•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First fun Solar Capture

Beginner Celestron Imaging Solar
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Matt Blecharz

Matt Blecharz

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 September 2021 - 09:07 PM

Hey all, first solid capture with the Coronado Solarmax III 90mm; Hoping to get feedback/tips for next things to try on the image (I know its not sharp / out of focus) and I should not have used bin2 however every time I was leveraging bin1 the image was bright red and I could not attain any sharper focus whatsoever - if anything it was more blurry almost fully extended; 

Camera - ASI 224MC placed on Diagonal; Converted the image capture to video with pipp, and then used Autostakkert to align, subsequently lightroom

AS3_P100_Solar.jpg

Thanks all and love reading about your viewing adventures!

• torsinadoc and *Solar*Jet*Man* like this

#2 rigel123

rigel123

ISS

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 15 September 2021 - 06:04 AM

Hi Matt, welcome!  Giving us a bit more information will help us help you.  What format did you capture your images in?  SER, AVI, ?  When you say you used PIPP to convert the image capture to video it sounds like you were taking single images instead of video.  What capture program did you use?  

What should be asked first though is have you tuned your scope visually before trying your camera?  The image does not appear to be “on band” and I am not sure if the structure on the right hand side is truly a prominence or an artifact from the processing as I don’t recall a hedge prom quite that long in the recent past.

#3 hopskipson

hopskipson

Soyuz

• Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollution Headquarters!

Posted 15 September 2021 - 06:05 AM

Hey all, first solid capture with the Coronado Solarmax III 90mm; Hoping to get feedback/tips for next things to try on the image (I know its not sharp / out of focus) and I should not have used bin2 however every time I was leveraging bin1 the image was bright red and I could not attain any sharper focus whatsoever - if anything it was more blurry almost fully extended; 

Camera - ASI 224MC placed on Diagonal; Converted the image capture to video with pipp, and then used Autostakkert to align, subsequently lightroom

attachicon.gifAS3_P100_Solar.jpg

Thanks all and love reading about your viewing adventures!

Nice effort, Matt!

It looks like your tuning is a little off.  Is this a single or double-stacked scope?  It's very hard to make out any features.  Did you see any proms or active regions when you looked through the eyepiece?  I'm not familiar with this scope, but I think there is an extension tube on the focuser that needs to be extended to reach focus.

#4 Matt Blecharz

Matt Blecharz

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 September 2021 - 08:14 AM

Hey hey, thanks for the replies - The scope is a Coronado Solarmax III 90mm double-stacked and while I thought I had tuned it, haven't found that sweet spot yet. 

Surrounding processing, the image capture was taken using ASI's software but going to try FireCapture next after reading some other posts - I quickly took PNG, moved them AVI and then ran through AutoStakkert - probably more complicated then it had to be. 

I looked up 'On Band' and Lunt references heating the Etalon; is it safe to assume the Sun takes care of that on it's own? 

Thanks all for the comments, 

• chemman likes this

#5 rigel123

rigel123

ISS

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 15 September 2021 - 02:24 PM

I'll let some of the others that are more adept at explaining what On Band means and the best way to tune your scope take that question.  I will tell you it is best to first tune your scope with the Double Stack unit off and get your best contrast for the surface set in single stack mode.  Then, put the Double Stack unit back on and adjust it only enough to move the "ghost" image of the sun off of the actual image.

As to capture, yes, you want to capture as either AVI's or SER's  (video formats) rather than PNG, TIF, JPG or BMP's.  These you can take straight into Autostakkert (although you can run the AVI's through PIPP to cull out the best frames to speed things up in Autostakkert, but not necessary).  FireCapture works great with ASI cameras.  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Beginner, Celestron, Imaging, Solar

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics