•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Hinode SG - help, having issues connecting to Laptop

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 peterm

peterm

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia

Posted 14 September 2021 - 07:24 PM

Howdy, I am still having issue getting the Hinode to talk to my laptop. I had put on hold for a while but really would like to get going.

The Hinode turns on at the hand controller and appears to work when using the hand controller, everything beeps and lights up. I disconnect the hand control and connect to my Win10  laptop by USB.  When I plug the USB in I hear the “bing” from the SG unit.  At the laptop I just have the option of USB3 per image D. When I try to connect I get “Port Failed to open” per image C.

The attached screenshots A & B seem to indicate either I am not setting it up properly for use with the my latptop or perhaps a driver is not installing? Screenshot D shows what the Hinode display on the screen. I have since uninstalled all the Hutech and reinstalled it but now am unable to get the actual application to install on the laptop, when I try to load the firmware SG1B_V1.15b.bin I get the error as in C.

Being so used to plug n play I can't get my head around this so any advice would be very much appreciated, even a step by step guide on how you people have set yours up. 

Thanks

Peter

Attached Thumbnails

• A.JPG
  • B.JPG
  • C.JPG
  • D.JPG

#2 rigel123

rigel123

ISS

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 14 September 2021 - 08:41 PM

Well, assuming you downloaded the PDF from the Hutech site, I simply followed those instructions.  Did you try to scan ports to see if there were others available?  I’m a bit surprised that you are only showing one port on the screen shot, but then again, I am not real savvy when it comes to trying to straighten out Com Port issues!

#3 hamers

hamers

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Madison, WI

Posted 14 September 2021 - 08:46 PM

The cable that I received with my Hinode was defective, and I also could not get it to work at first.  So first thing I'd do would be rule out a cable problem.    Once I replaced the cable it was fine.  

I've sometimes had USB problems when I have my Hinode,  CEM70 mount, ZWO focuser, and USB3 camera all on the USB at the same time.   I had some pretty significant problems getting FireCapture to work with my mount (mount response would be choppy, other problems) and I couldn't get the Hinode to calibrate at all, even with then mount was perfectly polar aligned.   I finally discovered the problem seemed to be a software conflict, and that if I use SharpCap instead of FireCapture the problem completely goes away.      I'd definitely recommend having everything connected, then reboot the computer, and then try the Hinode before opening any other software.

#4 rigel123

rigel123

ISS

Posted 14 September 2021 - 08:54 PM

I swear computers are fickle things!  I typically have my USB3 camera, the SSM and my Hinode all plugged in at once and use Firecapture and no issues!  The one weird issue I had was that the Hinode wasn’t responding with DEC corrections but was with RA.  When I switched the ends of the cable around as to which end went into the Hinode and which end into the guide port it worked fine!  There is absolutely no reason that should have corrected it but it did!

• peterm, Robinodavo and hamers like this

#5 peterm

peterm

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 September 2021 - 09:39 PM

The cable that I received with my Hinode was defective, and I also could not get it to work at first.  So first thing I'd do would be rule out a cable problem.    Once I replaced the cable it was fine.  

I've sometimes had USB problems when I have my Hinode,  CEM70 mount, ZWO focuser, and USB3 camera all on the USB at the same time.   I had some pretty significant problems getting FireCapture to work with my mount (mount response would be choppy, other problems) and I couldn't get the Hinode to calibrate at all, even with then mount was perfectly polar aligned.   I finally discovered the problem seemed to be a software conflict, and that if I use SharpCap instead of FireCapture the problem completely goes away.      I'd definitely recommend having everything connected, then reboot the computer, and then try the Hinode before opening any other software.

Thanks for this Hamers, I have just uninstalled and reinstalled everything per the Hutech pdf (had done this several times before) but this time I turned the laptop off,disconnected then reconnected everything then started the laptop and then started by connecting to SG app first, I can now connect to the USB3, which is still the only port that shows on the SG app. I then ran the camera and mount and all seems to be working. Tomorrow I will try again on the Sun. The only thing I have done different is having all plugged in before turning laptop on, so you may have hit the nail on the head! Thanks very much for your response!

Edited by peterm, 14 September 2021 - 09:45 PM.

• rigel123 and hamers like this

#6 peterm

peterm

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 September 2021 - 09:42 PM

I swear computers are fickle things!  I typically have my USB3 camera, the SSM and my Hinode all plugged in at once and use Firecapture and no issues!  The one weird issue I had was that the Hinode wasn’t responding with DEC corrections but was with RA.  When I switched the ends of the cable around as to which end went into the Hinode and which end into the guide port it worked fine!  There is absolutely no reason that should have corrected it but it did!

Yes Warren I agree! I had followed the pdf and scanned for ports but only ever shows USB3. I went back with Hamers thoughts and the only thing I can think of that is different is having everything plugged in before booting the lappy. Now I can get the SG to connect to the software, hallellujah!  Thank you so much also for your input!

#7 hamers

hamers

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Madison, WI

Posted 14 September 2021 - 10:43 PM

Thanks for this Hamers, I have just uninstalled and reinstalled everything per the Hutech pdf (had done this several times before) but this time I turned the laptop off,disconnected then reconnected everything then started the laptop and then started by connecting to SG app first, I can now connect to the USB3, which is still the only port that shows on the SG app. I then ran the camera and mount and all seems to be working. Tomorrow I will try again on the Sun. The only thing I have done different is having all plugged in before turning laptop on, so you may have hit the nail on the head! Thanks very much for your response!

Great!  The Hinode also always shows up as COM3 for me too.  I don't know what controls the numbering of the COM ports.  Usually I have at least 3 ports show up when everything is connected.   In any case, I hope this continues to work for you !

Bob

#8 peterm

peterm

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 September 2021 - 12:03 AM

Great!  The Hinode also always shows up as COM3 for me too.  I don't know what controls the numbering of the COM ports.  Usually I have at least 3 ports show up when everything is connected.   In any case, I hope this continues to work for you !

Bob

Oh oh, I just tried the setup again and now it wont even display Comm Port 3 - shows no Comm Ports and won't search for any? The SG beeps when I connect, yet no port. I have checked Device Manager and under other devices FT232R USB UART has the yellow exclamation mark, so I installed again and still wont recognise any port.  Not sure  if I need drivers for the FT232R?  But it does note "no drivers files are required or have been loaded for this device?" So I am at a loss. I reinstalled SG again but no matter what that yellow exclamation wont budge. Any thoughts?

Attached Thumbnails

• no usb.JPG
  • wont recognise.JPG
  • no driver.JPG

#9 peterm

peterm

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 September 2021 - 01:30 AM

Thanks Hamers and Warren for your input, really appreciated because it put me on a track to what I missed.  So I went to Ted and Dave at Hinode, and I have just had this reply back that has totally fixed my issue. I am now connected to Com Port 5 and everything works! This may be useful to others as I have no idea why the FTDI driver went missing in Windows 10, I didn't even realise there was a usb/serial converter in the Hinode.

Yes Warren computers are fickle!

"Inside the Hinode, there is an FT232R USB to serial converter, so you need an FTDI driver.  For whatever reason, it looks like Windows can't find the driver on its own, so you need to go to:

https://ftdichip.com...rs/vcp-drivers/

Download the zip package for your Windows system (32-bit or 64-bit), unpack it, and get Windows to look for an updated driver in your unpacked driver directory.  It should find and install it.  You may need to reboot your machine.

Before plugging in the Hinode, open your device manager and notice the entries under Ports(COM & LPT).  When you plug in the Hinode, you should see a new COM port appear.

Now start the Hinode program and select the COM port which appeared in your device manager.  The Hinode SG program should find it and connect."

Edited by peterm, 15 September 2021 - 01:46 AM.

• rigel123 and fiston like this

#10 rigel123

rigel123

ISS

Posted 15 September 2021 - 05:48 AM

My next suggestion was going to be to give those guys a call!  Glad they were able to work it out for you.  Mine always displays Com Port 5 as well.  Those guys are great. You may have seen my comment in an old post where I had inadvertently plugged the guide cable into the iOptron port instead of the guide port on my CEM25P and fried my Hinode! I sent it into them and they repaired it at no charge and didn’t even charge me shipping to send it back!  They even included a dummy plug to stick in that iOptron port so I wouldn’t repeat the mistake!

• torsinadoc likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics