•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade LS8 not initiating

Meade
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 miguelcoto

miguelcoto

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 September 2021 - 04:52 PM

Hello, My LS8 seems like went past the home/park point when I last shut it down and got stuck with the handset, I managed to free up the handset by taking the optical tube cover off, and that gave enough room to remove the handset. Still, when I turn on the power switch, the red LED blinks about 10 times and nothing happens, not even a bip.

I have tried putting in the SD card as if I wanted to update the firmware, same problem.

Photos and video, here.

https://photos.app.g...LBQWzEAVEpRERh9

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Miguel.

#2 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 13 September 2021 - 05:08 PM

Gday Miguel

If you fit the recovery SD card and flip the switch, it either works or it doesnt.

If the light in the switch blinks immediately, it indicates the mount cannot read the card.

I had this recently with some very old SD cards that used to work

and i fixed it by cleaning the contacts on the card with some deoxit.

(That said, my mount was already working normally, i was just testing for updates )

Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia

#3 MikeBY

MikeBY

Mariner 2

• Loc: Huntington Beach, CA

Posted 17 September 2021 - 11:16 AM

Watching the video, it appears that the scope is trying to read the SD card and cannot. 
It blinks... then goes solid red and then starts blinking again through a couple of cycles.

Be sure the card is properly locked in place, and perhaps clean contacts as Andrew suggested.
Double that if the card is a microSD in a Micro to MiniSD adapter.

There are several threads here on CN on downloading and building a boot/firmware SD card. Not simple in the world of Win10 and Win11.
Basically you need to be running an old WinXP OS to format the card correctly so perhaps a virtual machine or (as I have) and old laptop left around

for these purposes. 

Given the amount of reloads that appear to be needed, I'm wondering if there is a coin cell on a board internally that

that's at the root of a lot of these issues?  There's little info out there, unlike the LX200 based systems.
I guess it's time to dust off my LS8 and test it out, but it's not likely to happen soon. Too many other things on my list right now.

G'day Andrew ;)

Michael

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Meade

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics