•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Control Your Mount with Sky Safari in Windows Using AlpacaScope

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 EmeraldHills

EmeraldHills

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Louisville, Kentucky

Posted 13 September 2021 - 07:05 AM

Here's a first pass at a "how-to" video. Deep gratitude to Cey. He dug deep into AlpacaScope and helped me figure this out.

https://youtu.be/ob-QNnaOlYs

Deep gratitude to SynFinatic for making this whole Alpacascope thing possible!

• roelb, synfinatic and Ambart3561 like this

#2 Bob Denny

Bob Denny

Vendor (DC-3 Dreams)

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Mesa AZ USA

Posted 13 September 2021 - 09:37 AM

Yes thank you @synfinatic! And also a shout-out to the volunteers, mainly Peter Simpson and Daniel Van Noord, of the ASCOM Initiative. Their vision, skill, and hard work have made the Alpaca idea come to fruition as a standard. FYI my role is sort of like a steam locomotive fireman, I stoke the fire and keep the steam pressure up. The other guys drive the train and keep her running.

If you want to learn more about all of this have a look at the About Alpaca and ASCOM chapter of the ASCOM web site.

Edited by Bob Denny, 13 September 2021 - 09:39 AM.

• EmeraldHills likes this

#3 Cey42

Cey42

Vostok 1

• Loc: Kirkland, WA

Posted 14 September 2021 - 02:30 PM

Would like to hear feedback after your first imaging session using AlpacaScope. I am curious to know if you run into any new issues or if just works now.

• EmeraldHills and Ambart3561 like this

#4 EmeraldHills

EmeraldHills

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 14 September 2021 - 05:04 PM

Thanks Cey. I'm looking forward to it. Unfortunately, I'm on the road until Monday - so it will likely be Monday and beyond. Can't wait though. It'll also be my first night with a new scope and mount, too. : ) Fun stuff.

Would like to hear feedback after your first imaging session using AlpacaScope. I am curious to know if you run into any new issues or if just works now.

• Ambart3561 likes this

#5 synfinatic

synfinatic

Viking 1

• Loc: San Jose, CA

Posted 15 September 2021 - 02:51 AM

Great video Doug!  Looks like you're making real progress!

#6 EmeraldHills

EmeraldHills

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 15 September 2021 - 06:18 AM

We are all so grateful for your work, SynFinatic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the encouragement. I'll have to admit - figuring out that IP address issue had left me in the dust. : ) So glad it's working now. 

• Ambart3561 likes this

#7 synfinatic

synfinatic

Viking 1

• Loc: San Jose, CA

Posted 16 September 2021 - 03:46 AM

So just a FYI:

The explanation of the IP address you give is inaccurate.  You can't use the output of AlpacaScope to know which Server IP address to use in ASCOM Remote.  You've put the cart before the horse so to speak.

By default, AlpacaScope will try to auto-discover ASCOM Remote (that's the check box next to "Auto Discover ASCOM Remote).  Per the docs "localhost" or "+" should be selected in ASCOM Remote.  Then AlpacaScope will find it.  But if AlpacaScope can't find it, then you won't see the IP address in the AlpacaScope output because it couldn't figure it out.

#8 EmeraldHills

EmeraldHills

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 16 September 2021 - 07:29 PM

I'm sure you're right, Sinfinatic. After all, it's your creation. So it must have been a coincidence that Cey told me to look in my error messages for the IP address -- and I did -- and when I put that IP address into ASCOM remote, it worked. Must have just been a coincidence in this case.

• synfinatic likes this

#9 Ambart3561

Ambart3561

Lift Off

• Loc: Idaho

Posted 18 September 2021 - 04:15 PM

Here's a first pass at a "how-to" video. Deep gratitude to Cey. He dug deep into AlpacaScope and helped me figure this out.

https://youtu.be/ob-QNnaOlYs

Deep gratitude to SynFinatic for making this whole Alpacascope thing possible!

I only recently became aware of AlpacaScope. Once again Doug, I seem to be following your path as I struggle to cobble together an EAA system. I have working WiFi Scope<>Computer(s) communications but it has weak links that sometimes fail for no apparent reason. Today, I was trying to fix one glitch and ran across this post. I will definitely be looking into this and will take a break to watch your video, now. Thanks!

#10 roelb

roelb

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Belgium, Antwerp

Posted Yesterday, 05:23 PM

Installed as per your instructive video and all worked fine.

Interesting that I now can use SkySafari 6 Pro along other software talking to the mount.

Up to now, I used Stellarium as my primary planetarium program and with SkySafari more obscure objects may be found.

Note: re. the IP address: I also had to note it from within AlpacaScope and to input it into the server configuration tab.

(for me it was a "obscure" address: 192.168.63.4)

Thanks for this thread.

• EmeraldHills and synfinatic like this

#11 EmeraldHills

EmeraldHills

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 07:57 PM

Roelb, I'm soooooooooooooo glad it's working for you too. Hats off to synfinatic for making it -- and Cey for helping us figure it out!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics