•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Software still exist to control a LX200 Classic?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Applemaz

Applemaz

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 September 2021 - 09:53 PM

Does software still exist that can control a LX200 Classic via a RS232 to USB cable for a Windows 10 or MacOS laptop?  I'm guessing the newest versions of these software packages (such as Starry Night) dropped compatibility with older telescopes.

#2 michael8554

michael8554

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Wiltshire UK

Posted 14 September 2021 - 08:30 AM

AKAIK the current Meade LX200GPS etc mounts have essentially the same firmware as the LX200 Classic.

Load the ASCOM platform and this latest ASCOM driver:

"Meade Autostar/Audiostar Project (October 2019) <- TRY THIS FIRST"

From here:

https://ascom-standa...copeDrivers.htm

Works with LX Classic and GPS and ETX mounts.

#3 rferrante

rferrante

Clearline Technology Corp.

• Vendors
  • Loc: Orange County, California

Posted 14 September 2021 - 09:41 AM

>>I'm guessing the newest versions of these software packages (such as Starry Night) dropped compatibility with older telescopes.

Nope, the Classic is still well supported.

#4 dcaponeii

dcaponeii

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Waxahachie, TX

Posted 14 September 2021 - 09:50 AM

You can also use Andrew's MyScopeStuff which has a great software handbox controller that I've been using for months now.  His user name is OzAndrewJ

Edited by dcaponeii, 14 September 2021 - 09:52 AM.

#5 Christopher Erickson

Christopher Erickson

Skylab

• Loc: Waikoloa Village, Hawaii

Posted 18 September 2021 - 02:20 AM

The Classic LX200 serial command set was made open-source by Meade so a lot of different mount makers actually support it (or at least a subset of it) as an alternate or subset of commands in their mounts. The Vixen SkySensor-2000 PC and the Rainbow Astro mounts both offer LX200 Classic command set support. And even Astro-Physics supports some of the basic Classic LX200 commands natively in their mounts, along with all of their advanced AP commands. And I believe that just about all Meade GOTO mounts, both new and old, support all of the main Classic LX200 commands.

I hope that helps.

• rferrante and dcaponeii like this

#6 optinuke

optinuke

Vostok 1

• Loc: Western Kentucky

Posted 30 September 2021 - 10:06 PM

I use Cartes du Ciel (CDC) with a USB to RS232 cable to control both a very early 10" LX200 classic and a somewhat newer, but still classic, 16" LX200. It works for XP, Windows 7, and Windows 10 but if I remember right (it has been a few years) it took some searching and trial-and-error to get the correct Windows 10 driver for the cable.  In CDC I had better luck with the Meade LX driver than the ASCOM one.

CDC is free and the names for deep-sky objects are pretty much the same as used by the SAC spreadsheets, making creation of observing lists relatively easy.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics