•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Older C8 OTA input - Strabright vs Special Coatings ?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 vkhastro1

vkhastro1

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Vankleek Hill, Ontario, Canada

Posted 09 September 2021 - 11:37 AM

I have (unfortunately) over time acquired several Celestron C8 fork mounts of various types.

Also various Celestron C8 wedges and tripods.

A Tuthill polar alignment scope, digital encoders, etc also not being utilized.

All are siting in my basements not being used.

I already own a great optically orange Celestron C8 SE (Strabright XLT) OTA that I use alt-az mounted.

Unfortunately the current hole pattern of this specific OTA will not fit any of the fore-mentioned C8 fork mounts.

I may look for a black C8 OTA with “starbright” or a black or orange OTA with “special coatings” to mount into one of these fork mounts. I believe the “Starbright” coatings has higher light transmission than the “special coatings” version. Any guidance on this point?

You may ask - Why would I want another C8?

My first “real” telescope was a 1981 orange C8 that I used for almost 8 years (many fond memories).

Also I prefer equatorial mounted fork mounts to German style mounts.

Let me know your thoughts on this (I have a large arsenal of other scopes so this will not be a primary scope).

• Benschop likes this

#2 barbarosa

barbarosa

Gemini

• Loc: 139 miles W of the Awahnee Hotel

Posted 09 September 2021 - 11:56 AM

https://www.celestro...ptical-coatings

https://www.cloudyni...s/#entry9008879

Upon reflection this is a good, better, best situation but how do you balance that against the other optical qualities? I do think though that there are few, if any, threads from owners saying that they perceived the improvement in transmission when they changed to a scope with a newer generation of coatings.

• Castor and GazingOli like this

#3 Old Speckled Hen

Old Speckled Hen

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: 56.4451° N, 3.1670° W

Posted 09 September 2021 - 02:04 PM

This site has a GREAT deal of archive information on this very subject.

• Castor likes this

#4 Phil Barker

Phil Barker

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: hokitika New Zealand

Posted 11 September 2021 - 05:29 PM

Interesting.  I found the meade emc coatings were better than standard starbright.  I owned 2 excellent scts both f10 one emc the other starbright.   Meade was noticeably better darker background and better colours etc.

I now own a uhtc version don't see it beng any better than the emc which clearly are not the standard coatings.

Re special costings the old club had a superb c11 with special coatings from around 1982 vintage and orange.  I had a starbright coated   C11 around 2000 with reasonable optics.

The special coatings were clearly anti reflection coatings on the corrector.  It was slightly dimmer than the starbright  version but had better  optics.  The detail on jupiter in this scope was incredable via the excellent correction.   

At the time the club had a mediocre 12 inch meade and they wanted to put that in its own observatory  I made a strong  point to the powers that be that the Celestron was far more worthy given its optics not sure it it happenned as I moved over to Hokitika around this time.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics