•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Software for capturing calibration frames (cooled CMOS camera)

Astrophotography CMOS
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sheakev

sheakev

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Near Madison Wisconsin

Posted 14 September 2021 - 12:01 PM

There may be a thread on point but I haven't found it. Most threads, YouTube videos, etc. seem to assume you have a DSLR and want to understand how to get a good light source.  I don't have a DSLR and I have the Flip Flap light panel for my flats. 

I have never captured calibration frames (just starting in astrophotography).  I do understand what they are are and how many, etc.  It is the process for actually taking and collecting these frames that I am looking for help.

I am hoping that the software I already have will work but it is not obvious. Or perhaps there is a simple, fool proof way of doing it (it being the capturing of calibration frames (flats, darks, dark blats and bias)). So here is what I have:

• Software (Windows 10 Pro)
    • TheSkyX (with TPoint and camera add-ons)
    • SharpCap Pro
    • ASIStudio
    • ASCOM Platform and related drivers
    • PHD2
    • Plan on using Voyager (not SGP or Nina)
  • Hardware
    • Alnitak Flip Flat ( light panel for taking flats)
    • ZWO ASI 2600MM
    • ZWO filter wheel (LRGB, SHO)
    • Tak TOA 130
    • SB Paramount MX+ mount

Any idea, pointers, links would be much appreciated!

#2 southerndandy

southerndandy

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Uxbridge, MA

Posted 14 September 2021 - 12:51 PM

I know in NINA (I know you said you're not using it, but stay with me) there's a sequence manager, so you can set up your lights, darks, and bias frames.  You put in the parameters for each and hit go and it will run through them.  It will tell you to put the cover on for darks and bias.  There's a separate module for flats, but it's basically just input the parameters and hit go, same for dark flats. 

It looks like Voyager has a sequence configuration manager that will let you input parameters for the different types of images.  I've never used it, so I can't comment on it further.

Using a 2600MM, you'll probably want to do dark flats instead of bias.  You can also create a darks library so you don't have to take them every time.

So in conclusion, yes, your software has a way of automating the calibration frame process. 

#3 TelescopeGreg

TelescopeGreg

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Auburn, California, USA

Posted 14 September 2021 - 12:59 PM

Software for taking calibration frames should be the same software used for capturing the Lights.  Whatever you use for the later, use it for the former.  The key to good calibration is precisely matching things like temperature and exposure.

#4 OldManSky

OldManSky

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 14 September 2021 - 01:10 PM

Voyager has tools for capturing darks and flats.  You'll be fine.

I believe this video covers it, it's kind of long but covers a LOT about voyager:

https://www.youtube....h?v=cPVwnT_MngU

• davidparks likes this

#5 sheakev

sheakev

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Near Madison Wisconsin

Posted 15 September 2021 - 08:25 AM

All,

Thanks for the advice, links and ideas. The video is great, and I saw it when it was new but had forgotten about it,

I will go ahead and pull the trigger on Voyager.  

Clear Skies to everyone!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, CMOS

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics