•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Which is better for Auto Focus, ZWO EAF-5volt or Celestron Focus Motor?

Celestron
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 reifheck

reifheck

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Denver, Colorado

Posted 13 September 2021 - 02:59 PM

Me again guys!

I just ordered the ZWO EAF-5volt Auto Focuser. I also have the Celestron Focus Motor. Is the ZWO EAF-5volt better for auto focus than the Celestron Focus Motor?

The Celestron Focus Motor connects to the mount directly while the ZWO EAF is connected to the laptop.

Is the ZWO better for planetary imaging than the Celestron?

I ordered the bracket and coupler for my Celestron NexStar Evolution 9.25" SCT. They didn't have the hand controller or temp sensor.

Thank you all,

Reif

#2 Astrosid

Astrosid

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 13 September 2021 - 05:58 PM

Now using ZWO EAF on Edge 11 HD.  Works great!  Compared autofocus point to Bahtinov mask and very, very close.   Struggled with backlash initially.   EAF is economical solution, but backlash is a little sloppy.  Once I had proper backlash compensation it worked great.   Scope runs all night and focus is excellent.   Easy to connect to Edge focuser and takes up very little room.  I have the hand focuser but rarely use it.  Any manual focus is done thru APT or NINA.   Don't use temperature compensation. I autofocus every 30 minutes or if HFR varies by 10%.   I'll fine tune that as I get more experience with autofocus.   

Haven't used Celestron focuser.  Can't comment on it's performance.  

#3 reifheck

reifheck

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Denver, Colorado

Posted 13 September 2021 - 08:12 PM

Now using ZWO EAF on Edge 11 HD.  Works great!  Compared autofocus point to Bahtinov mask and very, very close.   Struggled with backlash initially.   EAF is economical solution, but backlash is a little sloppy.  Once I had proper backlash compensation it worked great.   Scope runs all night and focus is excellent.   Easy to connect to Edge focuser and takes up very little room.  I have the hand focuser but rarely use it.  Any manual focus is done thru APT or NINA.   Don't use temperature compensation. I autofocus every 30 minutes or if HFR varies by 10%.   I'll fine tune that as I get more experience with autofocus.   

Haven't used Celestron focuser.  Can't comment on it's performance.  

Thank you Astrosid!

What software are you using to close the loop for auto focusing, taking images, and processing?

Do you use auto focus for planetary imaging as well as DSO?

Thanks again!

Edited by reifheck, 13 September 2021 - 08:16 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Celestron

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics