•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Missing my orange C11

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Augustus

Augustus

Vendor

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Stamford, Connecticut

Posted 13 September 2021 - 08:37 AM

The other day I was fortunate enough to attend Bob Piekel's talk on telescope resolution at Astrofest and I was reminded of the sole scope I've ever seen the Encke division through, an orange C11. I got it from a fellow on AstroMart with a broken corrector plate and then got a new corrector from Johann. Despite the common prevailing wisdom that SCTs are not really interchangeable due to the hand-figured secondaries particularly on older ones I managed to obtain a corrector and stuck it in the scope.

c11corrector.jpg

installeds.jpg

It never worked too well on my CGEM and I sold it thinking a 10" Newtonian on there would be a better observing experience (boy was I wrong) but it delighted me on the planets and globulars. 

orangec11atwards.jpg

One of these days I will pick up another or finally get an orange C14. They are far from the most practical big scopes but it is certainly a fun observing experience.

• highfnum, brian dewelles, mdowns and 5 others like this

#2 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 13 September 2021 - 10:01 AM

I miss my orange C14 too.

I felt like a professional astronomer when I observed with it.

The big cats are marvelous, so much power.

Robert 

• mdowns, ShaulaB, kansas skies and 3 others like this

#3 Dartguy

Dartguy

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Louisville

Posted 13 September 2021 - 03:41 PM

I'd gladly trade 2 orange C8s and throw in a C5 photo for an orange C14......anyone?smile.gif

• kansas skies likes this

#4 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Soyuz

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 13 September 2021 - 07:01 PM

Never got to look through a  C 11  or a C 14.....But there is time    we will get a peek someday

Z.....that C-11 was challenged  but you brought it back to life nicely

I have had 2  C-8's   long gone now  but     If I ever got another sct  it might be the 9.25 some have had good results with

Funny how Ed Ting just put out   his   if you could only have one scope video yesterday and the C-9.25 was there

in his  top  three

B

Ed Ting

https://www.youtube....h?v=SpVwN21X2QA

Edited by Defenderslideguitar, 13 September 2021 - 07:09 PM.

• kansas skies and Augustus like this

#5 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 13 September 2021 - 07:34 PM

I think it's a wife's tale about the corrector BS. I also had a friend that broke his and swapped it out and it was as good as it was before

• Augustus likes this

#6 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

Posted 13 September 2021 - 07:36 PM

I'd gladly trade 2 orange C8s and throw in a C5 photo for an orange C14......anyone?smile.gif

Bette check twice. I had a dud of a C14 made in the 70's. My friend also had a mint looking 1982 C11 that looked like it was never used in the later 90's and it was total mush. We took it apart and did every trick we could and no luck.  Just kills me that one SCT can be super sharp and the next a dud.

#7 kansas skies

kansas skies

Surveyor 1

• Loc: The middle of nowhere, USA

Posted 13 September 2021 - 08:16 PM

I've had the opportunity in the past to look through a couple of C11's and at least one 10" Meade SCT. Being a big fan of Celestron's 8" SCT's, I was pretty much in awe of these bigger scopes. This is what started the search that ended with my purchase of a 12" Meade OTA. At the time, I was looking for a bigger OTA for use with my Vixen Saturn mount. In hindsight, a C11 would probably have been just as nice and less of a chore to setup, but the Meade is spectacular when conditions permit. I have seen the Encke Gap with this scope on at least two occasions, but I've also spotted it with my C8 on a couple of occasions as well. On one of these occasions, I had both scopes setup side-by-side and was able to verify that what I was seeing in the C8 was actually the Encke Gap after viewing it as well with the Meade. As I recall, the gap was fleeting and rather difficult to spot when viewed through the C8, while being very steady and finely etched as seen in the Meade. Of course, this required nights where close to 600x was possible, and while that's pushing the limits of the C8 pretty hard, that's just coasting with the 12" Meade.

I can only imagine what a C14 might be capable of. At this point, the 14" SCT is outside my budget, both monetarily and physically. Still, I have the satisfaction of owning a 12" Meade SCT. I will admit that I have thought on a few occasions of parting with this beast since I don't get it out that often. Still, it's not eating anything and is available whenever I have the time and ambition to get it out under the stars. I would dearly love a permanent mount, but that's pretty much an impossibility in my current location.

All that being said, I think the biggest reason I still own the scope is so I don't have those moments of regret that come from parting with something I should have never let go. Just this weekend, I had the Meade out to take a look at Jupiter and Saturn. Although the seeing was very good, the smoke and haze limited my magnification to about 300x. Still, I felt compelled to call my wife and granddaughter out to take a look as well. I could pretty much hear their jaws hitting the ground when viewing Saturn. They both finally decided that the image reminded them of the glow in the dark stickers my granddaughter has pasted on her wall - very beautiful, but rather surreal. And, I have to admit that even though I've seen Saturn at least a zillion times, I got goosebumps as well.

Bill

• davidmcgo, clamchip, mdowns and 2 others like this

#8 highfnum

highfnum

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NE USA

Posted 14 September 2021 - 04:39 AM

i looked thru that scope 

I was amazed that new corrector plate worked so well

sheesh I would have bought it

• Augustus likes this

#9 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hockessin, De

Posted 14 September 2021 - 09:48 AM

I think it's a wife's tale about the corrector BS. I also had a friend that broke his and swapped it out and it was as good as it was before

Then explain why Celestron was hand figuring the secondaries to bring the three optical elements to meet their specs and also why Meade would swap secondaries in and out on the test stand until they  found one that would cause the mirror and corrector to also meet their specs if the corrector were so interchangeable ?  People that have never made optical surface don't understand the variability that optical elements have   The figure on the corrector is just like the tolerance on analog electronic components. You can replace parts in a circuit  and it will most likely work but to get the best performance you need to further tune that circuit. Same goes with optics. 

You can swap  the correctors in and out and you will not get an image that is not a fuzzy mess but without someone showing test data from  a bench test it is just ones opinion that the image is "good".

- Dave 

• Augustus and Ben Bajorek like this

#10 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

Posted 14 September 2021 - 06:10 PM

Then explain why Celestron was hand figuring the secondaries to bring the three optical elements to meet their specs and also why Meade would swap secondaries in and out on the test stand until they  found one that would cause the mirror and corrector to also meet their specs if the corrector were so interchangeable ?  People that have never made optical surface don't understand the variability that optical elements have   The figure on the corrector is just like the tolerance on analog electronic components. You can replace parts in a circuit  and it will most likely work but to get the best performance you need to further tune that circuit. Same goes with optics. 

You can swap  the correctors in and out and you will not get an image that is not a fuzzy mess but without someone showing test data from  a bench test it is just ones opinion that the image is "good".

- Dave 

Beats me. I have seen a few SCT's with all kinds of swapped optics and never did notice much of a change. Most don't give that great a view as it is or least all the SCT's i have looked thru, but just a very few are what i would call very good.

• Ben Bajorek likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics