•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ZWO ASIair Pro Goto problem

Software Mount Astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 AstroNL

AstroNL

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: St. John's, Canada

Posted 14 September 2021 - 07:19 AM

I am using a 2021 GEM45G mount controlled with the ASIair Pro. While initially this mount wasn't supported by the ASIair Pro, there was a workaround available in that one would select the CEM120 mount which used a similar driver as the GEM45. After having figured this out, I could use the Goto of the ASIair Pro to slew to my targets. As of the latest update of the ASIair Pro (1.7), the GEM45 is officially supported and I had used it successfully several times, meaning Goto has worked without an issue.

A week or so ago the problems started though. For some reason, the Goto doesn't lock in the correct RA of the object I am trying to photography. It finds the DEC without issue however always wants to increase the RA no matter what, meaning the Goto does only move the mount clockwise. It actually just wants to rotate fully around the RA axis, and would crash into the mount unless I stop it. It doesn't matter how close to the target I am, the Goto would control the mount to pass through the object and slews away from it again. Switching back to the CEM120 mount instead also gives me the same problem.  

I checked and my local coordinates are correct, time is set correctly (as is DST), GPS of the mount is working, it knows I am in the Northern Hemisphere but still there seems to be something off with the internal setting of the ASIAir Pro. Even as the Goto was working last time, it would incorrectly identify some objects as being below the horizon, although they were clearly visible. It would not go to Jupiter (saying it was under the horizon), but would move correctly to Saturn (which at the moment is close to Jupiter). This drives me a bit nuts, as the problem I am having seems inconsistent. Some objects the Goto would work for, others don't, and now it doesn't want to stop at the correct RA while still finding the correct DEC without any issues.

Any suggestions on what to try from your collective wisdom would be much appreciated!

#2 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 14 September 2021 - 07:34 AM

Moving from EAA to Mounts for a better fit.

#3 Applal

Applal

Viking 1

• Loc: Larsen, WI

Posted 14 September 2021 - 09:25 AM

Is it possible you are connecting to the mount via the hand controller, or have the hand controller connected?

If so, eliminate that.

Is it possible you are using an USB3 port on the AIR to connect to the mount?

Use instead one of the USB2 ports.

If connecting through a usb hub, ensure the hub is connected to USB2 on the AIR.

Try a different usb cable.

• AstroNL likes this

#4 AstroNL

AstroNL

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 September 2021 - 11:40 AM

Yes, how to connect the mount to the ASIAir is critical. I use the USB2 port on the back of my ASI294MC Pro to connect the mount. This is because there is an issue with the IOptron internal USB cables that only allow connection through an unpowered USB hub. That was the workaround needed to make the mount work before the firmware update in the first place, and I haven't changed that since. Trying to connect the mount directly to the ASIair still throws an error so I have to go through the USB hub on the back of the camera.

Still, it doesn't answer why the ASIAir is oblivious to it's current RA position, and why it wants to circle around the mount. I suspect there is a mismatch between the internal time representation of the ASIAir and the mount, but would not know how to benchmark this.

#5 Dwight J

Dwight J

Soyuz

• Loc: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada

Posted 14 September 2021 - 12:22 PM

If you backed up your chip I would delete and reinstall.  Sounds like something got corrupted.

#6 davidparks

davidparks

Viking 1

• Loc: Battle Creek, MI - USA

Posted 14 September 2021 - 02:01 PM

China only has 1 time zone and does not observe Daylight Savings, neither does ASIAIR Pro use DST.  Make sure your tablet/device is using GMT and your mount isn't using DST.   I believe the Connect Screen of ASIAIR says something to this very effect.

#7 AstroNL

AstroNL

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 September 2021 - 02:44 PM

China only has 1 time zone and does not observe Daylight Savings, neither does ASIAIR Pro use DST.  Make sure your tablet/device is using GMT and your mount isn't using DST.   I believe the Connect Screen of ASIAIR says something to this very effect.

Yes, I noticed this as an issue. I had DST switched off when I first encountered the problem, then turned it on in the hand controller and that had resolved the issue for a night. Next time I tried it again I had the problem both with and without DST enabled. There is evidently some issue with the time between the ASIAir Pro and the mount, as the slewing only seems to affect the RA axis. However, as to resolve it, I have still no idea! 

#8 glancey

glancey

Vostok 1

• Loc: Santa Ana, CA, USA

Posted 14 September 2021 - 04:14 PM

I am using a 2021 GEM45G mount controlled with the ASIair Pro. While initially this mount wasn't supported by the ASIair Pro, there was a workaround available in that one would select the CEM120 mount which used a similar driver as the GEM45. After having figured this out, I could use the Goto of the ASIair Pro to slew to my targets. As of the latest update of the ASIair Pro (1.7), the GEM45 is officially supported and I had used it successfully several times, meaning Goto has worked without an issue.

A week or so ago the problems started though. For some reason, the Goto doesn't lock in the correct RA of the object I am trying to photography. It finds the DEC without issue however always wants to increase the RA no matter what, meaning the Goto does only move the mount clockwise. It actually just wants to rotate fully around the RA axis, and would crash into the mount unless I stop it. It doesn't matter how close to the target I am, the Goto would control the mount to pass through the object and slews away from it again. Switching back to the CEM120 mount instead also gives me the same problem.  

I checked and my local coordinates are correct, time is set correctly (as is DST), GPS of the mount is working, it knows I am in the Northern Hemisphere but still there seems to be something off with the internal setting of the ASIAir Pro. Even as the Goto was working last time, it would incorrectly identify some objects as being below the horizon, although they were clearly visible. It would not go to Jupiter (saying it was under the horizon), but would move correctly to Saturn (which at the moment is close to Jupiter). This drives me a bit nuts, as the problem I am having seems inconsistent. Some objects the Goto would work for, others don't, and now it doesn't want to stop at the correct RA while still finding the correct DEC without any issues.

Any suggestions on what to try from your collective wisdom would be much appreciated!

l'm having this exact same issue, except with a GM811G mount. GOTO used to work correctly, but since I upgraded the ASIAIR Plus firmware 2 weeks ago, everything went haywire.  I've recalibrated my mount controller, a gemini 2 system, thinking that might be the problem. Sadly, that didn't help.

I see from some comments above that the AAP doesn't understand DST, and that could be a problem. In the gemini 2, there is no DST setting. You simply set the GMT offset for your location, which in my case is -7, and then set the Civil Time, which is just the current time you'd set your watch by. Interestingly, if I set the GMT offset in gemini to -8, the time showing in the AAP app, after I sync the mount to the phone settings, is an hour behind.

I trying to get my head wrapped around this, and I'm not sure what is the correct setting, but regardless, my AAP won't goto and center correctly, but want's to keep jumping across the meridian every time it tries to recenter. Eventually, it just reports a centering failure and I throw up my hands.

I've reported my problem to ZWO support but have heard nothing from them yet. In the meantime, I just received my pre-sale copy of the new ASIAIR Plus and thought now this should work. But, surprise, it doesn't. Same old problem.

Glenn

• AstroNL likes this

#9 AstroNL

AstroNL

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 September 2021 - 04:59 PM

l'm having this exact same issue, except with a GM811G mount. GOTO used to work correctly, but since I upgraded the ASIAIR Plus firmware 2 weeks ago, everything went haywire.  I've recalibrated my mount controller, a gemini 2 system, thinking that might be the problem. Sadly, that didn't help.

I see from some comments above that the AAP doesn't understand DST, and that could be a problem. In the gemini 2, there is no DST setting. You simply set the GMT offset for your location, which in my case is -7, and then set the Civil Time, which is just the current time you'd set your watch by. Interestingly, if I set the GMT offset in gemini to -8, the time showing in the AAP app, after I sync the mount to the phone settings, is an hour behind.

I trying to get my head wrapped around this, and I'm not sure what is the correct setting, but regardless, my AAP won't goto and center correctly, but want's to keep jumping across the meridian every time it tries to recenter. Eventually, it just reports a centering failure and I throw up my hands.

I've reported my problem to ZWO support but have heard nothing from them yet. In the meantime, I just received my pre-sale copy of the new ASIAIR Plus and thought now this should work. But, surprise, it doesn't. Same old problem.

Glenn

Sorry to hear that, it's frustrating for sure. I message ZWO as well and also didn't get any reply. If only I understand how to reproduce this issue as it isn't consistently showing up, which somewhat is even worse. I would love to get some feedback on how to calibrate the time between the mount and the AAP properly.

#10 ShortLobster

ShortLobster

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Stamford, CT, USA

Posted 15 September 2021 - 07:56 AM

I suggest posting your issue on the ZWO forum on their site:

https://bbs.astronom...ing-camera.com/

You may not get a response from a ZWO tech, but there are some very knowledgable and helpful users. 

Edit: I see a post there with the same issue that might be yours. Maybe this approach won't pay out. 

Edited by ShortLobster, 15 September 2021 - 07:58 AM.

#11 AstroNL

AstroNL

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 September 2021 - 09:34 AM

I did some more testing yesterday, and it seems that after the firmware update of the AAP the mount had reset its zero position. I have updated the zero position using the hand controller and afterwards the Goto of the AAP seems to work again. Fingers crossed for now that this really resolves the issue, as it doesn't explain why for some objects the Goto was working even after the update, despite an evidently wrong zero position.  

• BinoGuy likes this

#12 calypsob

calypsob

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 15 September 2021 - 02:10 PM

Yes, I noticed this as an issue. I had DST switched off when I first encountered the problem, then turned it on in the hand controller and that had resolved the issue for a night. Next time I tried it again I had the problem both with and without DST enabled. There is evidently some issue with the time between the ASIAir Pro and the mount, as the slewing only seems to affect the RA axis. However, as to resolve it, I have still no idea! 

I have had my CEM 25 slew the wrong way because the hc battery died.

• AstroNL likes this

#13 calypsob

calypsob

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 15 September 2021 - 05:09 PM

Glenn

Firmware update or ios ap update?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Software, Mount, Astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics