•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Absolute encoders mount for remote OBS

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#51 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 17 September 2021 - 10:51 AM

I knew that something had "happened" because the polar alignment which I had down to about 1 arc minute was now off by 5 arc minutes. So, something disturbed the mount while it was slewing. Fortunately, it's hard to actually damage a Paramount that way because the screw plungers just give way. I don't think that's fooproof, though. 

I'd be very concerned using a remote observatory about support and how access is controlled in a shared environment. I'd be vastly less concerned about whether the mount was a Paramount, an AP mount or a 10Micron. Still, the most elegant solution to mount recovery is a pair of absolute encoders. 

Rgrds-Ross

• psandelle, rockstarbill and AstroCatinfo like this

#52 AstroCatinfo

AstroCatinfo

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Prades, Catalunya - Spain

Posted 19 September 2021 - 02:00 PM

10 Micron GM 2000 HPS. If the funds allow, this will be the mount. Several of my friends own the 2000 and even 3000 HPS, and are really happy with its performance.

I’ll keep the Mesu200 for my home OBS.

Thanks for all your comments.

• psandelle and Rasfahan like this

#53 schmeah

schmeah

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Morristown, NJ

Posted 20 September 2021 - 07:46 AM

Since you are in Europe, have you considered the Avalon M Due?

Derek

edit: sorry, I see you stated > 40kg capacity. Seems like the 10 Micron is your best bet.

Edited by schmeah, 20 September 2021 - 08:09 AM.

• AstroCatinfo likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics