•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SkyTracker Pro with Ipolar?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Volta55

Volta55

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 September 2021 - 07:43 PM

My build is very budget ( D3100, Sigma 70-300, Skytracker Pro ) and I want to upgrade my gear, but I am on a budget. 
I use Polaris Finder app to manually hone in on the current position of Polaris, but sometimes the stars still streak (usually at full zoom)
I do not mind starting to use my laptop when I go shooting. Nothing worse than a night ruined because something is off.
How much improvement would an I-polar purchase be for me? 
Thanks in advance 

#2 drd715

drd715

Viking 1

• Loc: Fort Lauderdale

Posted 14 September 2021 - 08:05 PM

You could put a "Polemaster " on the tracker to do the polar alignment - available pre-owned in cn classifieds for about $175/$200. But if you can manage a slightly heavier goto mount you can move into plate solving and possibly an ASIAIR PRO or plus instead of the Polemaster. The plus has a dslr trigger control for the camera and will do most of the work from polar alignment to image capturing and auto guiding with a small guide camera.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

#3 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 14 September 2021 - 09:24 PM

My build is very budget ( D3100, Sigma 70-300, Skytracker Pro ) and I want to upgrade my gear, but I am on a budget. 
I use Polaris Finder app to manually hone in on the current position of Polaris, but sometimes the stars still streak (usually at full zoom)
I do not mind starting to use my laptop when I go shooting. Nothing worse than a night ruined because something is off.
How much improvement would an I-polar purchase be for me? 
Thanks in advance 

Not enough improvement to justify the cost.

With my Skyguider Pro, I never use more than 200mm. 

Save your money until you can make a serious improvement with a better mount.   Or an autoguiding system.  There's no cheap magic solution here, sorry.  Or people wouldn't buy more expensive mounts, they';d just use cheap magic solutions.

Edited by bobzeq25, 14 September 2021 - 09:26 PM.

• jonnybravo0311 likes this

#4 Volta55

Volta55

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 September 2021 - 09:32 PM

Not enough improvement to justify the cost.

With my Skyguider Pro, I never use more than 200mm. 

Save your money until you can make a serious improvement with a better mount.   Or an autoguiding system.  There's no cheap magic solution here, sorry.  Or people wouldn't buy more expensive mounts, they';d just use cheap magic solutions.

Are you guiding with your Skyguider? 

#5 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 14 September 2021 - 10:24 PM

Are you guiding with your Skyguider? 

No.  I have a good mount which I use for longer focal lengths, guided.

#6 17.5Dob

17.5Dob

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colorado,USA

Posted 15 September 2021 - 04:44 AM

On a Skytracker Pro. I wouldn't bother. Anything you gain be getting your PA a minute or two closer than the already good polar scope is going to be dwarfed my the massive periodic error in the gear train. You need to use no more than 200mm fl and no more than 45" at that fl. The mount is only designed to use 100- 135mm max. You're really pushing it to go beyond that.

• bobzeq25 likes this

#7 Juzwuz

Juzwuz

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 17 September 2021 - 05:16 PM

I'm not sure if SharpCap Pro directly supports the D3100 with the ASCOM DSLR driver but if it does, then you can easily use the Polar Alignment routine. I think there is also a way to set up a camera monitor folder for SharpCap if you can't get the camera driver to work.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics