•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Need for IR/UV cut window on ZWO asi174mm camera

Filters Imaging Solar
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MVoltae

MVoltae

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Verona, Wisconsin, USA

Posted 11 September 2021 - 12:02 PM

My question relates to the advisability of removing the IR/UV cut protective window from my ZWO AIS174mm camera.  To bring my ZWO asi174mm to focus with my PST Coronado 40mm solar telescope, I had to remove the camera’s IR/UV cut protective window in order to fit a short nosepiece with a 2X Barlow on the end.  This solution will be familiar with many of you reading this post.  I was never satisfied with the result and eventually sold the PST.  I now have a Quark chromosphere and will also pair it with the ZWO asi174mm.  My question is whether to reinstall the camera IR/UV protective window or rather to leave it off.  Since my Quark setup includes a Baader UV/IR filter mounted on the front of my diagonal, I see no need for a second such filter mounted in my camera. I realize that the camera’s filter might help keep dust off the sensor, but, in fact, the filter is a dust trap itself and difficult to keep clean.  The little bit of dust that I see on the sensor can be cleaned to a minimum and any remaining motes can be dealt by taking a FLAT. Would appreciate any comments and advice.

#2 briansalomon1

briansalomon1

Viking 1

• Loc: Oxnard CA

Posted 11 September 2021 - 04:27 PM

You don't need redundant UV/IR cut filters.

• MalVeauX likes this

#3 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Cosmos

• Loc: Florida

Posted 11 September 2021 - 05:14 PM

Hi,

Like Brian pointed out, it's not needed. You already have a UV/IR block filter in the imaging train. And the blocking filter of your Quark blocks all that two. So this would be the third UV/IR block in your imaging train, if you re-installed the plate on your IMX174.

You're good to go. waytogo.gif

Very best,

#4 MVoltae

MVoltae

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Verona, Wisconsin, USA

Posted 11 September 2021 - 05:36 PM

Thanks, everyone.  

• MalVeauX likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Filters, Imaging, Solar

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics