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 09 September 2021 - 07:23 AM

I'm in Colorado which is high and dry. I've seen mirrors over 50 years old that are still beautiful. Ohio environment will be harder on mirror coatings but they could still be in good useable condition. The biggest thing is that the protective clear overcoating can be degraded. This makes cleaning much more sensitive, cleaning can become an art to do it right without a good overcoat. You best DON'T CLEAN THE OPTICS, leave that till some experience looks at it. 

Consider a refurbish to start instead of a complete restoration as Orion61 mentioned in post #10.  A refurbish gets everyting working right - the heart of the matter. Cosmetics are time consuming when it comes to paint, restoring tube defects, cleaning Everything, nuts and bolt replacement, all for looks. If something it outright totally butt ugly, then it can be touched up during the refurbish. An American Restoration can be done later if you decide to go that route. The refurbish will make a restoration more focused and much easier.

Edited by apfever, 09 September 2021 - 07:25 AM.

• Mr Magoo, PawPaw and Mistystarr9 like this

#13 Mistystarr9

Mistystarr9

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 September 2021 - 08:15 AM

Agree, Orion61... I only care to get it cleaned up and in working order. I will leave outside appearance as it is.  I am just a novice at this and have no idea where to start. Yes, apfever, will do the refurbish. Thanks everyone! 

• mdowns, Bomber Bob and B 26354 like this

#14 1939Dodge

1939Dodge

Vostok 1

Posted 09 September 2021 - 09:11 AM

Get a subscription to Sky and Telescope and start searching the sky. That, and the RV6 is all you need…..

• Mistystarr9 likes this

#15 oldmanastro

oldmanastro

Viking 1

• Loc: San Juan, Puerto Rico-US

Posted 09 September 2021 - 10:29 PM

The telescope looks fine. Just clean it up a bit on the outside and start enjoying it as is. Later on, when you gain more experience, you can do some more work on the scope. In the meantime, download an app like Stellarium. It will show you where things are in the sky on your cell phone. Ask questions on using the scope on this forum. I am sure that everyone will pitch in to help. The RV6 is a real nice telescope. I have owned mine for 30+ years. 

• Mistystarr9 likes this

#16 orion61

orion61

Vendor - Clear Edge Optical

• Vendors
  • Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 10 September 2021 - 05:14 AM

Those that don't know the difference between refurbishing and restoring is the 80-20 rule. On a refurb, you can do 80% of the work for 20% of the cost.

A restoration costs 80% to finish rebuild or replace the remaining 20% of the items with new. as in nothing is left stock, every screw/motor/ Paint, fiberglass, to make it brand new.

I am very happy that you are doing a deep clean, if you wonder about the coatings on the mirrors, have a helper shine a bright light from the back surface of the main mirror. if light shines through at spots, It is time to STRIP and recoat the mirror.. But if one is bad, the other is close behind.
Personally my goal when working on a scope is, "Do no Harm!
  It is doubtful commercial scopes will be collector items. But who knows? some could. I have a Meade LX200 that was walked back in to Meade and they picked the top 10 F6.3 8" tubes then had the best one sent back for further 

refinement. Jaw dropping.....
  Sorry glad you arent going to put a grinder to them. I still have my very first decent scope. An RV-6 in need of coatings, works fine just never use it but havent had the heart to sell. 
Between low value and the fact UPS FED-EX over doubled shipping costs in the 90's because of crude oil.. funny tho, Oil went down, but Amazon and Walmart gets near 0$$ shipping and WE pick up the bill, sad because I have  a C11 and CGEM that I don't use but would cost would cost over $200.00 to ship!!!!!!

• Mistystarr9 likes this

#17 Mistystarr9

Mistystarr9

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 September 2021 - 08:12 AM

Thanks oldmanastro and orion61....... yes, I am new at this and I really just want my telescope to work! I don’t care about making it look beautiful or changing anything. I will research more and just try to clean it up and use it. Thanks much for all of your help and advice. 

• mdowns and TSSClay like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics