•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Weather at cherry springs

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 HagglePig420

HagglePig420

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Lanoka Harbor, New Jersey

Posted 14 September 2021 - 01:11 PM

Hey guys just wondering what the weather is usually like at cherry springs, are the forecasts usually right? Or is it one of those places the weather varies like every hour.

#2 Eric P

Eric P

Viking 1

Posted 14 September 2021 - 07:57 PM

In my experience clear forecasts (day and night and next morning) are usually accurate and anything else is a gamble. 

#3 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 16 September 2021 - 10:02 AM

Some of the forecasts out of the National Weather Service are flaky - because they don't put much effort into the Northern mountains, which seems to have its own micro-climate -- only bears, astronomers and gas frack'ers are there anyway.  wink.gif

I've seen the weather there significantly different than the forecast - even 6 hours later. One 4th of July weekend - last night of the period - I saw lots of people walking around looking glumly at their cell phones, etc. Forecast was for cloudy that evening. Being retired - I had no reason to leave - so watched most of the field pack up and move out - long line of RVs at one point. It was perfectly clear that night - all night.

Bottom line: If the forecast is 'iffy' and Clear Sky Chart, etc, shows CSSP is on the edge of a cloudy area -- I'll stay there - or head down if going. If -- they forecast 100% rain/snow -- all the time -- I'll stay home. Even with that - one morning (after 2 clear nights) a friend and I packed up because of a 100% cloudy 50% chance of rain forecast. Eating a sandwich before leaving at noontime - listening to a NOAA weather radio -- they completely changed to "clear tonight" -- and according to the reports I read from home that night -- it *was* clear...... tongue2.gif  Just go - and prepare for any possibility -- including earthquakes!  smirk.gif

• Dave Mitsky and ShaulaB like this

#4 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 16 September 2021 - 11:28 AM

George states the case accurately.  The weather at the park is notoriously fickle.

#5 Pilot87178d

Pilot87178d

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Central Maryland, USA

Posted 16 September 2021 - 02:25 PM

I like to remember the gin-clear brilliance of June, 2018 where Friday was very temperate and both Friday and Saturday night were simply exceptional.  Fcst for the weekend was good, but the sky really performed for us....even had the fire-ball (that was June of '18, right?).

M

#6 Deep13

Deep13

Aurora

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 17 September 2021 - 12:52 AM

I check the overnight forecast the day I leave from Ohio. It's sometimes better there then the forecast, but I usually look for "mostly clear" or better before I commit to the six hour drive.

There's one thing about the weather there that you should know. At night, it's always colder than you think it will be. So dress warmly.
  • George N likes this

#7 reddog1972

reddog1972

Messenger

• Loc: Northern NJ

Posted 17 September 2021 - 10:23 AM

Play craps - you've got a better chance at knowing what's going to happen! The forecast changes hourly/daily/constantly and often times the weather on the field is contrary to any weather app you may be using.  

• George N and Pilot87178d like this

#8 Pilot87178d

Pilot87178d

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Central Maryland, USA

Posted 17 September 2021 - 12:39 PM

Play craps - you've got a better chance at knowing what's going to happen! The forecast changes hourly/daily/constantly and often times the weather on the field is contrary to any weather app you may be using.  

Totally agree......if you are not on the field then it really doesn't matter what the weather is.  What distinguishes this place can be demonstrated with a clear sky for only a brief period - just an hour or two of a good clear window is sooo worth it....just need to be ready to rock!  I can do the CSSP run in just under 5 hours....anything other than conditions forecast for "poor" has me gently lowering the scopes into the truck.

M

• reddog1972 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics