•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Edge HD 8, 0.7x reducer, OAG and dSLR?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 eebclee

eebclee

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: SFBay Area

Posted 11 September 2021 - 06:01 PM

Is it possible?  With the standard Celestron parts, the distance from the reducer to the Canon T adapter is about 50mm.  The Celestron OAG plus OAG to EdgeHD 8 adapter takes up about 55mm.  Will I be able to focus both guide and dSLR cameras with a shorter T adapter?  That seems iffy.  Is there a shorter adapter I can get to connect the Celestron OAG to the reducer?  That takes up about 25mm. 

9D519728-5F00-45FB-B9D8-2AB338C35182.jpeg

#2 blazek

blazek

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Croatia

Posted 11 September 2021 - 06:45 PM

I am afraid that there is no enough backfocus for your combination. I think that even Celestron specifies that reducer for EdgeHD +CelestronOAG +DDLSR is  not possible. Maybe somehow if you get some non-standard "zero length"  DLSR

to T2 adapter... . I think that someone mentioned that Precise parts do make such adapters.

With standardly available parts you have following choices

Reducer -DLSR

OAG-DLSR

However, in few discussions here people claimed that real  backfocus distance of their  0.7 reducers  was  much longer than specified.. If that is the case, with yours, that might solve your problem . Put your camera as close as you can to your OAG and give it a try.  

Maybe you could get focus and round stars across the whole FOV... (no much hope though).

• eebclee likes this

#3 eebclee

eebclee

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: SFBay Area

Posted 11 September 2021 - 08:05 PM

Thanks!  It looks like Precision Parts could make an almost zero length reducer to OAG adapter which would give me ~20mm to work with on the camera side.  That’s not terribly different from the standard OAG camera side adapter.  I may have to try that.

#4 Seb@sTro

Seb@sTro

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Shannon, QC, Canada

Posted 19 October 2021 - 08:07 PM

You might want to take a look at this thread: https://www.cloudyni...-adapter/page-3

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics